Coach Rivera

RSkinGM

This is outta the blue- but this can't be any fun for him. I would not be too shocked if he upped and chucked it - retired. After what he's been through health wise and working for this stinking franchise and Snyder . I know he's not a quiter - yet . I can see him helping find his replacement and walking away .

Edited by RSkinGM

Ron Rivera just turned 60.  Generally speaking, guys who make it to the top of their profession and become Head Coaches in the NFL have incredible drive and work ethic. I seriously doubt he would retire, and you see most of these guys going till they are around 70 years old. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

It's probably ME,,,that's burned out  !

I think most fans are burned out buddy, especially people like us who’ve been fans for a while, have been in this forum for 5 plus years and nothing ever seems to change for this franchise.

I don’t think the last two years have been fun for Rivera - especially 2020 w/ COVID & battling cancer but I do think he’s a very determined man. Rivera doesn’t strike me as a quitter. So, like Shanahan before him, I expect Rivera to stick around even if things haven’t gone the way he wanted them to so far. I think Rivera wants to prove that he’s can crack the code and be better than the former coaches who’ve coached under Snyder and finally make this team a consistent winner.

I hope he has the chops for it but I definitely am questioning if he can get it done. Until he finds a good/great QB - if he ever does - I’m always going to question his decision to not trade up for Justin Fields or Mac Jones in the 2021 draft or at the least draft Kellen Mond or Kyle Trask in round 2 to develop.

• Like 1

I was reading something earlier about the Bears and their coaching search. The two words that stood out to me that they’re possibly prioritizing were “leadership” and “nostalgia.” In Chicago, aside from Ditka himself, very few people hit those notes quite as loudly as Ron Rivera. 

This is way out there in FantasyLand, but I wonder what would happen if Ron went to Snyder and told him that what he really wants is to go back and coach the Bears. I assume Dan would lose his mind, and when he gets upset, his go-to move seems to be trying to “punish” the source of his anger. But can you really keep a guy like Rivera here if he tells you he wants to be somewhere else?

He’s obviously under contract, so the only way it happens is if we allow it. Usually that means some compensation. Would you trade Rivera to the Bears? And if so, for what return? “Bear” in mind that they don’t have their 1st rounder this year. 

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I was reading something earlier about the Bears and their coaching search. The two words that stood out to me that they’re possibly prioritizing were “leadership” and “nostalgia.” In Chicago, aside from Ditka himself, very few people hit those notes quite as loudly as Ron Rivera. 

This is way out there in FantasyLand, but I wonder what would happen if Ron went to Snyder and told him that what he really wants is to go back and coach the Bears. I assume Dan would lose his mind, and when he gets upset, his go-to move seems to be trying to “punish” the source of his anger. But can you really keep a guy like Rivera here if he tells you he wants to be somewhere else?

He’s obviously under contract, so the only way it happens is if we allow it. Usually that means some compensation. Would you trade Rivera to the Bears? And if so, for what return? “Bear” in mind that they don’t have their 1st rounder this year. 

Interesting question.  It would obviously upend the entire front office structure we have now. Since everyone kind of reports to Rivera you wouldn't be just trading Rivera, you'd essentially be firing everyone. So its difficult to answer without knowing who we would hire to replace the front office and coaching staff.  I also don't think the Bears are in a position to trade draft assets for a HC after trading up for a QB last year. 

But for fun lets talk about what the trade might look like in your hypothetical situation. Off of the top of my head the only two HCs I can remember being traded were Herm Edwards for a 4th round pick and John Gruden for the ridiculous price of two 1sts and two 2nds. Gruden was coming off of a Super Bowl appearance and was at the top of his value. Edwards finished with a record of only 54-74, River's is currently 83-72-1. So his value has to be somewhere in between.  I would guess the trade would be either the Bears 2nd this year or a future 1st. 

• Like 1