Laremy Tunsil-?

bzane

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article181816921.html

Hi! Could I ask some of the veteran Dolphins fans, what's up with Laremy Tunsil? I recall that last year, after he fell to Miami in the draft (owing in large measure to that famous pre-draft photo), it seemed like he was a steal, and that other teams had been wrong to pass on him. He played guard last year, I think? Now, this year, at his familiar left-tackle position, it seems as though he's fallen off a bit? Or, at least, not progressed as the team might have hoped? There are a few articles like the above suggesting he's been a bit of a disappointment. But I'd like to hear what good Dolphins' fans, who get to watch Tunsil most games, think of him.

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

He played Guard for us last year which I wasn't a fan of because I thought he should get expierience at LT right away. Turns out I was right - he's been merely average this year. Still somewhat optimistic about him improving though.

Same here. Basically Tunsil is having to play another rookie year due to the switch, but worse because there was also a setback. Guard is a very different position, so whatever he learned last year technique-wise, he has to scrap and try to revert back to the footwork, and handwork of a tackle from his senior year in college.

It is way to early to give Tunsil a final grad. One thing I will mention in his defense, Gase rarely gives him help. In fact, he is normally blocking man to man on the left side. Most of the TE help goes to the right side. I think that he will wind up being an above average LT.

5 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

It is way to early to give Tunsil a final grad. One thing I will mention in his defense, Gase rarely gives him help. In fact, he is normally blocking man to man on the left side. Most of the TE help goes to the right side. I think that he will wind up being an above average LT.

Yeah, it's just growing pains.  I still think he's gonna be a really, really good LT.

6 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

If there is TE help on one side (G, T, TE) then typically the protection slide (C, G, T) will be to the other. In other words, on the left side Tunsil receives the Zone help, while the Man side is anchored by an additional TE to the right, so this argument isn't sound in that regard. You're not going to have only two blockers to the left, and relocate 4 to right, unless facing an overload blitz into the strength of the offense.

Archived