2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

Adding Glowinski and Allen Robinson to my interest list in free agency. 

Glowinski, Bars (played muiltple positions but did good as a RG), Daniels, Scherff (won't stop us from drafting someone), D.Adams, Godwin, Robinson, Shultz, OJ Howard, Njoku, Moe Alie-Cox, JC Jackson, Landry, Chandler Jones, Anthony Barr, Reddick, Malik Reed, Kwon Alexander, Levi Wallace, Witherspoon, Haden, Carlton davis, Jabril Peppers, and Tartt. 

On offense, guys don't have to be 25 or younger for me to be interested. I want guys that can at least be great for 3 years or be a good starter until our next draft pick at the position is ready to take over. It's nice to be able to draft someone in have them for the next 12 years, but sometimes you have to get the guy that can help your young QB short term that can help him get over the hump. Similar to when we signed Alan Faneca. He was 31, but played a huge part in the offense. Imagine doing that and Wilson proves he can be the guy. 

If we're not going to use a few picks from the top-3 rounds to help the defense, I definitely want to make some free agency moves. I would love to see 1-2 long term answers on defense we can build around in the future, but if we're going offense heavy again, I want the money to go towards defense. Can't expect Wilson to win and build confidence when he has to score 30+ a game to even compete. 

Many good FA age 26-29.  If Jets' goal is to have solid signing that is good to run thru at least 2 years then go for it.

8 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

At least they are materialized as weapons.

We as Jets fans think they’re weapons… but they’re not established to where teams are scared on them. We have no one that scares anyone is my point. Almost every team has at least 1 of those guys. We don’t have one. Hopefully Moore or Carter can be that. But they aren’t yet 

Just now, JetsandI said:

Many good FA age 26-29.  If Jets' goal is to have solid signing that is good to run thru at least 2 years then go for it.

I think it makes sense to consider it along with the plans to find some long term options. If someone like Glowinski can give Wilson good protection for the next 2-3 years as Wilson grows into becoming a good QB, that's a win. It's not like we won't be able to ever find another RG or draft Glowinski's future replacement. 

2 hours ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

How many Offensive weapons does Zach Wilson and the Jets have right now @ WR + TE combined?

2? 

Sigh. My point was that we always categorize players as weapons on other teams but not ours. 

For example everyone said the fire Gase and hire Arthur Smith because Tannehill left  Gase, got a bunch of weapons and thrived. 

Corey Davis was one of those weapons and now that he’s on the Jets he’s not a weapon. Tannehill has regressed, Darnold still sucks. 

Davis, Moore and Carter are good enough for a QB to produce. Add in a few more pieces to complete the team and you’re fine. But this tons of weapons stuff was getting old fast and every comparison to other teams was irrelevant. 

Zach’s best stretch of play of the season came without Moore and Davis. He doesn’t need tons of weapons, if he gets his top 2 WR back and a upgrade at TE plus continues to build that connection with Berrios he’ll take that next step.

Let’s not forget the ultimate weapon. A stout O-Line. Especially in a run based offense.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We as Jets fans think they’re weapons… but they’re not established to where teams are scared on them. We have no one that scares anyone is my point. Almost every team has at least 1 of those guys. We don’t have one. Hopefully Moore or Carter can be that. But they aren’t yet 

Have a faith.😗

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I think it makes sense to consider it along with the plans to find some long term options. If someone like Glowinski can give Wilson good protection for the next 2-3 years as Wilson grows into becoming a good QB, that's a win. It's not like we won't be able to ever find another RG or draft Glowinski's future replacement. 

Yeah.. unless JD has no problem penciling 1st round draftee in for RG.

42 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

1.) Sigh. My point was that we always categorize players as weapons on other teams but not ours. 

2.) Corey Davis was one of those weapons and now that he’s on the Jets he’s not a weapon. Tannehill has regressed, Darnold still sucks. 

3.) Davis, Moore and Carter are good enough for a QB to produce. 

4.) Zach’s best stretch of play of the season came without Moore and Davis. He doesn’t need tons of weapons, if he gets his top 2 WR back and a upgrade at TE plus continues to build that connection with Berrios he’ll take that next step.

5.) Let’s not forget the ultimate weapon. A stout O-Line. Especially in a run based offense.

1.) Because we haven't had weapons on Offense and for many of years too. The last true Jets Superstar on Offense was #28 Curtis my favorite Martin.

• I bet you can't tell me the last time a Jets Offense ranked top 5 in both categories of Total Offensive Yards and Points Scored?

