Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

The thing with gruden here is this. Not only did he fail to replace guys, draft and develop well and scout, he had a controlling ego that rubbed the front office the wrong way. He got his way bringing in Bruce Allen. He flipped out when McCay drafted chris Simms. Has he learned from those mistakes? Can he relinquish control to the powers that be? 

Its very difficult to be the head coach and GM. Only bellicheck has really mastered that dual role. 

I think bringing back gruden is risky. Is he a good football coach? Yes. But his ego ran him outta town and rightfully so. 

1 minute ago, REDandPEWTER said:

The thing with gruden here is this. Not only did he fail to replace guys, draft and develop well and scout, he had a controlling ego that rubbed the front office the wrong way. He got his way bringing in Bruce Allen. He flipped out when McCay drafted chris Simms. Has he learned from those mistakes? Can he relinquish control to the powers that be? 

Its very difficult to be the head coach and GM. Only bellicheck has really mastered that dual role. 

I think bringing back gruden is risky. Is he a good football coach? Yes. But his ego ran him outta town and rightfully so. 

I'd like to think that he's changed a bit since he last coached.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'd like to think that he's changed a bit since he last coached.

Me too but I mean who knows really. I'd rather not bring back an ex coach we fired. 

I really like Bill obrien and if he's let go. Him and licht know each other well. I think he'd be a good fit in Tampa. Look what he's done with no qb in Houston before deshaun Watson 

3 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

So what your saying is Gruden (aside from Caddy over Rodgers) may actually be able to find decent draft prospects and develop a team, he just never had the chance to.

With how Gruden likes to run the ball, and rightfully so, I think we go after Barkley if Chubb isn’t on the board. One two punch of Barkley and Barber would be huge for the offense and Jameis. Just have to get the DL right through 2nd and 3rd round picks and maybe Ziggy or Lawrence in FA.

well I encourage everyone to go back and watch video of Rodgers at Cal and decide if he was worth 5 overall with those mechanics.  If the answer is yes, then there should be no question Winston should continue to at least show incremental improvement with his.

They need another RB, no doubt.  I doubt Barkley makes it past the Niners, Lynch has already stated about getting more offensive weapons.  I wouldnt have an issue with Chubb over Barkley, but any other defensive prospect right now, Im not as high on.

13 hours ago, ravishingone said:

well I encourage everyone to go back and watch video of Rodgers at Cal and decide if he was worth 5 overall with those mechanics.  If the answer is yes, then there should be no question Winston should continue to at least show incremental improvement with his.

They need another RB, no doubt.  I doubt Barkley makes it past the Niners, Lynch has already stated about getting more offensive weapons.  I wouldnt have an issue with Chubb over Barkley, but any other defensive prospect right now, Im not as high on.

Rodgers also sat three years to improve those mechanics. 

Also the way my boy Jimmy G is playing, numbers might win another game. 

26 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Rodgers also sat three years to improve those mechanics. 

Also the way my boy Jimmy G is playing, numbers might win another game. 

We didn't have the established QB for those guys to sit behind. That makes a huge difference for any QB. Just being in an NFL system for a year or more makes almost every QB better than most coming straight out of college.

We wouldn't have the Aaron Rodgers or Jimmy G we're seeing today because both guys would have been day one starters. They wouldn't have had time to sit and work on their flaws. They would have been learning on the fly and compensating for deficiencies. They would be in different offensive systems. Just like Steve Young way back when.

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Reaching out to assistant coaches? Is that even really verifiable?

Either way, if Koetter goes, it sounds like Gruden is pretty much a guarantee.

I think it is veriiable in two ways,  Coaches who are retired like Bill Muir.  Second, most assistants only get 2 year deals, I would not be surprised coaches making calls to try and get hired.  All coaches live such a gypsy life style, it is crazy how many times they move in their careers.  It s pretty obvious the Glazers want this to happen, there is just way too much smoke at this point.  Sit back and see what happens.

9 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

It s pretty obvious the Glazers want this to happen, there is just way too much smoke at this point.  Sit back and see what happens.

Which is weird. Aside from Koetter's promotion, I haven't had a clue about what they were gonna do.

17 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I guess he got over the Simms draft because he started a playoff game against the Skins and was replaced as a starter when he almost died on the field.  I cant blame a QB being mentally cooked after that.    I appreciate what McKay did for the organization,  but how happy was McKay when he was over ruled from hiring Marvin Lewis by the Glazers.  He got his authority chopped out by the Glazers, I doubt he was giddy no matter the eventual outcome, especially when  Blank offered basically total control in Atlanta.

19 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Which is weird. Aside from Koetter's promotion, I haven't had a clue about what they were gonna do.

Yes and no, there was  lot of chatter after Dungy s last playoff loss Parcells was coming.  Even Keyshawn made an indirect comment about Parcells after the game.  The whole Winston/Mariotta debate started really early when Jameis came to OBP early in the draft process.  

I do understand your point, but if it is true they asked Gruden to come back before Lovie was hired then this isnt a surprise at this time.  The Gruden coaching tree is looking pretty good right now.  Hackett and Wash with the Jags.  McVay and Olson in LA.  Shanahan in SF.  Gruden in Washington.  Tomlin you could go either way.  I think the guy knows how to assemble a staff.

Archived