Three Safest Selections

Raidersfan1

In the first round. Available at #20. Neither Tyler Linderbaum nor Jordan Davis will be available. Dig deep.

1) Darrian Beavers LB

Highly instinctive, physical, Ray Lewis type force in the middle. Feared by many, loved by all.

Need: 8/10

2) Jermaine Johnson OLB

Explosive juggernaut from the rush position. Best from standing up where he can set up the defender and utilize his physical dominance or his pass rush arsenal.

Need: 7/10

3) Bernhard Raimann OT

Elder statesman but raw. His physical traits play. Plug and play at right tackle. Piece is solid in that you can kick Dan Moore into guard after you sign Terron Armstead. That fortifies the line and allows you to start to address other needs.

Need: 10/10

Three riskiest: ANY CB, ANY QB, Nakobe Dean

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raidersfan1 said:

In the first round. Available at #20. Neither Tyler Linderbaum nor Jordan Davis will be available. Dig deep.

1) Darrian Beavers LB

Highly instinctive, physical, Ray Lewis type force in the middle. Feared by many, loved by all.

Need: 8/10

2) Jermaine Johnson OLB

Explosive juggernaut from the rush position. Best from standing up where he can set up the defender and utilize his physical dominance or his pass rush arsenal.

Need: 7/10

3) Bernhard Raimann OT

Elder statesman but raw. His physical traits play. Plug and play at right tackle. Piece is solid in that you can kick Dan Moore into guard after you sign Terron Armstead. That fortifies the line and allows you to start to address other needs.

Need: 10/10

Three riskiest: ANY CB, ANY QB, Nakobe Dean

Beavers is solid. Pass coverage is his weakness in my opinion. Johnson is an average player. Yeah he showed out at the Senior Bowl but his tape was underwhelming. Haven't watched Raimann yet but I'm satisfied with Dan Moore at LT.

• Like 1

I'd argue those aren't the safest picks at all, at least in RD 1.
I don't mind them as RD 2 picks..

Kenyon Green at OG - will be a stud at OG or RT.
Charles Cross at OT - most likely gone at 20, but a very safe pick.
Zion Johnson at OG - He's a plug and play starter (and a Steelers fan)
Trevor Penning at OT - very likely long term starter.

Edited by mwalker
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, mwalker said:

I'd argue those aren't the safest picks at all, at least in RD 1.
I don't mind them as RD 2 picks..

Kenyon Green at OG - will be a stud at OG or RT.
Charles Cross at OT - most likely gone at 20, but a very safe pick.
Zion Johnson at OG - He's a plug and play starter (and a Steelers fan)
Trevor Penning at OT - very likely long term starter.

No to Penning. That senior bowl crap isn't football. I loved his teammate last year in Spencer Brown who was drafted by the Bills. What good matchup against a quality player can I go watch Penning? I warn many against football vs wrestling on the field as Penning showed a lack of strength and fundamentals so he resorted to hip throws.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

No to Penning. That senior bowl crap isn't football. I loved his teammate last year in Spencer Brown who was drafted by the Bills. What good matchup against a quality player can I go watch Penning? I warn many against football vs wrestling on the field as Penning showed a lack of strength and fundamentals so he resorted to hip throws.

Yea, I agree Green, Cross and Johnson are more true RD 1 "safe picks".

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

I don’t know.  I think he has plenty of strength.  I do think he lacks fundamentals. I see him try to do it in the game tape too.  I think that can be coached out.  I think he’s just played against lesser competition and could tag doll people.

1 minute ago, Blitzburgh said:

I don’t know.  I think he has plenty of strength.  I do think he lacks fundamentals. I see him try to do it in the game tape too.  I think that can be coached out.  I think he’s just played against lesser competition and could tag doll people.

@Blitzburghive watched a couple of Penning's cutups; I don't want him on the Steelers at all. He has nothing that excites me. He's listed as big but only 6'6 305lbs. He lacks athleticism, struggles with redirecting his body, lack of strength, struggles in space, and sucks at pass blocking. I'm sorry but that dude shouldn't be drafted until day 3. His film is so underwhelming that I was speechless. Spencer Brown was a way better prospect. Penning should be moved to Guard in the NFL.

27 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

@Blitzburghive watched a couple of Penning's cutups; I don't want him on the Steelers at all. He has nothing that excites me. He's listed as big but only 6'6 305lbs. He lacks athleticism, struggles with redirecting his body, lack of strength, struggles in space, and sucks at pass blocking. I'm sorry but that dude shouldn't be drafted until day 3. His film is so underwhelming that I was speechless. Spencer Brown was a way better prospect. Penning should be moved to Guard in the NFL.

Yes I do think he will be a better guard.  I think he will struggle with pass protection  at the next level.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

Yes I do think he will be a better guard.  I think he will struggle with pass protection  at the next level.

True but does he have the functional strength to play big boy football on the interior of the OL? He plays tall and leaves his chest open. He probably needs to work on his lower body bend so he can get lower.

It’s becoming a yearly thing where a small school guy ends up mocked high, they are dissected by fans to the point of a much lower pick, then end up being decent. 

One that sticks out to me was when I pounded the table for Cooper Kupp, even calling him an AB clone, in the year everyone loved Corey Davis. 

Small school guys aren’t really coached or developed. I’ll take the risk of that once a draft. 

17 hours ago, warfelg said:

It’s becoming a yearly thing where a small school guy ends up mocked high, they are dissected by fans to the point of a much lower pick, then end up being decent. 

One that sticks out to me was when I pounded the table for Cooper Kupp, even calling him an AB clone, in the year everyone loved Corey Davis. 

Small school guys aren’t really coached or developed. I’ll take the risk of that once a draft. 

That is ludicrous! Some of the smaller school guys are better technicians because they're not the elite tier athletes from Power 5 and similar schools. That is coded or scouts jargon for I didn't really watch this guy or lack of film so I'll say he is raw or undeveloped.