Masahiro Tanaka does not opt out, stays with Yankees for 3/67 million

JammerHammer21

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

What young players? C.C. is your fifth starter and was worth 2-3 wins. You're not gonna find much better than that. If you're calling up Chance Adams it's certainly not to replace C.C.

Why would you not call up Adams to replace C.C.? Plus, we have Sheffield too waiting in the wings. C.C. is sitting on the edge of a cliff. You never know when he's going over. Save the $12 million, and give a young guy a shot. Or better yet, throw as much money as you can at Otani. That would be the best move they could make.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Why would you not call up Adams to replace C.C.? Plus, we have Sheffield too waiting in the wings. C.C. is sitting on the edge of a cliff. You never know when he's going over. Save the $12 million, and give a young guy a shot. Or better yet, throw as much money as you can at Otani. That would be the best move they could make.

Ohtani is limited in how much money he can get, the initial contract means literally nothing you could offer him $100K if the extension is already set under the table. And you don't bring up your best pitching prospect because C.C. Sabathia is gone, you're going to dole out money for a 5th arm, $12M AAV is a good contract.

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Ohtani is limited in how much money he can get, the initial contract means literally nothing you could offer him $100K if the extension is already set under the table. And you don't bring up your best pitching prospect because C.C. Sabathia is gone, you're going to dole out money for a 5th arm, $12M AAV is a good contract.

They need to do whatever it takes to get Otani. Why would you not bring up your best pitching prospect because you need a #5 start? Is he not ready to go?

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Every pitcher is "sitting on the edge of a cliff".

That's such a misrepresentation. Not every pitcher will turn 38 next year, has more bad seasons than good season over the last five years, and has substance abuse problems (along knee issues).

Like every other player in the history of sports, there's going to come a day when C.C. is no longer able to play due to his age and declining ability. That day could be next year. I'd rather not take that risk.

Just now, jrry32 said:

They need to do whatever it takes to get Otani. Why would you not bring up your best pitching prospect because you need a #5 start? Is he not ready to go?

That's such a misrepresentation. Not every pitcher will turn 38 next year, has more bad seasons than good season over the last five years, and has substance abuse problems (along knee issues).

Like every other player in the history of sports, there's going to come a day when C.C. is no longer able to play due to his age and declining ability. That day could be next year. I'd rather not take that risk.

He's had two bad years, one average year, and two good years. You're not listening and you have no idea what they can and can't do with Ohtani, there is a HARD LIMIT on how much they can spend on his initial contract to bring him over. The money required to get him to America is not the significant issue in a team being able to acquire him. 

C.C. went to rehab and has been clean, and is a quality fifth starter, as I continue to repeat. Look at FA arms this year and find me a 5th starter that's better than him that you can acquire him.

And no, you don't call up Chance Adams because C.C. is there, or if he isn't there. THAT'S the point. If he's ready to go he's ready to go and he'll come up REGARDLESS OF IF C.C. IS THERE OR NOT. 

7 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

He's had two bad years, one average year, and two good years. You're not listening and you have no idea what they can and can't do with Ohtani, there is a HARD LIMIT on how much they can spend on his initial contract to bring him over. The money required to get him to America is not the significant issue in a team being able to acquire him. 

Dude, enough. I have read the entirety of the Otani thread. I am fully aware of what you're telling me. I'm not talking about money down right now. I'm talking about doing whatever is necessary to sell him on NYY and making whatever promises you have to make that you will make up for the lack of money this year in the near future.

Which year was his "average year?"

C.C. went to rehab and has been clean, and is a quality fifth starter, as I continue to repeat. Look at FA arms this year and find me a 5th starter that's better than him that you can acquire him.

I don't want a fifth starter from FA. I want either Otani or one of the young guys to get the shot. C.C. is a ticking time bomb.

And no, you don't call up Chance Adams because C.C. is there, or if he isn't there. THAT'S the point. If he's ready to go he's ready to go and he'll come up REGARDLESS OF IF C.C. IS THERE OR NOT. 

YOU DON'T RE-SIGN C.C. IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO CALL UP CHANCE ADAMS. Do you not get that? That is my point.

3 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This isn't football, when a pitcher is ready to go a team will find a space.

Also, you need to plan to have a lot more than 5 SPs. And Adams shouldn't be up on Opening Day because of service time considerations. 

3 hours ago, NewAge said:

Also, you need to plan to have a lot more than 5 SPs. And Adams shouldn't be up on Opening Day because of service time considerations. 

Severino

Gray

Tanaka

Montgomery

Adams

Sheffield

Green

Plus, we'll have a shot at Otani. If we whiff on him, you just grab a project type #5 SP to hold you over until you bring Adams up.

27 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Severino

Gray

Tanaka

Montgomery

Adams

Sheffield

Green

Plus, we'll have a shot at Otani. If we whiff on him, you just grab a project type #5 SP to hold you over until you bring Adams up.

Nahh I don’t want Adams and Sheffield up that early. I’m not as up to date on Sheffield but I don’t think he’s ready yet, and with Adams, because of service time. I’m not too sure what to do with Green, but I say leave him where he is. Regardless you can’t have too many pitchers. You’re underratring CC, and assuming A.) our starting staff will remain pretty much fully healthy and B) That the young guys can come up and pitch well enough off the bat to replace the 2-3 win player CC was. Look right in our division, Blake Snell, who was a better pitching prospect than anyone we currently have and he came up and struggled. If that happens then whose our 5th pitcher? I’d rather have the depth. It’s 12mllion for a one year contract in 2018 that’s pebbles.

20 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Nahh I don’t want Adams and Sheffield up that early. I’m not as up to date on Sheffield but I don’t think he’s ready yet, and with Adams, because of service time. I’m not too sure what to do with Green, but I say leave him where he is. Regardless you can’t have too many pitchers. You’re underratring CC, and assuming A.) our starting staff will remain pretty much fully healthy and B) That the young guys can come up and pitch well enough off the bat to replace the 2-3 win player CC was. Look right in our division, Blake Snell, who was a better pitching prospect than anyone we currently have and he came up and struggled. If that happens then whose our 5th pitcher? I’d rather have the depth. It’s 12mllion for a one year contract in 2018 that’s pebbles.

No, I'm concerned that C.C. is going to implode next year. He's living on the edge. Otani would be the best cure here. Let's hope that happens.

11 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Right now the Yankees don't even have a 5th starter under contract. $12M is absolutely nothing.

$12 million isn't nothing. It could be used to strengthen another part of the team. But as I said, let's hope that Otani solves this problem.

Which part of the team? The Yankees aren't going to change their lineup much, if at all, and if they do, it's someone like Gleyber slotting in for Headley or Castro. They shouldn't spend money on a Holliday-like DH. A reliever? Don't really need to buy another one, and CC would be a better buy than most relievers. 

On 11/5/2017 at 10:30 AM, JammerHammer21 said:

Which part of the team? The Yankees aren't going to change their lineup much, if at all, and if they do, it's someone like Gleyber slotting in for Headley or Castro. They shouldn't spend money on a Holliday-like DH. A reliever? Don't really need to buy another one, and CC would be a better buy than most relievers. 

Would be nice if they had a DH who could hit. A reliever is never a bad deal, but they seem set there (especially if Betances figures his crap out). Could throw some money at a temporary fix at 2nd or 3rd (depending on where you see Gleyber playing).

Ultimately, I agree that we should be looking for a one-year deal, but I'd rather us not re-sign C.C. Hopefully, Otani makes this point moot.

Archived