Justice League

Acgott

Just now, MathMan said:

Just cant get excited about superhero movies anymore.

Now every movie is trying to be the Avengers, and its getting stale

Honestly, I think the future of successful superhero movies is going to look a lot more like Unbreakable than Justice League.  Marvel has a captivated audience (myself included), so their movies will still be definite watches once they come out on video, so they'll likely never lose money.  But the only thing that could get me excited to go to a superhero movie again is if somebody started a dark, gritty, ultra violent, R-rated cinematic universe.  Not Deadpool, but if Unbreakable was rated R with more violence. 

I love the idea of cinematic universes, I was wildly excited about the Universal Monster Universe before The Mummy sucked, and I think there's a future for superhero movies, but not as they are now.  I think DC would be perfect for this considering the very dark graphic novels they've released, but that's not happening with the morons running things now.

The only "superhero" movies I'm remotely excited about right now are Glass (sequel to Unbreakable), and Spawn, which is 100% going to be a dark, hard R-rated movie. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The Rock has been an actor for 15 years now and he still can't do anything past comedy and mindless action and people think John Cena would be a good choice?  O.o

Mindless action comedy? Sounds perfect for Shazam to me. Billy Batson is the character that really needs the range and gravitas of this story. Which is why the child actor casting was much more important to me than the Shazam casting. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The Rock has been an actor for 15 years now and he still can't do anything past comedy and mindless action and people think John Cena would be a good choice?  O.o

He's had a couple of decent performances.  While they are mainly action movies, he's shown a little range in Snitch, Faster, and Pain & Gain (best part of that crappy movie).

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Mindless action comedy? Sounds perfect for Shazam to me. Billy Batson is the character that really needs the range and gravitas of this story. Which is why the child actor casting was much more important to me than the Shazam casting. 

I feel like Mike from stranger things is going to be casted.

Reviews to Justice League are out and so far the best comments are, "It was fine," "It was okay," or they say positive things with a "but..."  Every single positive statement is followed by a disclaimer that it's got problems.  They say it's safe, it's blah blah blah. 

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/902373-justice-league-reactions#/slide/1

4 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Reviews to Justice League are out and so far the best comments are, "It was fine," "It was okay," or they say positive things with a "but..."  Every single positive statement is followed by a disclaimer that it's got problems.  They say it's safe, it's blah blah blah. 

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/902373-justice-league-reactions#/slide/1

So its fun, with a bunch of jokes, some shoddy CG, is completely safe and takes Zero chances?

Are we sure that they are reviewing Justice League and not giving their honest thoughts on Ragnarok? Because that formula is apparently the key to making the "Best Reviewed Marvel Movie Ever!!!"

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

So its fun, with a bunch of jokes, some shoddy CG, is completely safe and takes Zero chances?

Are we sure that they are reviewing Justice League and not giving their honest thoughts on Ragnarok? Because that formula is apparently the key to making the "Best Reviewed Marvel Movie Ever!!!"

Are we sure you're not a wildly biased DC fan who can't acknowledge the fact that there's no massive conspiracy against DC movies and that they just...currently...suck?  Nobody reviewed Nolan's Batman movies poorly because they weren't bad movies. 

And you want to know a good reason why Thor is so well-received?  Because Marvel took characters that are stupid and made us love them through proper universe building and great dialogue with admittedly formulaic plots.  DC took characters that are amazing and made us hate them through convoluted plots, terrible dialogue and horrible universe building in which they jammed everything together with zero subtlety. 

You're complaining about taking no risks?  The Joker being a pimp was a risk, a dumb risk, and DC is messing up so badly because they can't just go simple. 

Don't complain about Marvel's success.  They did it the right way.  I've never been a fan of Marvel characters or comics in general, but ever since I was a kid I've loved Batman, and the people at WB have ruined it by putting it in Snyder's hands. 

I wanted this DC universe to be good just as badly as you did, but it's not. 

I'm just hoping that the allegations of Affleck get worse so WB will be forced to do a soft reboot with FlashPoint.  Keep Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, change continuity, re-cast Batman and change The Joker and I'll be right back on board. 

