2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

Well, glad I didn't make a post yesterday about one thing you would like to see the new Front Office change the most -- mine was going to be doing extensions that you know you are going to do earlier so that teams don't beat you to the punch and you have to add $2-4M (or more if they go after Johnson) just because you waited. 

I'm still shocked every time someone who has covered this team for years doesn't understand that the Steelers have notoriously waited for the return to camp to hand out extension. Aditi's continual desire to position anything Steelers related as a negative is wild. 

This is awesome they just took care of it now instead of letting this hang. I would still be shocked if they extended Boswell before camp, though, and he should be the other no-brainer. 

56 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Well, glad I didn't make a post yesterday about one thing you would like to see the new Front Office change the most -- mine was going to be doing extensions that you know you are going to do earlier so that teams don't beat you to the punch and you have to add $2-4M (or more if they go after Johnson) just because you waited. 

I'm still shocked every time someone who has covered this team for years doesn't understand that the Steelers have notoriously waited for the return to camp to hand out extension. Aditi's continual desire to position anything Steelers related as a negative is wild. 

This is awesome they just took care of it now instead of letting this hang. I would still be shocked if they extended Boswell before camp, though, and he should be the other no-brainer. 

It would have been nice to see them re-sign DJ before the AJ Brown, Tyreek, Diggs, Kupp and Adams contracts were handed out. All are better players than DJ but still, the WR contracts have gotten out of hand this offseason. I’m sure Terry McLaurin will be getting a bag soon as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

It would have been nice to see them re-sign DJ before the AJ Brown, Tyreek, Diggs, Kupp and Adams contracts were handed out. All are better players than DJ but still, the WR contracts have gotten out of hand this offseason. I’m sure Terry McLaurin will be getting a bag soon as well.

Yup! And I wrote out his example. It's an extreme, but you can honestly be talking about at $8M swing from beginning of off-season to training camp if DK, McLaurin, and Samuel sign extensions. 

If you know you want a guy and money isn't the factor in the decision - like with Minkah, TJ, or even Boz -- just do it. The only think the "Steelers Way" would do it cost you money. The second post you had about Derwin James was my talking point for Minkah. If Derwin signs for $18, you might have to pay Minkah $19-20M just because the way it works. So for both Minkah and DJ, you are talking an additional $5M-10M just for waiting. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

Expected.

Dont love the deal, but expected.

Better hope the defense around him improves so we can get the most out of this.

Biggest factors on the defense improving imo

- The Bush/Jack duo

- How well we do replacing Tuitt

- Highsmith stepping up to be a double digit/near double digit sack guy

If those 3 things work out I think we go back to being a top 5 defense. I still would love to see them make an aggressive move to upgrade the other DE spot but I doubt they will after just spending a 3rd on Leal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Boz contract will/should be low hanging fruit.  I just do not see them paying DJ $25M

I think they will offer DJ in the 18-20 range. He’ll have the ability to get 22+ on the open market though and possibly more if he decides to bet on himself and has a monster season (worst case scenario). I think it will come down to if he will take that hometown “discount” to stay in Pitt.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think they will offer DJ in the 18-20 range. He’ll have the ability to get 22+ on the open market though and possibly more if he decides to bet on himself and has a monster season (worst case scenario). I think it will come down to if he will take that hometown “discount” to stay in Pitt.

This team is an absolute joke if they pay DJ that much, especially considering they let Juju, a better player, walk for less.

Let some team pay him 22.   Ill have a good laugh as long as it isnt us.

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

This team is an absolute joke if they pay DJ that much, especially considering they let Juju, a better player, walk for less.

Let some team pay him 22.   Ill have a good laugh as long as it isnt us.

JuJu is not a better WR than DJ…

What has JuJu done since AB left?

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

JuJu is not a better WR than DJ…

What has JuJu done since AB left?

Injuries to himself and Bens elbow were much bigger issues than AB leaving.

Juju was banged up and thus wasnt that dependable the last few years, so if you want to call DJ better, so be it...but youre delusional if you think he is THAT much better.   Juju has much much more reliable hands and is more physical.   DJ does certain things better than Juju, but he certainly isnt on a different level that warrants such a huge payday over what Juju got.

Im not even opposed to keeping DJ...if they were hesitant to pay Juju big money, they should be pretty damn hesitant about DJ as well.   

As I said before, just because we will have money to spend doesnt mean we should be as dumb as Jacksonville is with their cap space.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

DJ is getting tagged or walking. 

That tag is likely to be north of $25M and that's a hard cap hit. No flexibility. Which is a big reason why if I can get him around $20M on what equates to a 2 year deal WITH flexibility, I would do it in a heartbeat. 

IMO, the options are sign him or let him walk.....and the walk part sucks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Injuries to himself and Bens elbow were much bigger issues than AB leaving.

Juju was banged up and thus wasnt that dependable the last few years, so if you want to call DJ better, so be it...but youre delusional if you think he is THAT much better.   Juju has much much more reliable hands and is more physical.   DJ does certain things better than Juju, but he certainly isnt on a different level that warrants such a huge payday over what Juju got.

Im not even opposed to keeping DJ...if they were hesitant to pay Juju big money, they should be pretty damn hesitant about DJ as well.   

As I said before, just because we will have money to spend doesnt mean we should be as dumb as Jacksonville is with their cap space.

Funny how you point to Ben’s elbow as an issue for JuJu but DJ was able to go 107 - 1100 - 8 and make a pro bowl with Ben who was a year older/declined.

Lets face it, I love JuJu and the toughness he brought but he failed miserably as a #1 WR after AB left. Juju is a very limited player who struggles to get open anywhere other than the slot.

The traits you point out for JuJu are his hands and toughness. Hands sure, I’ll give you that. But is toughness really the trait you’re looking for when paying a receiver? DJ is a top 10 route runner and man coverage beater in the league. Give me a guy who can put DBs in a blender and is a threat to take any catch to the house over a guy who struggles mightily to beat man coverage and has shown almost no ability to play outside without two all-pros (AB and Bell) attracting all the attention from defenses.

Theres a reason JuJu just signed for 1 year near league minimum after drawing very little interests from teams in the open market while DJ is about to get a multi-year 20+ mill/year deal from someone. But I’m sure you know better than all 32 NFL franchises right? Yet you call ME delusional for simply saying DJ is better than JuJu 

Edited by bigben07MVP