Charles Leno signs three year extension

ARTMONK HOF

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Also, I think we should just take a moment to appreciate the good work of John Matsko. Charles Leno is a guy who had previously been so average/mediocre that the Bears let him — their long-time starting LT — walk away for absolutely nothing, to free up snaps for a rookie who played RT in college and had a lingering back injury. 

He comes here and, while he certainly was not an All-Pro type, played really well for us for the most part. In pass pro and the run game. And that was just one of the multiple impressive coaching jobs he’s pulled off over the course of his two years here. 

The Bears front office is possibly worse than ours, let's just start there for how they in successive seasons let two OTs walk who started for us this year & Lucas started for us at LT last year. Their OL was an absolute mess this year, I'm glad it wasn't us.

The Bears cut Leno because of cap reasons I believe. We come off looking like roses that we signed him to a 1-year $5 million deal. He earned his contract extension, I’d much rather have him locked in than to go into March w/ him as a free agent and Lucas as a free agent. 

For me, OT isn't definitely off the board in rounds 1 and 2 but they'd have to clearly be the best player on the board. We have much greater needs than OL on this roster:

1. QB

2. MLB & LB depth

3. FS

I have those higher than any OL position as needs.

I’d lump OL into the same level of need as slot CB, DE depth, WR & RB depth.

22 hours ago, e16bball said:

I would add Zampese to that list, I think he’s done admirable work with the absolutely zero talent they’ve given him at the QB position. Having the team in position to win games with the corpse of Alex Smith and Taylor Heinicke (direct from the scrap heap) is an accomplishment in my book. Even Kyle Allen played better than expected last season in his starts. 

I feel somewhat similarly about Drew Terrell, the WR coach. The WR group isn’t particularly good — but did we expect it to be? A lot of bottom-shelf talents there, when you factor in Samuel being MIA all season basically. I suppose both AGG and Dyami Brown have underachieved to varying degrees, that’s something of a knock on him. But the (relative) success of guys like Cam Sims and DeAndre Carter has been a real surprise. 

On defense, the whole thing was a complete disappointment this year. I wouldn’t care if they pulled the plug and canned all of them, although I do think Chris Harris is probably a pretty good coach. But their attempt to get that secondary ready to play together early on was absolutely an unmitigated disaster. 

I forgot about Zampese……honestly wouldn’t mind him getting OC duties.  

Chris Harris is solid, and I can’t say that Jackson underperforming should be put on him or the scheme, but it’s not a good look.  

I’d have to think a little more about Terrell.  AGG and Brown, considering how well-received those picks were, do concern me.  

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I forgot about Zampese……honestly wouldn’t mind him getting OC duties.  

Chris Harris is solid, and I can’t say that Jackson underperforming should be put on him or the scheme, but it’s not a good look.  

I’d have to think a little more about Terrell.  AGG and Brown, considering how well-received those picks were, do concern me.  

I never understood why the AGG pick was so well received other than he went to Liberty and people from Virginia knew about him.

Dyami Brown was different case to me. Two things happened with him:

1. He hurt his knee and missed several games because of that 

2. He’s an intermediate to deep WR and w/ Taylor Heinickie’s arm strength limitations, I think obviously affected all of our intermediate to deep WRs, yes, even Terry McLaurin. 

I think if Fitzpatrick had stayed healthy this year that Terry would've had over 1,000 yards & maybe close to 1,500 yards with at least a few more TDs.

Edited by turtle28

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

2022, 2023 Cap hit right at half of Trent Williams. Seems right since he has half the talent .☹️

I don’t know about Leno only being half as good. I’d rather have Leno at 1/2 the price and able to sign an additional player ESPECIALLY the way T Williams acted his last days here. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I don’t know about Leno only being half as good. I’d rather have Leno at 1/2 the price and able to sign an additional player ESPECIALLY the way T Williams acted his last days here. 

It’s such a great contract. Wow, great. Just great.

9 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

2022, 2023 Cap hit right at half of Trent Williams. Seems right since he has half the talent .☹️

I don’t think the performance level between Trent & Leno is that great. Leno is a top 10 LT, arguably top 5. Trent is a top 5 LT, arguably the best LT in the NFL, neither of them give up many sacks or pressures, the difference between the two is not that wide.

Just off the stats I see on pro football reference:

Leno played in all 17 games & played 100% of the offensive snaps this year. Trent missed two games w/ injury. So, already starting there Leno was more available this year than Trent and the best ability is availability.

Penalties:

Leno had just 2 penalties in 17 games 

•Trent had 8 penalties in 15 games 

Trent Williams finished the year with the best PFF grade (98.3) in the NFL at any position. It’s the highest single-season grade PFF has ever given to an offensive lineman, and the next best marks belong to Hall of Famers Jonathan Ogden and Joe Thomas.

Williams allowed 16 pressures from 508 pass-blocking snaps, but it was his performance in the run game that was the stuff of legend, forming its own highlight reel of pancake blocks.”

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

Charles Leno’s overall PFF grade was 81.1 vs Trent’s 98.3 and I’m guessing that has to be mostly because of run blocking. Leno only had 2 penalties all year vs Trent’s 8 while Trent played 2 less games. Trent only allowed 1 sack all year while Leno allowed 6 sacks - which isn’t a lot but is obviously more.

I think having a QB like Heinicke can hurt offensive lines at times, bc wile Heinicke scrambles - which helps him avoid sacks in that way - Heinicke also holds onto the ball too long trying to always make the big play rather than getting rid of the ball quickly and in rhythm so that the pass rush won’t get to him.

Edited by turtle28