Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

6 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Not a stretch but also not a given. We haven't seen Baker healthy yet. 

I want Baker to be healthy and surprise me, was pumped when he was cleared and we scooped him up.  But I was really looking to see SOMETHING last year.

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

So we’re on par with what we had last year.  I kid, I kid.

I’d say Edge and CB definitely.    I’d still be searching for another WR also.   Nothing flashy,  just another that lets us move Juju and Hardman around the field more. 

I agree with Edge but not with CB.

We have made this sort of no-name CB corps work for years. If anything, this is better than we had going into the 2019 season. That season we had Fuller, Breeland, Ward, and Fenton. Fuller would only start four games and play best at S with Thornhill out. Fenton is better than Ward was that year, Sneed is better than any of them. New talent is always good but CB is not a need. 

J

8 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I’d say Edge and CB definitely.    I’d still be searching for another WR also.   Nothing flashy,  just another that lets us move Juju and Hardman around the field more. 

I mean, Hitchens was at minimum a valuable leader and an intelligent veteran presence.  Another defensive leader we’re no longer have.  I’ve seen a couple people mention bringing Neimann back, he’s just so bad.  The game is too fast for him.  Special teams is his ceiling and when we asked more we paid for it.

I’m absolutely down for adding a WR in the draft.  I just feel that holes need to be looked at before another offensive weapon.  We still have Powell who I’m hoping becomes what we drafted him for.

15 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Basically haha

I think Daxton Hill could be a target. Hes got nickel corner potential, and could start there potentially while waiting in the wings as the 3rd safety.

Very intrigued by Tariq Woolen out of UTEP. Freakish HWS athletic specimen. Fits the mold for a Spagz corner for sure. Elite potential

Edited by Chiefer

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

I agree with Edge but not with CB.

We have made this sort of no-name CB corps work for years. If anything, this is better than we had going into the 2019 season. That season we had Fuller, Breeland, Ward, and Fenton. Fuller would only start four games and play best at S with Thornhill out. Fenton is better than Ward was that year, Sneed is better than any of them. New talent is always good but CB is not a need. 

J

This keeps being said, not a need, we’ve made no names work etc…We’ve also almost always been talked about with our defense holding us back, a clear weak spot.  Pass defense was a weakness last year again.  Perhaps I’d time to take a crack at actually improving or secondary versus cobbling it together.  All 3 of our “top” corners also have injury issues.  We’re currently a Sneed injury away from Fenton and Baker as 1/2 and Bootle as the 3?

• Like 1

@onejayhawk I don’t consider CB a huge need, but I think it’s one we should definitely look  at guys.   Fenton/Sneed I’m fine with.   But counting on Baker/Bootle is how you end up trotting out Demarcus Robinson talent level  on the final series of a playoff game.     Baker and whomever is below at this point shouldn’t stop you from looking,   I do trust the FO’s ability to find guys here though 

8 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Basically haha

I think Daxton Hill could be a target. Hes got nickel corner potential, and could start there potentially while waiting in the wings as the 3rd safety.

Very intrigued by Tariq Woolen out of UTEP. Freakish HWS athletic specimen. Fits the mold for a Spagz corner for sure. Elite potential

I’ve been stumping for this guy since long before the combine, was hoping we could get him round 3.  After his combine I done expect him to make our pick round 2.

If we trade back into the late 30s-40s I’m all over Gordon/Woolen.

As far as Hill, I could see it, but I think they might go with more instant impact round 1.  Wouldn’t hate the pick, and before we signed Reid that’s where I was leaning.  I just feel a true corner helps more, Sneed can always kick inside.

Edited by EMAW_KSU

8 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Basically haha

Love Daxton.   Woolen scares the ishhh outta me,  he could be a beast,  but dude could barely keep his balance flipping in his back pedal.  

2 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

This keeps being said, not a need, we’ve made no names work etc…We’ve also almost always been talked about with our defense holding us back, a clear weak spot.  Pass defense was a weakness last year again.  Perhaps I’d time to take a crack at actually improving or secondary versus cobbling it together.  All 3 of our “top” corners also have injury issues.  We’re currently a Sneed injury away from Fenton and Baker as 1/2 and Bootle as the 3?

You say a clear weak spot but there is nothing clear about it. Pass rush was the weakness. In prior years run defense was poor. The CBs have been sufficient, as in good enough to win. 

New talent is always good but this is not a need postion. Edge rusher is a need position. Until yesterday, swing OT was a need position. Many thought WR2 was a need position until Juju signed. CB is not that high on the list.

J

1 minute ago, RedGold said:

Love Daxton.   Woolen scares the ishhh outta me,  he could be a beast,  but dude could barely keep his balance flipping in his back pedal.  

He’s Raw, no question, but also probably understands the route tree better than most CBs.  He’s never had pro level coaching.

5 minutes ago, RedGold said:

He was a WR so that makes sense. But hes an absolute freak and sky is the limit if he takes the coaching. Imagine that speed on blitzes, and even being raw he should be able to catch back up with that speed.

4 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

You say a clear weak spot but there is nothing clear about it. Pass rush was the weakness. In prior years run defense was poor. The CBs have been sufficient, as in good enough to win. 

New talent is always good but this is not a need postion. Edge rusher is a need position. Until yesterday, swing OT was a need position. Many thought WR2 was a need position until Juju signed. CB is not that high on the list.

J

CBs are sufficient but arent very good. Would love to have a Ramsey type that can lockdown an elite WR without it being a flagathon everytime

maybe there isnt a good enough EDGE at the first round pick. Opens it up to be, well, something else.

11 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I’ve been stumping for this guy since long before the combine, was hoping we could get him round 3.  After his combine I done expect him to make our pick round 2.

If we trade back into the late 30s-40s I’m all over Gordon/Woolen.

Kyler Gordon? Heard good things about him too. Both guys arent expected to be there by 64 unfortunately 

8 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The CBs have been sufficient, as in good enough to win.

By that argument so has the pass rush.  Sufficient isn’t what we should be hoping for here.  And a quality 3rd CB in most cases will be on the field a heck of a lot more than a back up tackle.

PFF has Baker graded out as a 60 from last year.

6 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Kyler Gordon? Heard good things about him too. Both guys arent expected to be there by 64 unfortunately 

The thing I really like about Gordon is he’s lethal in space.  Pretty rare that 4 out of 5 of the first highlights on a CB tape are tackles.  He’s very smooth moving off his cover to the ball carrier.