Dirk Koetter sticking around for 2018, Mike Smith and all assistant coaches too

bucsfan333

14 minutes ago, indifference said:

Agreed. The Glazers have the most influence with the head coaching decision. Its never been up to the GM and we definitely need somebody with a football mind inside OBP to make thse type of decisions. DK isn't a horrible head coach but if he wants to keep his job he will have to make decisions. Fire his good friend Mike Smith and bring in a whole different defensive staff. The Bucs didn't quit on DK which is a sign that team believes in him. I'm OK with keeping him for a year. Licht has to be gone though.

I think mike smith is getting a raw deal. hes taking the beating Jason licht should be taking due to bringing in no talent to the defensive line. When your line can't breath on a QB, your secondary is going to suffer and the defense will never be good. It's not all on mike smith. 

19 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I think mike smith is getting a raw deal. hes taking the beating Jason licht should be taking due to bringing in no talent to the defensive line. When your line can't breath on a QB, your secondary is going to suffer and the defense will never be good. It's not all on mike smith. 

Its not ALL on Mike Smith but he is part of the issue. Like its mind boggling how they let Julio Jones shred them for 200+ yards the first match-up. Like wth are we gameplanning throughout the week??? Its like we fail to key in on the offensive best players week in and week out. They did a halfway decent job last night but even then Freeman was just wide open the whole game. Unpreparedness by the defense when things are obvious from a watchers standpoint is frustrating.

My issue with Mike Smith is that whenever we play a team. Their best skill position player will find a way to have a good game. Olson, Jones, Thomas have been killing us for years.

A great example/scheme is Rod Marnelli. Or Patricia from the Patriots. They play a ton of 2 man over and cheat the safeties toward the best receivers forcing their opponents to use their second third or fourth best option.

9 minutes ago, indifference said:

Its not ALL on Mike Smith but he is part of the issue. Like its mind boggling how they let Julio Jones shred them for 200+ yards the first match-up. Like wth are we gameplanning throughout the week??? Its like we fail to key in on the offensive best players week in and week out. They did a halfway decent job last night but even then Freeman was just wide open the whole game. Unpreparedness by the defense when things are obvious from a watchers standpoint is frustrating.

It sounds awful but it's also difficult to cover a guy when your pass rush can't touch a qb. You have to make the qb throw the ball sooner than anticipated. With our pass rush qbs can basically hold the ball til a receiver works his way open. 

Like ive said before, this might be the worst DL I've ever seen and maybe in the history of the NFL. Licht needs to be held accountable for that. 

He brought in Baker and drafted the behemoth Stevie T. Baker has been unimpressive and Stevie T has been on IR all year. So our DTs suck, but it's not through lack of effort.

DE blows my mind. Even if Spence didn't get hurt on his first snap this year, we have NOBODY else. Hell, even if Spence was on pace for the 15 sacks everyone projected, our pass rush would still suck. 

9 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

He brought in Baker and drafted the behemoth Stevie T. Baker has been unimpressive and Stevie T has been on IR all year. So our DTs suck, but it's not through lack of effort.

DE blows my mind. Even if Spence didn't get hurt on his first snap this year, we have NOBODY else. Hell, even if Spence was on pace for the 15 sacks everyone projected, our pass rush would still suck. 

He should of brought in Calias Campbell and this defense looks completely different. I understand why he was so reluctant to dish out money but dude, Campbell has been dominant for majority of his career. You pay people that have proven to be great, not paying people based off potential(Johnson and Sweezy)

40 minutes ago, indifference said:

He should of brought in Calias Campbell and this defense looks completely different. I understand why he was so reluctant to dish out money but dude, Campbell has been dominant for majority of his career. You pay people that have proven to be great, not paying people based off potential(Johnson and Sweezy)

It sounds like our options were pretty much Calais Campbell OR William Gholston and Chris Baker. We opted for two players over one. And we whiffed. HARD.

3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

It sounds like our options were pretty much Calais Campbell OR William Gholston and Chris Baker. We opted for two players over one. And we whiffed. HARD.

I understand the optics, but Licht played the odds.  He was a 30 yr old dlineman who played a lot of snaps.  Ayers was similiar age and look how he has fallen off in yr 2.

I dont have an issue with a GM sticking to his board.  We all mention talent over need.  The Aguayo pick is the killer for Licht.  I had no issue with him trying to build the oline first to save his QB from getting pummeled.

Dom actually  tried to draft dline who should be major contributors, that didnt work out so well.  I think ultimately Licht will be sent out the door with the coaching staff.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

I'm not faulting Licht for doing it. Nobody saw Campbell having a career year this year.

I'm not faulting him for not signing Campbell. 

But I am for signing swaggy baker. Washington media even stated he was lazy and hated to practice and his work ethic was poor. Licht said the players he looks for are those who dedicate and love the sport. 

18 hours ago, indifference said:

ok lets not pretend that Calias Campbell is a savior and makes "our defense look completely different"  thats just false

Campbell is good , hes great , but come on

he has 2 of the best corners in football giving him all day to get to the QB , and he has Ngakue , Fowler , Malik jackson to take pressure off of him,  with all that , yeah , he should be dominating , which he is so good for him

Just now, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

he also wasnt putting up 14.5 sacks... ever

the closest he got to that in AZ was 9 in 2013

He's having the year of his career. (RHYMES FOR DAYS!!!) And he's not gonna do this again next year. But he definitely would've helped. Especially when the alternative is Chris Baker and William Gholston.

But again. Hindsight and all that.

50 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

he also wasnt putting up 14.5 sacks... ever

the closest he got to that in AZ was 9 in 2013

Campbell was in a 3-4 defense with AZ. His sack numbers are going to be low as a 3-4 DE anyway. Place him in a 4-3, where he can get more 1v1 opportunities and he is wrecking havoc. I can only imagine what McCoy and Campbell could do right now.

Archived