Maybe 1998 with Martin/Keyshawn/Chrebet? Now those were... WEAPONS. 

2.) Corey Davis really isn't an elite weapon. Only an average career average of only 48 receptions, 668 receiving yards and 3 TDs per season despite heading into his 6th NFL season next year. 

Corey Davis isn't a true #1 WR, he's not even a top tier #2 WR; and he's closer to a #4 WR than a true #1 WR.

Now his former teammate out in Tennessee? A.J. Brown? Now THAT is an elite and dangerous weapon. 

3.) How can you say that? Rookie or no rookie our mediocre Offense only ranked 20th in Passing Yards, 26th in Offensive Yards and 28th in Scoring Offense and  Zach Wilson ranked 30th in passing yards, 31st in completion percentage, 32nd in Passing TDs and 32nd in QB Rating. 

And you're trying to convince us that Davis/Moore/Carter is a good enough trio of QB weapons for a QB to produce? 

Look.

If you're okay with watching Joe Douglas do to Zach Wilson and our Offense what  Mike Maccagnan did to Sam Darnold? To each our own; but I'm not. 

Go to a Dallas Cowboys, Cincinnati Bengals or a KC Chiefs message board and offer them "Davis/Elijah/Carter" as their QBs top trio and they'll absolutely laugh us Jets fans off of their forum. 

4.) Back go example #3; Zach Wilson not only needs weapons but he needs much improved weapons (any elite QB would) because our mediocre Offense only ranked 20th in Passing Yards, 26th in Offensive Yards and 28th in Scoring Offense and  Zach Wilson ranked 30th in passing yards, 31st in completion percentage, 32nd in Passing TDs and 32nd in QB Rating (doesn't lie).

Zach Wilson deserves better than that or else he's going to fail (despite how talented his A++ arm talents are).

5.) I actually agree with you here. Which is why I'm all for Joe Douglas going with either one of Evan Neal (OT) or Ikem Ekwonu (RG) with pick #4 because an O-Line featuring a JD trio of Mekhi Becton (LT), Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG) and either Evan Neal/Ikem Ekwonu @ either of RT/RG has a lot of promise moving forward. 

WR1: Amari Cooper (FA). 

WR 2: Drake London (#10 overall).

Slot: Elijah Moore (can feast outside too and line up all over the offense as an X-Factor). 

TE: Dalton Schultz FA (or Trey McBride 2nd round). 

RB: Michael Carter. 

Zach Wilson deserves that type of Offensive Firepower moving forward and as far as I'm concerned I'd love to cut Corey Davis next Offseason and save $10.5M while doing so (and in 2022 he'd make for an awesome #4 WR).

(We're just going to have to agree to disagree in terms of your vision for Zach Wilson vs. my vision for Zach Wilson and our Offense). 

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships

7 minutes ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

1.) Because we haven't had weapons on Offense and for many of years too. The last true Jets Superstar on Offense was #28 Curtis my favorite Martin.

• I bet you can't tell me the last time a Jets Offense ranked top 5 in both categories of Total Offensive Yards and Points Scored?

Maybe 1998 with Martin/Keyshawn/Chrebet? Now those were... WEAPONS. 

2.) Corey Davis really isn't an elite weapon. Only an average career average of only 48 receptions, 668 receiving yards and 3 TDs per season despite heading into his 6th NFL season next year. 

Corey Davis isn't a true #1 WR, he's not even a top tier #2 WR; and he's closer to a #4 WR than a true #1 WR.

Now his former teammate out in Tennessee? A.J. Brown? Now THAT is an elite and dangerous weapon. 

3.) How can you say that? Rookie or no rookie our mediocre Offense only ranked 20th in Passing Yards, 26th in Offensive Yards and 28th in Scoring Offense and  Zach Wilson ranked 30th in passing yards, 31st in completion percentage, 32nd in Passing TDs and 32nd in QB Rating. 

And you're trying to convince us that Davis/Moore/Carter is a good enough trio of QB weapons for a QB to produce? 

Look.

If you're okay with watching Joe Douglas do to Zach Wilson and our Offense what  Mike Maccagnan did to Sam Darnold? To each our own; but I'm not. 

Go to a Dallas Cowboys, Cincinnati Bengals or a KC Chiefs message board and offer them "Davis/Elijah/Carter" as their QBs top trio and they'll absolutely laugh us Jets fans off of their forum. 

