Poles press conference pre-draft opinions

dll2000

So I watched presser late last night and I didn't get a chance to write it up because of work and I am already forgetting some of my main take aways.   But let me give you my impressions and read on him, it could change as he changes.  

I listened to not only his words, but watched his body language.  I am fairly good at reading people if I can see them live.  

Basically he is going to build primarily through draft.  Period.   End of story.  That is what he believes in.   It is clear.   Other people have said he said it to them, he has now said it, not really a big Sherlock mystery.   

In that vain he is not going to make block buster trades for players where he gives up big picks.  Forget Deebo and forget DK Metcalf.   Not happening.  Useless speculation.   He is not even making the calls.   

He won't say rebuild, but whatever.   He is rebuilding.  He went on to talk about HGTV which is rebuilds or remodeling.

I think he would like to trade more older guys for picks if he could.  That includes Quinn.

He likes OL in draft.  I expect he is going to try to trade down with one of 2nds if he can get a deal he likes and will draft 2 OL at some points.

He likes RB in draft too says it is crazy deep.  Probably pick up a RB based on value in later rounds.   Also probably won't be seeing Montgomery get a big second deal if he does.  Or that is his plan on paper as of now.   He may change his mind after a season with Monty.

I don't remember what I thought he thought about the WRs.   Or if I even had a thought there.  Sorry.   Maybe it was nothing.

The pressor was really short.  I remember first question was incredibly stupid and wasted some precious time, it was something like, "How important is this draft? or Is this draft important?"

I swear most of us could do a better job as beat reporters and bloggers.  We really could.  

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

So I watched presser late last night and I didn't get a chance to write it up because of work and I am already forgetting some of my main take aways.   But let me give you my impressions and read on him, it could change as he changes.  

I listened to not only his words, but watched his body language.  I am fairly good at reading people if I can see them live.  

Basically he is going to build primarily through draft.  Period.   End of story.  That is what he believes in.   It is clear.   Other people have said he said it to them, he has now said it, not really a big Sherlock mystery.   

In that vain he is not going to make block buster trades for players where he gives up big picks.  Forget Deebo and forget DK Metcalf.   Not happening.  Useless speculation.   He is not even making the calls.   

He won't say rebuild, but whatever.   He is rebuilding.  He went on to talk about HGTV which is rebuilds or remodeling.

I think he would like to trade more older guys for picks if he could.  That includes Quinn.

He likes OL in draft.  I expect he is going to try to trade down with one of 2nds if he can get a deal he likes and will draft 2 OL at some points.

He likes RB in draft too says it is crazy deep.  Probably pick up a RB based on value in later rounds.   Also probably won't be seeing Montgomery get a big second deal if he does.  Or that is his plan on paper as of now.   He may change his mind after a season with Monty.

I don't remember what I thought he thought about the WRs.   Or if I even had a thought there.  Sorry.   Maybe it was nothing.

The pressor was really short.  I remember first question was incredibly stupid and wasted some precious time, it was something like, "How important is this draft? or Is this draft important?"

I swear most of us could do a better job as beat reporters and bloggers.  We really could.  

Thanks bro. I did not get a chance to see the presser (I am in healthcare management full time and am in school full time). Doesn't sound like there was anything groundbreaking for anyone that has actually been paying attention. Like everyone here, I just hope his strategy works. I am tired of hitting the reset button every 3 to 5 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I’ve been screaming this for weeks. This team is as close as you can get to a total rebuild. Call it a “Remodel” or whatever you want, but there are like 3 guys on the roster you know you are building around (Fields, Smith, Mooney). And a 4th you are hoping to (Jenkins) but other than that I can see that Poles wanted to rip this thing down to the studs and re-envision the rest of the roster.

Grab a few support guys on short term deals, and start compiling as much draft capital as you can. 

With as many times as Poles has said to all who would listen that his goal is to add younger players via The Draft and UDFA every day I still see wild *** proposals for trades mostly from media "click baiters" like Ryan Heckman but a few forum members as well.  Trades are being proposed mostly for WR all for whom we would overpay both in draft capital and in cash.  Ain't happenin' children.

Poles is "remodeling" from the ground up because it's what needs to be done.  Ryan Pace's failure to address the OL well enough and often enough now require more attention be paid to that unit.  The re-tooling of the defense converting to a 4-3 front will also require a different type of DL and LB as well.  I can't fault Poles for starting there.  Build the foundation first.  Hang draperies later.

14 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’ve been screaming this for weeks. This team is as close as you can get to a total rebuild. Call it a “Remodel” or whatever you want, but there are like 3 guys on the roster you know you are building around (Fields, Smith, Mooney). And a 4th you are hoping to (Jenkins) but other than that I can see that Poles wanted to rip this thing down to the studs and re-envision the rest of the roster.

Grab a few support guys on short term deals, and start compiling as much draft capital as you can. 

