2022 Rookie Talk

DreamKid

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Watched this some months back, but it’s a great video breakdown of what makes Hamilton great. Will be interesting to see just how quickly he takes off in our defense.

Some consistency issues as a pure single high with pursuit angles and trusting his instincts too much(as the video points out, a typical problem for young safeties), and I don't want him being forced to cover shifty or speed slot options too much- but past that he's a fairly immaculate prospect. Use him just like the Chargers use Derwin James and he can have a big defensive impact year 1. We're lucky to already have Marcus Williams in house too. He'll allow us to squeeze so much more production out of Kyle. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ojabo holding out. Not uncommon for there to be contract issues with injured Rookies, we've seen it before around the league. It's not ideal, but also doesn't matter all that much because he's not healthy and can't participate anyway. Should be resolved soon enough.

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2022 at 2:58 AM, diamondbull424 said:

The competition definitely wasn’t the best, there’s a clear speed difference in watching these prospects vs some of the other tape.

That said, Likely has some pretty amazing hands. He makes one handed catches look routine. I don’t find him to be particularly shifty and athletic, so his testing numbers make sense. That said he executes his routes and also the playcalls with the high level precision of a Hollywood actor, so his execution allows him to consistently trick defenders out of position.

I see a willing blocker that has made some nice explosive blocks, but I also see him playing against low caliber talent as well, so it’s difficult to project how his blocking will hold up against legit NFL caliber athletes.

All in all, I think he’s going to be someone that is very intelligent, will quickly adapt to the NFL game, and develop the nuances of his game to allow him to continue to carve out a role. Though ultimately I think he’s got a particularly capped ceiling as a player due to his athletic limitations and measurables. I highly doubt he’d ever develop into an All Pro and I’d very much question if he’s even got pro bowl potential unless he’s able to reshape his athletic profile (I suppose there’s a chance he could considering the program he came out of).

As it stands though, he’s more of your classic H-back guy. More savvy than explosive, not likely to threaten the seam with speed. Should occupy a similar role as we used with Hurst minus the speed, but with more savvy. Maybe he’d compare as a thinner Zach Miller. I’m not displeased, but the more I scout, the more it looks like this was a weak TE class.

Likely could make an impact but I certainly don’t see him as a potent force. Though with the state of the Ravens 2022 receiving core, Likely could make an early career impact.

I might’ve underrated Likely coming out a little bit. I didn’t know he was quite this level of strong as a prospect. His ability to get open absolutely shines through though. He’s very intelligent and like Andrews makes himself open for Lamar. I hope when Andrews returns to the phase we can keep Likely active. Andrews is a nice blocker, perhaps incorporate Andrews into Oliver/Boyle role as Likely takes up Andrews role.

But point is that Likely is very powerful in his legs. He’s got pro bowl potential in the future for sure. 

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I might’ve underrated Likely coming out a little bit. I didn’t know he was quite this level of strong as a prospect. His ability to get open absolutely shines through though. He’s very intelligent and like Andrews makes himself open for Lamar. I hope when Andrews returns to the phase we can keep Likely active. Andrews is a nice blocker, perhaps incorporate Andrews into Oliver/Boyle role as Likely takes up Andrews role.

But point is that Likely is very powerful in his legs. He’s got pro bowl potential in the future for sure. 

I was low on him as well post draft, the athletic profile and small school comp were red flags for me. There's always a chance when they drop those banger breakout ages and production profiles though, can signal a phenom like natural feel for the game.

He's also got that special wiggle and contact balance that can't be captured in the current athletic testing the prospects do, much like Alvin Kamara.

With the YAC, smooth movement, and ability to pluck the ball he reminds me a lot of Aaron Hernandez. There's some Antonio Gates in his game too. 

Really happy we found him. Hope he continues to work and grow with Mark Andrews to give Lamar a dynamic duo in the middle of the field. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I was low on him as well post draft, the athletic profile and small school comp were red flags for me. There's always a chance when they drop those banger breakout ages and production profiles though, can signal a phenom like natural feel for the game.

He's also got that special wiggle and contact balance that can't be captured in the current athletic testing the prospects do, much like Alvin Kamara.

With the YAC, smooth movement, and ability to pluck the ball he reminds me a lot of Aaron Hernandez. There's some Antonio Gates in his game too. 

Really happy we found him. Hope he continues to work and grow with Mark Andrews to give Lamar a dynamic duo in the middle of the field. 

Yup. We’re going to absolutely need it if we’re going to have any hope for this season and doing something serious (in the playoffs). Right now Duvernay and Andrews are the most reliable options.

We need Bateman to step up and then for either Likely and/or DJax to round out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fi2qunqUYAA29nc.jpg

Sure would be nice if he were in a Ravens uniform about now.

This was my favorite WR in the draft based on his size, measurables, blocking strengths, and potential.

He’s the first 6’4” WR since Moss with such insane movement skills. His hands being a B and the offensive scheme (similar to ours) that he came out of were his only flaws.

Slow start to the year, but it’s not like Ojabo and Jones have shown anything. I’m not against those dudes at all, but this is where I would’ve spent those picks.

Our Redzone offense could’ve used an impact specimen.