It's that time again! (Draft simulator thread '22)

Heinz D.

First try, so no trades, as usual. This made my freakin' day:

Chicago Bears

Trent McDuffie, CB Washington

Wan'Dale Robinson, WR Kentucky

Cole Turner, TE Nevada

Kerby Joseph S, Illinois

Dawson Deaton, OC Texas Tech

Except for Deaton, I actually know who the rest of those guys are (not a year-round draftnik, like some). This would be very cool, if it went down this way. 

Just as exciting, maybe more so. Again, no trades:

Chicago Bears

Jaquan Brisker, S Penn State

Jahan Dotson, WR Penn State

Cameron Jurgens, OC Nebraska

Cole Turner, TE Nevada

Micah McFadden, LB Indiana

It would mean we'd have to find another corner elsewhere...but I can live with that. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Just as exciting, maybe more so. Again, no trades:

Chicago Bears

Jaquan Brisker, S Penn State

Cameron Jurgens, OC Nebraska

Cole Turner, TE Nevada

Micah McFadden, LB Indiana

It would mean we'd have to find another corner elsewhere...but I can live with that. 

I'm a big fan of Turner

• Like 1

Let's trade away:

Chicago Bears

Trent McDuffie, CB Washington

Jake Ferguson, TE Wisconsin

Wan'Dale Robinson, WR Kentucky

Logan Hall, DT Houston

Kerby Joseph, S Illinois

D.J. Davidson, DT Arizona State

Again, it's unlikely Hall or Joseph are around at those slots...but wow. Traded down with Pittsburgh, then again with Arizona, and...there realistically couldn't be a better draft than this, IMO. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd be surprised if Dotson is there at 39, let alone at 71....

@ the thread

Knowing now that our GM and CoGM are both former OL guys, right now I'm thinking that we spend picks on the OL first...

39. I'm going Daniele Falaale-RT Minnesota
71. I'm going Tyler Smith-OT Tulsa (though I'll be playing him at guard and kicking Daniels to Center)

I'll be honest the rest of the picks barely matter, being late rounders.... but I want at least one WR with our 5th rounders, and one of the remaining 2 picks to be a corner. Ideally positionally, the last pick would be an inside linebacker, a safety, or a DL..... Not gonna lie, FA is gonna be wild considering how many holes we have to patch up, particularly with a nearly guaranteed defensive scheme swap back to 4-3, and no current WR worth a damn outside of Mooney.

18 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Which simulator do you guys use? I go between Fanspeak and the PFN one. 

I'm using the PFN one. 

15 hours ago, Epyon said:

I'd be surprised if Dotson is there at 39, let alone at 71....

@ the thread

Knowing now that our GM and CoGM are both former OL guys, right now I'm thinking that we spend picks on the OL first...

39. I'm going Daniele Falaale-RT Minnesota
71. I'm going Tyler Smith-OT Tulsa (though I'll be playing him at guard and kicking Daniels to Center)

I'll be honest the rest of the picks barely matter, being late rounders.... but I want at least one WR with our 5th rounders, and one of the remaining 2 picks to be a corner. Ideally positionally, the last pick would be an inside linebacker, a safety, or a DL..... Not gonna lie, FA is gonna be wild considering how many holes we have to patch up, particularly with a nearly guaranteed defensive scheme swap back to 4-3, and no current WR worth a damn outside of Mooney.

Yeah, the logic of the player availability varies, even between runs of the simulator. That's just how it goes, but it's just stupid fun anyway. I will say that there is at least an outside chance Dotson is there at 39, though.

I'm hoping that center is fixed through free agency, so I'm not as concerned about the line as you are...

19 hours ago, Epyon said:

Not gonna lie, FA is gonna be wild considering how many holes we have to patch up, particularly with a nearly guaranteed defensive scheme swap back to 4-3, and no current WR worth a damn outside of Mooney.

I think the changes to the defensive offseason plan are more with who we’re filling openings with rather than what we’re replacing. We already needed to replace Hicks and Trevathan. Nichols probably fits better as a 3T than in a 3-4 so bringing him back makes sense, but Roquan/Mack/Quinn/Gipson are good fits in either scheme. We needed at least 1 corner (and maybe 2 depending on what they think of Graham) and a safety, and still do.

We’re gonna have to do something of note in FA, because we can probably only count on notable contributions from 2 draft picks in 2022. My gut tells me one big move on a playmaker at WR (FA or a long term Robinson deal) and one bigger signing on the OL, a secondary or tertiary level signing at CB, stop gaps at another OL spot and WR3/4, depth/value signings across the board, then a CB in round 2/3 and BPA at OL/DL/WR with the other 2/3 and R5 x2. 

Completely for fun I accepted basically any trade in Pro Football Network's draft sim, that resulted in extra picks THIS YEAR ONLY...... and yeah I'm also pretty skeptical of their draft board because this was my haul:

Pick 50   Jahan Dotson-WR     (imo there's a real chance this kid is the best WR if this class.... track speed, great route running, phenomenal hands)

Pick 99 Alec Lindstrom-OC   (arguably the 2nd best center this draft)

Pick 99 Tyler Smith-OT  (Meanest SOB I've ever seen for an OL, even more than Jenkins was..... this dude is one of my draft crushes for the OL... let him compete for OT, kick the loser to OG)

Pick 124 Calvin Austin III-WR  The guy is tiny, but he's like if Cohen and Mooney had a lovechild. State Champion track speed, I'm expecting an elite 3 cone time, and is basically uncoverable.... He's an explosive play machine, but he's Cohen sized, so I'm thinking 600-800 yards a year is his ceiling

Pick 135 Christian Watson-WR  I didn't want 3 WR, and I have big questions about PFN's board if this guy is still here, but yeah.... I ain't passing that up. 6ft5in monster, Austin was one senior bowl teams WR mvp, Watson was the other team's.

Pick 141 Jalyn Amour-Davis-CB  I'll be honest I didn't know who this kid was, but he was alabama's #2 corner... worth a shot this late

Pick 148 Troy Anderson-LB  I like this kid as a potential Mike.

Pick 149  Charlie Kolar-TE   He's more of a receiving TE, and there was some hype before the senior bowl where he didn't really stand out, but there's potential upside.

Pick 186 Cordell Volson-OT No idea who this one was (NDSU OT apparently), but the only name on the board I still recognized was Mustipher (sam's brother) and just... no.  Throwing darts at OL depth. Traits pick mostly.

Pick 246 Tayland Humphrey-DT  No idea who this one is, just throwing darts at OL/DL at this point.

Now in reality, I'm not sure I would ever draft 3 WR in the same year (the cap bomb when they all come off their rookie deals at the same exact time would be painful), but I'd be ecstatic with this haul from the draft......  Dotson, Watson, Austin are all WR I really like..... Lindstrom I'm less thrilled with but he can play Center way better than Mustipher, Smith is prrobably my favorite linemen prospect of the entire draft right now, and there was a corner, a lb I'm liking and a potential depth TE so we can throw out the corpse of Jimmy Graham.

• Like 2

No trades. This one has a different flavor than my others, as Johnson was there at 39...

Zion Johnson, OG Boston College

Romeo Doubs, WR Nevada

Smoke Monday, S Auburn

Charlie Kolar, TE Iowa State

Cam Taylor-Britt, CB Nebraska

Wouldn't lose any sleep if it panned out like this!