4.) Back go example #3; Zach Wilson not only needs weapons but he needs much improved weapons (any elite QB would) because our mediocre Offense only ranked 20th in Passing Yards, 26th in Offensive Yards and 28th in Scoring Offense and  Zach Wilson ranked 30th in passing yards, 31st in completion percentage, 32nd in Passing TDs and 32nd in QB Rating (doesn't lie).

Zach Wilson deserves better than that or else he's going to fail (despite how talented his A++ arm talents are).

5.) I actually agree with you here. Which is why I'm all for Joe Douglas going with either one of Evan Neal (OT) or Ikem Ekwonu (RG) with pick #4 because an O-Line featuring a JD trio of Mekhi Becton (LT), Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG) and either Evan Neal/Ikem Ekwonu @ either of RT/RG has a lot of promise moving forward. 

WR1: Amari Cooper (FA). 

WR 2: Drake London (#10 overall).

Slot: Elijah Moore (can feast outside too and line up all over the offense as an X-Factor). 

TE: Dalton Schultz FA (or Trey McBride 2nd round). 

RB: Michael Carter. 

Zach Wilson deserves that type of Offensive Firepower moving forward and as far as I'm concerned I'd love to cut Corey Davis next Offseason and save $10.5M while doing so (and in 2022 he'd make for an awesome #4 WR).

(We're just going to have to agree to disagree in terms of your vision for Zach Wilson vs. my vision for Zach Wilson and our Offense). 

Brandon Marshall literally had the best receiving season ever for a Jet.

Davis doesn’t need to be Elite. 

I never said Moore/Davis/Carter would be the top trio but they’re all good enough players to build the foundation of the offense around. Moore and Carter are rookies who haven’t peaked yet, the best version of Davis is a damn good receiver. It’s all about getting them all on the field with the upgrade at TE, additions at WR, a strong OL and Zach most importantly taking a step and then you’ll see what we have offensively. It’s easy to look at other teams without realize they went through the same process and then once things clicked, especially for their QB, they took off.

Zach just needs to make quick, smart decisions. He’ll be fine as long as he does that. 

We are not signing Schultz, Cooper and drafted a WR at top 10 but if that’s the dream you wanna have then go ahead my friend. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Sigh. My point was that we always categorize players as weapons on other teams but not ours. 

For example everyone said the fire Gase and hire Arthur Smith because Tannehill left  Gase, got a bunch of weapons and thrived. 

Corey Davis was one of those weapons and now that he’s on the Jets he’s not a weapon. Tannehill has regressed, Darnold still sucks. 

Davis, Moore and Carter are good enough for a QB to produce. Add in a few more pieces to complete the team and you’re fine. But this tons of weapons stuff was getting old fast and every comparison to other teams was irrelevant. 

Zach’s best stretch of play of the season came without Moore and Davis. He doesn’t need tons of weapons, if he gets his top 2 WR back and a upgrade at TE plus continues to build that connection with Berrios he’ll take that next step.

Let’s not forget the ultimate weapon. A stout O-Line. Especially in a run based offense.

Wilson’s best stretch wasn’t him playing good. It was him not making mistakes. Which is great and was an improvement from where he was to start the season. So he does need weapons. Bc he showed without them all he can do is not turn the ball over. But we still couldnt score. I like Moore, Carter and Davis. But all 3 showed that health can be an issue and consistency might be an issue (more so with Davis). But they’re not reliable weapons.

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Giants open to trading Barkley. Would you offer something for him?

Conditional 2023 pick depending on snaps?

I've been thinking about this. I wouldn't hate it, but I think Carter can be a 3 down back for us. At the same time, that would be a deadly 1-2 punch. When we improve the oline, Wilson may only need to throw 10 times to win games. lol 

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ache best stretch wasn’t him playing good. It was him not making mistakes. Which is great and was an improvement from where he was to start the season. So he does need weapons. Bc he showed without them all he can do is not turn the ball over. But we still couldnt score.

If he had Davis and Moore during that stretch how much better does he play? That’s the part we don’t know. 

And he did play good, only “bad” game was Buffalo and even that one wasn’t terrible.

16 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I've been thinking about this. I wouldn't hate it, but I think Carter can be a 3 down back for us. At the same time, that would be a deadly 1-2 punch. When we improve the oline, Wilson may only need to throw 10 times to win games. lol 

From what I’ve heard we will use the committee approach as back so there won’t be a feature back or 3 down back. Hopefully Ty Johnson never runs another route for us.

Barkley is intriguing because I think he’d thrive in a role where he isn’t accumulating massive amounts of touches.