29 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Are we sure you're not a wildly biased DC fan who can't acknowledge the fact that there's no massive conspiracy against DC movies and that they just...currently...suck?  Nobody reviewed Nolan's Batman movies poorly because they weren't bad movies. 

Actually, yes we are sure, because I have praised mostly all Marvel films. But just because I dont think Ragnarok is the jizzfest that many want to pretend it is, and I am confident in pointing out that they sucked any real meaning out of an entire movie so they could jam in more jokes that werent needed, doesnt make me biased for or against anyone.

Ive also never once said there is a conspiracy against DC, never even hinted at it. But the fact that I enjoy their movies for what they are, instead of constantly complaining that they should burn the whole thing down, some how equates in your mind that Im mad about the reviews DC has gotten? (Ill let you in on the secret again, the MAJORITY of people who watch DC films enjoy them, sorry to disappoint you)

36 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

And you want to know a good reason why Thor is so well-received?  Because Marvel took characters that are stupid and made us love them through proper universe building and great dialogue with admittedly formulaic plots.  DC took characters that are amazing and made us hate them through convoluted plots, terrible dialogue and horrible universe building in which they jammed everything together with zero subtlety. 

Oh so 12 year old level jokes, just north of poop/fart jokes is now "great dialog"? Im gonna leave this alone because im sure according to you Taika is a genius and was the best part of the movie.

But I am just pointing out the exact things the list of critics you linked to you said; 

• There are ton of things I’d change but it comes down to this: I had a blast!
  • super thin and has some very weak CG but it’s got heart and a positive vibe that works

• This is a fun superhero flick. Funny but still hero adventure

• is a fun, bumpy ride that succeeds in character, but fails in narrative. It’s a mixed bag of execution that’s saved by the actors, who rise above the shortcomings to deliver an engaging, funny and hopeful, yet flawed, entry

• see all your favorite DC heroes rocking their skills & being the badasses you love, then you will get plenty of that. Lots of action. Lots of superheroes being superheroes.

• It's okay. Narratively it's a mess, the stakes don't work & the villain isn't great. HOWEVER, the heroes ARE great, it's funny, & there's some surprisingly effective character work. I didn't love it,

• solid entertainment despite some problems. They pulled off a strange alchemy that works better than it should. The story is lacking, but the League is great and it’s a blast to watch them in action together.

ALL of those things could and do apply to Ragnarok. Now I obviously havent seen JL yet, but I have seen Ragnarok twice, and if that film is good enough for a 98% on Rotten Tometoes, then it sounds like this FUN, and ACTION PACKED, relatively SAFE and LOW STAKES DC film should be getting the same treatment...

But just like most people let their positive feelings from all of the MCU leak into their review of Ragnarok, you are clearly letting your pre concived notions of the DC Universe already color your opinion of this film, before youve even seen it.

54 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You're complaining about taking no risks?  The Joker being a pimp was a risk, a dumb risk, and DC is messing up so badly because they can't just go simple. 

Actually Im not complaining, read it again. I have said for a long time now that DC shouldnt take risks here. That it should be a paint by numbers Superhero film to reset themselves. But 17 films in, and Marvel takes not one single chance in their set up for the biggest Film they have ever made... and not a single major critic calls them out for it, because it was "fun". Its just calling out Hypocrisy thats all. 

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

Try again, viewer scores are above 50% on all the films in the DC Universe (actually all above 60%, which would be Fresh on the meter). That constitutes a MAJORITY.

Mathematics FTW 

Define enjoy I guess.  Because people enjoy Transformers movies.  Are you saying the majority of people think they're good movies?  Because we both know that's not true.  Unless you think 500,000 people saying 6.6 and 6.2 (BvS and SS) suggests the majority of people think they're good movies...

Yes or no, was Suicide Squad a good movie?

Yes or no, was Batman vs Superman a good movie?

Yes or no, do you think Justice League will be a good movie?

Yes or no, does DC currently know what they're doing with their universe? 

Arguing anything other than those yes or no questions is a waste of time.  If you think the answer is yes to any of them, you're delusional. 

I'll answer a question for you:

Can DC get back on track if they do a soft reboot and keep only the continuity of Wonder Woman and The Flash?  Yes. 

Archived