Amazon’s LOTR Rings of Power

Xenos

1 minute ago, SMashMouthMike said:

It’s going to be hard to get this right. But, hopefully they got the right people and enough time. We’ll see I guess. 

With the exception of Wayne Yip, I don't actually despise the Writing team. They're at least experienced in the industry as opposed to people that don't have credits to their name. 

Producers though. Ugh. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

With the exception of Wayne Yip, I don't actually despise the Writing team. They're at least experienced in the industry as opposed to people that don't have credits to their name. 

Producers though. Ugh. 

Yeah I guess. I don’t know anyone involved or their works.

I heard that Sauron isn’t in the first season much or at all. That scares me and could be horrible I fear. But, it could also work out somehow I guess. I’m just not seeing it. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

2 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Yeah I guess. I don’t know anyone involved or their works.

I heard that Sauron isn’t in the first season much or at all. That scares me and could be horrible I fear. But, it could also work out somehow I guess. I’m just not seeing it. 

I almost prefer they stay far away from Sauron. I don't think I could handle Amazon trying to make him an interesting anti-hero as Annatar

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I almost prefer they stay far away from Sauron. I don't think I could handle Amazon trying to make him an interesting anti-hero as Annatar

I took it as to mean that there would be no bad guy in or much in the first season. Hopefully I read it wrongly and they’re  playing word games. To me that would be sucky.  

42 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

I took it as to mean that there would be no bad guy in or much in the first season. Hopefully I read it wrongly and they’re  playing word games. To me that would be sucky.  

I really hate to say it, but this has all the potential to make the Hobbit trilogy look like a ******* masterpiece. 

Writers can't even adapt stories nowadays, the idea that they're going to somehow create something new in this universe is a bit depressing. 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:08 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Producers though. Ugh. 

I honestly don’t know how big a role that producers have these days. How many crappy movies have had Spielberg listed as an executive producer for example? Yip being on there won’t determine how bad, mediocre, or good this thing can be.

35 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I honestly don’t know how big a role that producers have these days. How many crappy movies have had Spielberg listed as an executive producer for example? Yip being on there won’t determine how bad, mediocre, or good this thing can be.

I think it's highly dependent on what the Producer's role is. Sometimes producers are hugely important, other times it's just glitz and glamor to throw on the trailer. 

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think it's highly dependent on what the Producer's role is. Sometimes producers are hugely important, other times it's just glitz and glamor to throw on the trailer. 

He’s listed as co executive producer. Whatever that means. It’s frustrating because he did direct the first two episodes of WOT. But he also had a hand for two of my favorite Doctor Who episodes (Blink and Heaven Sent).

Edited by Xenos

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

He’s listed as co executive producer. Whatever that means. It’s frustrating because he did direct the first two episodes of WOT. But he was also responsible for two of my favorite Doctor Who episodes (Blink and Heaven Sent).

I think you're thinking of a different guy. Yip is only credited in 3 Dr. Who episodes. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think you're thinking of a different guy. Yip is only credited in 3 Dr. Who episodes. 

Yeah, you’re right. It’s the way the IMDB looks when you look up the guy’s filmography. You see his past accomplishments but it also lists the highest rated episodes in that particular series.

• 1 month later...

I will admit that I've only read the Hobbit and a little of LotR but this feels different than the Peter Jackson films, and that's not a bad thing but I'm not getting LotR vibes from the show. Again, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm still hopeful for a good fantasy series.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some orcs have been revealed from the show

NGL the look pretty bad a** and has me slightly more excited for the show I guess there will be female orcs as well

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-orcs-exclusive

New commercial for the show as well possible Ents having a spot in the show too?

This has gotta be one of the cooler commercials ive seen

Edited by mattyice0401

Couple things that caught my eye in the article

“You go back 20 years and we used a basically foam latex, which is like a porous-y kind of rubbery, spongy material with a smooth or whatever textured surface. It was great at the time. But it was actually just at the end of doing Lord of the Rings that we did the very first encapsulated silicon for Gimli. At the end of that, he got to start wearing silicons, but now it's common. So all the ears, noses, Orcs pieces are all made in encapsulated silicon, which is basically two layers of silicon with a moveable piece of silicon in the middle, so when it's applied to the actor's face, they can move and it works. It also gets the same temperature as their skin. And you can see the translucency and then you gently paint on the top of it, a bit like doing makeup on a human rather than having to seal and heavily paint like we did in the old days.”

Now, we all love our practical effects, but both Wilson and Weber want to make it clear that this series is a marriage between CGI and practical. (This is the case for every film and series, don’t panic.)

But, again, don’t worry about the series looking top-tier. Not only is a close marriage between visual and practical effects commonplace, but the Orcs that you see up close and personal are about as pure practical as you can be. (Note: touch-ups and such will still apply.)

“We did decide from the outset that we would try and make this a very real show,” Wilson added. “So therefore, we tried to use real prosthetics and everything and minimize the visual effects, because there are hundreds of productions that are heavy on visual effects, and you can see it, that the human eye is getting better and better and knows what is real and knows what isn't, because we are just getting so deloused with all this product that you begin to know.”

Seems like theyre trying their best to have a good balance of CGI and acting? Not too sure what the correct word is maybe its practical effects?

• Like 1