2022 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

On 3/26/2022 at 8:12 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Keep him out of here. 

Let him go wallow in Houston or something 

OBJ had no issues with the Rams and by all accounts was a great teammate. Once he got away from Baker Mayfield he didn't seem to care at all that he was just a role player for the Rams. 

• Like 1

Guys I'd still pursue:

• Stephon Gilmore - Would prefer Mathieu but if we can land him you have to do it.

• Tyrann Mathieu - Would be a nice addition to the backend of the secondary.

• Marcus Cannon - Cheap stop gap RT option to bring in for camp competition. 

• Trey Flowers - Familiar with the coaching staff and the perfect low risk/high reward type of player. 

• Andy Dalton - Veteran backup QB who could fill in for Carr in a pinch if needed. 

• Zach Kerr - Cheap NT option that has been average for a while. 

• Calais Campbell - Older but still a very effective DL that fits the scheme.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Both Carr and Adams are close to OBJ off of the field, IIRC OBJ's dad was singing Carr's praises last year while he was a free agent. Adams was also publicly recruiting OBJ to sign with the Packers after he was released last season. 

This is the second time that he has torn the ACL in his left knee within a 15 month span. The last time he tore his ACL it took him a year to recover but he's reportedly looking to return in November of this season. 

Under that timeline he's likely going to miss the first 8-9 games of the season. But as we saw with the Rams last year he provided a huge boost for their offense late in the year. If we can sign him to a 1 yr deal that's built mainly on incentives, I'd be all for bringing him in. 

Dude can obviously play and he had no issues with the Rams last year. The Patriots were also reportedly very interested in signing him with McDaniels and Ziegler at the helm last year so I could see them being interested in him again, especially if he comes cheap. 

Interesting take and I didn't know that he was "close to" Carr and Adams.  I also forgot that the Pats were allegedly interested.  If it's a one year, incentive based deal I suppose we can kick the tires. 

My issue with OBJ is that he is a diva complainer and doesn't play with full effort if the team is not doing well or when he is not getting the ball.  

There is no doubt he would be an upgrade over what we have on the field as our number 2, I'm just not sure he's worth the headache.

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Interesting take and I didn't know that he was "close to" Carr and Adams.  I also forgot that the Pats were allegedly interested.  If it's a one year, incentive based deal I suppose we can kick the tires. 

My issue with OBJ is that he is a diva complainer and doesn't play with full effort if the team is not doing well or when he is not getting the ball.  

There is no doubt he would be an upgrade over what we have on the field as our number 2, I'm just not sure he's worth the headache.

Carr and OBJ have gone back and forth on twitter over the years and were hanging out a ton at the Pro Bowl a few years back. OBJ even has Carr's jersey framed in his house and his dad was singing Carr's praises last year. Adams was also recruiting him to GB when he was a free agent. 

OBJ wasn't an issue for the Rams at all, Baker literally just couldn't get the ball to any of the Browns WRs. 

Any deal he signs will be a 1 yr, heavily incentivized deal, he won't even be able to play until November. But he could be a huge boost for our offense down the stretch. 

PFF has him projected at 1 yr/$5M (3.5M GTD), if that's the case I'd take a flier on him.

Edited by NYRaider

Things I’d still like to see happen:

• extend Carr, free up 5-10 mil in cap space 

• sign Gilmore to 2-3 year deal 

• sign a capable RT - Fisher, Cannon, Queesenberry, Peters, D. Brown

• back door deal with OBJ to sign after June 1 money frees up

14 minutes ago, JarrodR86 said:

I don't think OBJ gets a big deal at all.

5 minutes ago, JarrodR86 said:

We’re getting just under 19M on 6/1 when Littleton and Nassib come off the books.  Signing our draft picks costs under 1m and isn’t done until after 6/1.  We have 7.3m in cap space right now minus Jayon Brown, Harmon, Jermaine Eluemenor’s deals.  The available cap space will be reduced by each of their ‘22 cap hits minus the $935k cap hit player they are replacing in the top 51.  We probably have over 5M after these cap figures are announced.

I’d love to spend the remaining 5m+ on a RT like Eric Fisher, but I don’t think the FO will do that.  If we sign anyone it’s likely Gilmore or Mathieu.

I think theirs a distinct possibility Carr’s extension actually increases his 2022 cap number.  It’ll be very hard to spend 20+M after 6/1 and if we were to add 2 yrs @ 35m to his existing contract and gave him a ‘21 roster bonus of 10M (which still leaves us with 9m to spend on FAs) then it would reduce his cap hits to 30m per year.  If we are going to sign him to a short term deal it makes fiscal sense to pack some of the new money into this season.  We’ve already got a ton of dead cap that’ll be on the books next year so this would help offset it.

if you sign him to a 2-3yr deal and reduce his ‘21 cap hit by 10m your going to end up with 40M+ cap hits on the New Years.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It’d take a stupid team to give him one…. Even then it’s not like he can offer immediate help anyways so even a desperate team won’t see him as an option.  
he’s probably out the first 1/2 of the season, if not longer.

OBJ isn’t worth the headache, cost, etc.  why tie up cap Space on a guy who might miss the whole Year.  Once the guy Is physically able to play then I’d consider him but not earlier.  

• Like 1

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

It’d take a stupid team to give him one…. Even then it’s not like he can offer immediate help anyways so even a desperate team won’t see him as an option.  
he’s probably out the first 1/2 of the season, if not longer.

OBJ isn’t worth the headache, cost, etc.  why tie up cap Space on a guy who might miss the whole Year.  Once the guy Is physically able to play then I’d consider him but not earlier.  

Yeah he's likely going to miss at least the first 8/9 games. He wasn't a headache for the Rams last season and was money for them in the Super Bowl.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Guys I'd still pursue:

• Calais Campbell - Older but still a very effective DL that fits the scheme.

What’s the deal with Calais?  I haven’t really heard much about him on the FA news sites.  He’d be an amazing addition to the defense.

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

What’s the deal with Calais?  I haven’t really heard much about him on the FA news sites.  He’d be an amazing addition to the defense.

He said that he plans to play next season but wants to take his time with his decision. 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Not a “big deal” but I think he’ll still get at least 4-5 mil + incentives and I don’t think we’ll have that plus the continued whispers about a possible Gilmore or Matheiu signing on the horizon. Still have a few players that haven’t hit the current cap figure as I think jimkelly mentioned as well.