Long thread page links

Forge

One of the guys in the 49er forum brought this up, and both Y2 and I thought it had some merit and wanted to check it out. Is there any way that for longer threads that get to be quite a few pages long, the pages that show as direct links can be the latter pages? Given that we all know its fairly rare for someone to read 30 pages, it seems logical to think that most people would want to see what is being talked about most recently recently, which may include the last 2-4 pages.  Does it make more sense to have the page links start on page 2 underneath the title (since clicking on the title link would take you to page 1), and then showing say the last 4 pages as direct links in the thread rather than pages 1-4 and  just the last page? 

There isn't an option to change how this is displayed.  I can look into to it, but I imagine it won't be something that is an easy change.

However, there are a ton of features to help navigate topics.  Click the blue circle to jump right to the last unread post.   Click on the topic and jump to any page.   Click on the time stamp under the member name to jump to last post.  Create activity feeds,  follow topics and receive email updates.  Most members are not using these new features so please encourage them to test them out and see if they can find ways to utilize them to improve their experience.

Also, this is good time to remind members and mods that we should be encouraging new topics instead of having one big general topic.   We should avoid having 30+ page topics as they are hard to follow and don't encourage new members to join in.    

On 11/2/2017 at 7:36 PM, Webmaster said:

There isn't an option to change how this is displayed.  I can look into to it, but I imagine it won't be something that is an easy change.

However, there are a ton of features to help navigate topics.  Click the blue circle to jump right to the last unread post.   Click on the topic and jump to any page.   Click on the time stamp under the member name to jump to last post.  Create activity feeds,  follow topics and receive email updates.  Most members are not using these new features so please encourage them to test them out and see if they can find ways to utilize them to improve their experience.

Also, this is good time to remind members and mods that we should be encouraging new topics instead of having one big general topic.   We should avoid having 30+ page topics as they are hard to follow and don't encourage new members to join in.    

It's almost like you didn't even design the software. bad webby

• 3 months later...

My only problem with the current page number links is that if the thread title is too long, the link to the last page(s) gets rounded down to a 2nd line, which is hard to see

Jz519wg.jpg

This happens no matter how wide I make the browser window. Is there a way to just edit the spacing so the link to the last page says on the first line?

@Webmaster

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Is there a way to just edit the spacing so the link to the last page says on the first line?

No. This is a commercial software package and I don't have access to the back end code.   I can modify some minor design issues, but there isn't an option to change this.  

Archived