2022 Off-Season Thread: The Dead szn...

Dcash4

3 hours ago, August4th said:

some draft day rumors

I still remember us being rumored to move up for Patrick Willis or Darrelle Revis back in 2007.

We absolutely should have done those since those two were blue chip prospects and we didn't have many holes.

If we trade a future first to move up for a guy who shouldn't even have one first spent on him...what very little faith I have left in this regime will be completely gone.

I wholeheartedly believe that if we do trade up for a QB, that it will be 100% a Tomlin pick.   I do not believe for a moment Colbert would green light that move if he didn't already have one foot out the door.

3 hours ago, 43M said:

I still remember us being rumored to move up for Patrick Willis or Darrelle Revis back in 2007.

We absolutely should have done those since those two were blue chip prospects and we didn't have many holes.

If we trade a future first to move up for a guy who shouldn't even have one first spent on him...what very little faith I have left in this regime will be completely gone.

I wholeheartedly believe that if we do trade up for a QB, that it will be 100% a Tomlin pick.   I do not believe for a moment Colbert would green light that move if he didn't already have one foot out the door.

I honestly think just the opposite. If we move up to take Willis it’s because Colbert Wants to take the QBoTF and wants to be remembered for it. If we stay put and take a QB Tomlin talked him down some. And if we stay put and take a non-QB it’s 100% a Tomlin pick. 

Additionally, this to me is why having a successor named and under contract is so dang important. We need a GM in waiting named so, that way they can have a say in this. Like what if the hire is an outside hire and they don’t like these QBs but weren’t in the room to have a say. Hell what if the hire is Hunt and he doesn’t love any of these guys, but because Hunt doesn’t know he’s the guy he doesn’t push against moving up enough. 

I don’t think there’s any middle ground on this pick. Either it’s going to work out and be a great pick or it’s going to completely bust and get mocked for years for being very Browns like. 

29 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Regardless. A guy that small screams Slot Receiver. Ideally on the outside you're going to have a guy that can win jump balls imo

Skyy Moore does that. Like Dodson and Austin they play much bigger than they are because they are hands catchers who can high point a ball well. 

51 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I honestly think just the opposite. If we move up to take Willis it’s because Colbert Wants to take the QBoTF and wants to be remembered for it. If we stay put and take a QB Tomlin talked him down some. And if we stay put and take a non-QB it’s 100% a Tomlin pick. 

I dont really agree with any of this, but its all speculation on our end.

Additionally, this to me is why having a successor named and under contract is so dang important. We need a GM in waiting named so, that way they can have a say in this. Like what if the hire is an outside hire and they don’t like these QBs but weren’t in the room to have a say. Hell what if the hire is Hunt and he doesn’t love any of these guys, but because Hunt doesn’t know he’s the guy he doesn’t push against moving up enough. 

Now THIS, I 100% agree with and have been saying it for awhile myself.

I don’t think there’s any middle ground on this pick. Either it’s going to work out and be a great pick or it’s going to completely bust and get mocked for years for being very Browns like. 

I largely agree with this as well...assuming we go QB, that is.

• Like 1

I do not see the Steelers trading up. IMO, it would be a big surprise. They have broken many of the "rules" these past few years but they value their picks. I don't see that part changing. 

Reason we traded a 2nd and 3rd for Bush? We got the second pick in the 3rd round on the Brown trade and received a 3rd round pick the following year for Bell. Those "additional" picks essentially nullified the trade cost. 

Reason they traded up for Mason? They received an additional 3rd for the Bryant trade and the 7th they got for the Ross Cockrell trade. 

Reason for Loudermilk trade? Got a 4th for Dupree. 

Reason for Shamarko Thomas trade in 2013, was they traded a 2014 4th and received 3 comp picks that year. 

There has been 2 occasions that the Steelers have had less than 7 draft picks selected in a year since the draft was changed to 7 rounds in 1994 -- The trade up for Troy and the year we traded a first for Minkah. 

We are not going to get any comp picks next year. Any one really confident they see anyone in this QB class as they saw Troy or Minkah?

• Like 3

Double post, but meant to add this too:

Next years FA list: Johnson, Tuitt, Bush, Sutton, Spillane, Wormley, Derek Watt

Some might not net big comp value (and some likely to cancel by our own signings), but those names will all find NFL rosters if they are FA. Johnson would be a 3rd round comp projection if he just has a slightly improved year. If Tuitt is back and they let him hit FA, that would be a decent sized return too. 

Moral of the story -- more comp projections next year vs no comp projections this year. Steelers don't have the ammo in 2022 that they like to when they make a trade. 

59 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I do not see the Steelers trading up. IMO, it would be a big surprise. They have broken many of the "rules" these past few years but they value their picks. I don't see that part changing. 

Reason we traded a 2nd and 3rd for Bush? We got the second pick in the 3rd round on the Brown trade and received a 3rd round pick the following year for Bell. Those "additional" picks essentially nullified the trade cost. 

Reason they traded up for Mason? They received an additional 3rd for the Bryant trade and the 7th they got for the Ross Cockrell trade. 

Reason for Shamarko Thomas trade in 2013, was they traded a 2014 4th and received 3 comp picks that year. 

There has been 2 occasions that the Steelers have had less than 7 draft picks selected in a year since the draft was changed to 7 rounds in 1994 -- The trade up for Troy and the year we traded a first for Minkah. 

We are not going to get any comp picks next year. Any one really confident they see anyone in this QB class as they saw Troy or Minkah?

That's a really well thought out post!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Under normal circumstances I would agree, I’m just afraid our GM fancies himself going out like Ozzie did in Baltimore