49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

Soooo maybe the Niners told Schefty this to increase Jimmy's trade value by saying he does not HAVE to be traded and can return? I always thought it didn't make a whole a lot of sense for teams to give up high picks for him since he wasn't returning and he wasn't going to have all that many suitors. 

Matt Ryan is almost impossible to trade due to cap reasons, correct @Forge?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Soooo maybe the Niners told Schefty this to increase Jimmy's trade value by saying he does not HAVE to be traded and can return? I always thought it didn't make a whole a lot of sense for teams to give up high picks for him since he wasn't returning and he wasn't going to have all that many suitors. 

Nope. Matt Ryan is an easy move. He's not underwater or anything. 

They save like 8 million or something

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wait what? Or was it last season where he couldn't be moved? 

Last year he couldn't be moved after they restructured him. He would have cost more to move. This year he's a 48m hit with 40 dead. 

If they can get a real asset for him, and he's okay with being traded, they should move on. They aren't going to be good either way, so may as well take the dead hit now. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Watson doesn't look like his legal situation is clearing up soon & Wilson seems to be staying put

I think the NFL is waiting on Rodgers situation to be resolved and maybe seeing if Cousins or Ryan could be moved. Jimmy G is clearly behind all of those guys. No reason to trade for Jimmy today when any of those 3 become available in a week or 2. Especially when things don't become official until March 16th anyway

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nope. Matt Ryan is an easy move. He's not underwater or anything. 

They save like 8 million or something

Falcons were so lucky to be 7-10 last year. I think all 7 of their wins were against bad to mediocre teams by 1 score, whereas almost all of their losses were blowouts to good teams. Reminds me of when the Niners went 5-11 in 2015 but 4 of those were close wins; we were closer to a 2-3 win team which came true in 2016. 

Falcons are likely to take a step back in the W-L column alone due to that. They should capitalise on the expected regression and weak QB class and trade Ryan for picks including a future 1st so they can make a move next offseason in whats likelier a better rookie QB class. They'll come out ahead in 2023 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Watson doesn't look like his legal situation is clearing up soon & Wilson seems to be staying put

I think the NFL is waiting on Rodgers situation to be resolved and maybe seeing if Cousins or Ryan could be moved. Jimmy G is clearly behind all of those guys. No reason to trade for Jimmy today when any of those 3 become available in a week or 2. Especially when things don't become official until March 16th anyway

Falcons were so lucky to be 7-10 last year. I think all 7 of their wins were against bad to mediocre teams by 1 score, whereas almost all of their losses were blowouts to good teams. Reminds me of when the Niners went 5-11 in 2015 but 4 of those were close wins; we were closer to a 2-3 win team which came true in 2016. 

Falcons are likely to take a step back in the W-L column alone due to that. They should capitalise on the expected regression and weak QB class and trade Ryan for picks including a future 1st so they can make a move next offseason in whats likelier a better rookie QB class. They'll come out ahead in 2023 

I read something on how the statute of limitations for misdemeanors is two years and Watson's team is pushing for a April 1 disposition so many of those criminal cases would go away. I think there is a good chance Watson is traded at some point this offseason and probably even plays in 2022. 

• Like 2

The timing really works against the 49ers. Jimmy has to be gone by the start of the league year if we want to have money to re-sign / sign free agents. Other teams know this and other teams that currently have incumbent starters they may be willing to move (such as Cousins / Ryan), really don't have to be moved until the draft, which gives them nearly 2 more months to just drag their heels. 

Wouldn't be shocked if the niners eat trade value

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The timing really works against the 49ers. Jimmy has to be gone by the start of the league year if we want to have money to re-sign / sign free agents. Other teams know this and other teams that currently have incumbent starters they may be willing to move (such as Cousins / Ryan), really don't have to be moved until the draft, which gives them nearly 2 more months to just drag their heels. 

Wouldn't be shocked if the niners eat trade value

Would it shock you if they can't move Jimmy and straight up cut him? 

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

Would it shock you if they can't move Jimmy and straight up cut him? 

Yes. 

There's a point where the trade compensation is low enough that it makes it too hard to pass up for a team and I don't think that point is so low that the niners would bypass it just to do right by Jimmy. 

This goes hand in hand with the JLC talk, tbh. 

49ers are not getting the offers they want for Jimmy so you get talk that Lance isn't ready, that the niners can keep Jimmy, etc. 

The problem is other team's can just look at the 49ers cap and know either they have to restructure a ton of contracts to make it work or 49ers have no choice but to move Jimmy. 

This goes hand in hand with the JLC talk, tbh. 

49ers are not getting the offers they want for Jimmy so you get talk that Lance isn't ready, that the niners can keep Jimmy, etc. 

Yep, that's what I just said...Kind of makes sense but I'm still holding out hope he goes for a 2nd or at the very least, a 3rd rounder. 

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

The problem is other team's can just look at the 49ers cap and know either they have to restructure a ton of contracts to make it work or 49ers have no choice but to move Jimmy. 

Yep. 

I was really hoping for the Alex Smith trade and was willing to settle on one second if it came down to it. 

But perhaps teams have finally smartened up with regards to these type of quarterbacks. I may downgrade my expectations to something like a 4th this year and a conditional pick next year.