Ideal scenario before draft

soflbillsfan

What would you want the bills to do this offseason? 3 people to bring in, 3 people to let go, and 3 people to retain

3 In:
1. Chandler Jones- ideally want him to be the guy we need to bring the heat
2. Andrew Norwell- he would come in as our starting LG, which will allow us to move on from Feliciano
3. Akeim Hicks- Like jones he can bring the speed on the inside and rotate well with Oliver

3 Out:
1. Aj Klein- while he has produced well when needed, having a more nickel based defense the use of him is minimal when both Edmunds and Milano are healthy. His cap hit is the main reason to move on as it will save bills almost 5.2 million
2. Star- While he has had some sacks and made some run stops he is still a liability and the cost of keeping him around at 9.2 mil is just not worth it. Save the 1.5 mil to pay to retain someone
3. Jon Feliciano- once the offense started gelling towards the end of the season was when Bates was at LG while feliciano played back up. Williams seems to be a respectable RG and the bills can save 3.5 mil by letting him walk. 

3 to retain:
1. Isiah Mckenzie- He has started to show that he could be a capable slot wr for this team long term. With or without beasley I would like to see him kept for the right price. Only problem is I can see Giants willing to offer more to help Daboll's offense out.
2. Levi Wallace- with the depth the way it is at CB2 and Tre coming off a serious injury and the unknown of how he will be, having a seasoned veteran who has been in the system for 4 years would only help.
3. Ryan Bates- He has shown that he can step in at LG in a situation and has overly exceeded fans expectations. Having him on the roster would be beneficial for depth.

I didn't include Haack but I want him gone too. Mediocre punter at best with to many inconsistencies and a high price hit. Bring one in the draft like the guy from Penn State in the 6th or 7th round

Edited by soflbillsfan

11 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

3 in: 
WR Braxton Berrios 
CB Donte Jackson
DT Jarran Reed

3 out:
OG Jon Feliciano
DT Star Lotulelei
P Matt Haack

3 retain:
DT Harrison Phillips
OG Ryan Bates
DB Siran Neal

How much do you think Berrios would command? I assume that Beasley would be cut and that they do not plan on retaining Mckenzie in this scenario?

Siran Neal is another good one to retain, probably on the cheap too.

3 in

G Brandon Scherff - Solidifies the OL for next 5 years. Our major off season acquisition 

RB James White - Reliable vet who gives us a stable receiving RB. Would fit in well with Motor and Zack Moss 

DT  Corey Peters  - veteran NT and cheaper alternative to Lotuleilei. Provides some nice and could be nice rotational piece with Phillips 

Out

DT Star Lotuleilei - Unreliable, helps the cap 

G Jon Feliciano - Disappointing 2021 

LB AJ Klein - Helps the cap 

Retain

DT Harrison Phillips - Shouldnt be too expensive, great character guy who coming off his best season

CB Levi Wallace - knows the system and is a steady presence 

G Ryan Bates - played well down the stretch, provides solid depth at worst case 

* Restructure Cole Beasley and keep him around for another season and potential title run 

Draft BB after FA

CB

LB 

TE

OL Depth

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

How much do you think Berrios would command? I assume that Beasley would be cut and that they do not plan on retaining Mckenzie in this scenario?

Siran Neal is another good one to retain, probably on the cheap too.

Not sure cause there are some pricey guys who could keep the attention of most teams in free agency. I would pay him to be your number 1 returner and your 4th WR who could step in day 1 at slot if needed. 

Let McKenzie walk and see if Beasley takes a pay cut with some money up front 

On 2/3/2022 at 1:09 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Not sure cause there are some pricey guys who could keep the attention of most teams in free agency. I would pay him to be your number 1 returner and your 4th WR who could step in day 1 at slot if needed. 

Let McKenzie walk and see if Beasley takes a pay cut with some money up front 

Only issue is I can see teams including jets pay them what Crowder got a few years ago just because Berrios is still young and was the only bright spot on that offense this year. Would be interested to see his value and worth going after if he can, that special teams has been a disaster this year, Mckenzie and Stevenson were disappointments. I also think an extension on Beasley would be the smart move, as much as I hate his off field comments it would be ideal to keep him around and while he is 32 years old you can add another year where he gets more money and they can spread the cap hit out over those 2 clearing some of it.