I agree that is way he sees it. 

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea. It’s not fun to admit, especially when you are short a 1st round pick to kick this off, but it is reality

I think he is making a mistake thinking FA can’t be a more useful toolbox.  I agree block buster trades are usually a mistake and so are huge FA signings in most cases.  

Just don’t be stupid with FA like teams that run out and give a market changing contract to an okay player.   

But there are always very useful players to be had for reasonable deals if you look.  

For example Hicks was a great FA signing.  Robinson was a great FA signing.   Prince A. was a great FA signing.   Those are kind of deals you are looking for.   They are out there.  

I would have targeted BJ Hill, Chark, Cooper, this offseason to name a few.  Probably Allen too.   Maybe resigned Nichols as well.  I wouldn’t have got all of them, but some of them.  

None of those are bank or draft busters and they are all young or in prime.  Cooper is most expensive of group, but not so much in new market and new cap and for duration we will want him.  

Identify a handful of good players on the come entering prime and sign those guys to 3 year deals with outs at 2. 

Patch holes and depth with the one year guys.  Go for home runs in draft at rare positions.  

37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But there are always very useful players to be had for reasonable deals if you look.  

For example Hicks was a great FA signing.  Robinson was a great FA signing.   Prince A. was a great FA signing.   Those are kind of deals you are looking for.   They are out there.  

I would have targeted BJ Hill, Chark, Cooper, this offseason to name a few.  Probably Allen too.   Maybe resigned Nichols as well.  I wouldn’t have got all of them, but some of them.  

I would argue that he did exactly that with this free agency, it just wasn't with the guys we highlighted before FA opened up. 

Pringle was that type of player, although I thought it would be MVS. Patrick was for sure that kind of player. And Muhammad was a guy who we all thought would be brought in an was.

Then he took the low risk, potentially high return guys in Marrow, Cruikshanks, Young and Evans (waiver) all could be big pieces to this team that he identified and nearly everyone praised those moves.

The Ogun situation was weird, and he could still be on the roster this year, and grabbing a solid replacement in Jones was a smart move.

Hill stayed with his team, so its hard to say anyone would have gotten him without overpaying. And I know many of you are still stuck on Cooper, but he went for a 5th that means most of the league didnt want him AND im sure he had a say where he was sent off to from the pool of like returns for the Cowboys. 

Ill give you Chark, but he still got overpaid for one year. That also shows no one in the league really wanted to commit to him for multiple years, for any legitimate money. Maybe we should start taking the hints that the rest of the league is giving us?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I would argue that he did exactly that with this free agency, it just wasn't with the guys we highlighted before FA opened up. 

Pringle was that type of player, although I thought it would be MVS. Patrick was for sure that kind of player. And Muhammad was a guy who we all thought would be brought in an was.

Then he took the low risk, potentially high return guys in Marrow, Cruikshanks, Young and Evans (waiver) all could be big pieces to this team that he identified and nearly everyone praised those moves.

The Ogun situation was weird, and he could still be on the roster this year, and grabbing a solid replacement in Jones was a smart move.

Hill stayed with his team, so its hard to say anyone would have gotten him without overpaying. And I know many of you are still stuck on Cooper, but he went for a 5th that means most of the league didnt want him AND im sure he had a say where he was sent off to from the pool of like returns for the Cowboys. 

Ill give you Chark, but he still got overpaid for one year. That also shows no one in the league really wanted to commit to him for multiple years, for any legitimate money. Maybe we should start taking the hints that the rest of the league is giving us?

Was just gonna write basically exactly this. So thanks!

30 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Maybe.  I am trying to be positive.

Poles knows Pringle, but his former boss Reid kicked him out door and went with JuJu and MVS instead and paid much more for them.

Ogun I think was an over pay from jump.  

Muhammad is average at best.  All I heard last year is Indy has no legit pass rush on edge and that means Muhammad.

I will give you or Poles Lucas Patrick, he is pretty good for price.  But even Patrick was still an after thought in GB and not their first choice starter.   Allen is thought of as one of best centers in league and signed for cap hits of 1.8 and 6.8.   Patrick's cap hits are 2.6 and 5.3.  Pretty much a wash.     

Hill, IMO, is a Hicks type up and comer just coming into his own.   He could have been wooed.  I am not stuck on Cooper, but if Cooper were in this draft class he would likely be number 1 WR in it.   He cost just a 5th round pick and eliminates a major draft need for next 2 seasons at least with many holes to fill.  

Chark would also be a first round pick in this draft and has already been a 1000 yard WR and a pro bowler in this league.

Chark, Cooper and Mooney would be most talented Bears WR core in team history for next 2 years and is cheaper than what KC is paying its weapons along with one of most highly paid QBs in league.   We have a rookie contract QB, WR2 and RB.

He doesn't have to do what I want, but on paper I don't think he has done the best job to date.  Just my opinion.   I hope he nails the draft.