Edited by soflbillsfan

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

@BillsGuy82Brandon Schreff plays RG who would be the LG in this situation and would we still keep Daryl Williams too in this scenario as he was our RG with Spencer Brown staying at RT?

I think Ryan Bates earned a starting spot at LG and Darryl Williams cut with Feliciano

In this scenario it go Dawkins - Bates - Morse - Scherff - Brown 

I also expect a OL through the draft in first few rounds leaving Doyle, Ford and Draft pick as depth.

Edited by BillsGuy82

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Only issue is I can see teams including jets pay them what Crowder got a few years ago just because Berrios is still young and was the only bright spot on that offense this year. Would be interested to see his value and worth going after if he can, that special teams has been a disaster this year, Mckenzie and Stevenson were disappointments. I also think an extension on Beasley would be the smart move, as much as I hate his off field comments it would be ideal to keep him around and while he is 32 years old you can add another year where he gets more money and they can spread the cap hit out over those 2 clearing some of it.

Yeah I can definitely see teams over paying in free agency like they often do. I just hope we are competitive in an offer and having Josh seals the deal.

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I think Ryan Bates earned a starting spot at LG and Darryl Williams cut with Feliciano

I also expect a OL through the draft in first few rounds leaving Doyle, Ford and Draft pick as depth.

I think Bates has earned a chance to start but I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing in real competition for him. In fact I hope we do. 

I would love to get a veteran beside Brown on the right side to solidify that side for the a few years. I think we add a OG and C in the draft. 

17 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I wouldnt want to cut Darryl, he has the ability to play RG and RT. He had a big year in 2020 season at the RT position when feliciano was the anchor at RG and he has been serviceable along the RG position. You may be right though they may look to let him go for cap purposes if Schreff is the guy. 

I truly hope we do not keep ford, he has been an overall disappointment and hopefully beane finds a trading spot for ford this offseason. He just isnt good and think it is time to find a rookie to take his spot. 

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I wouldnt want to cut Darryl, he has the ability to play RG and RT. He had a big year in 2020 season at the RT position when feliciano was the anchor at RG and he has been serviceable along the RG position. You may be right though they may look to let him go for cap purposes if Schreff is the guy. 

I truly hope we do not keep ford, he has been an overall disappointment and hopefully beane finds a trading spot for ford this offseason. He just isnt good and think it is time to find a rookie to take his spot. 

Ford was horrible but he not expensive and can play G/T. I wouldnt oppose his release but could serve as depth piece.

Darryl Williams was a nightmare at RT last year. He'd be better depth but much more expensive.

Like I said, I think we can get a piece for the future early in the draft and sign a cheap vet. 

40 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Ford was horrible but he not expensive and can play G/T. I wouldnt oppose his release but could serve as depth piece.

Darryl Williams was a nightmare at RT last year. He'd be better depth but much more expensive.

Like I said, I think we can get a piece for the future early in the draft and sign a cheap vet. 

Daryl Williams was a nightmare because Ford was horrid at RG. He was a bad product of dealing with a liability at guard. Williams was a strong player at RT when Feliciano was RG in 2020. Then they moved Feliciano at LG when Ford couldnt get the job done and Ike wasnt able to outperform Feliciano. Think it would have been fine had they landed a capable LG with Feliciano staying at RG or had a capable RG other then Williams. Things change and brown is clearly their starting RT moving forward and I am fine with moving on from Williams if they upgrade to Schreff. My only concern is how much it will cost? Would it be beneficial to bring in a guy like Norwell to play LG while Williams stays at Rg this year. I am all for upgrades and am excited to see what they do on both sides of the ball particularly in the trenches as that has been their weakness. 

I think the consensus is that the Guard position is the biggest issue on this offense and that someone coming in will likely be an upgrade whether it is at LG or RG. My personal preference is fixing the LG spot while bringing in competition for Daryl on the rightside but I am good with whatever at this point. We need to create cap space so this could be done. So guys like Feliciano and Williams are easy cut candidates. For some reason Norwell is being screamed as the top choice simply cause we continue to dig in the bag of ex-carolina players.