2022 Rookie Talk

DreamKid

Posted some other videos in the Kolar thread, but just been watching him to get a feel for what kind of player he is currently and who he could become.

He’s got the size of Crockett Gilmore but plays more like Dennis Pitta. He’s a “get in your way” type blocker vs someone that looks like they’re trying to truly get after their opponent but might just be a little outclassed.

I don’t think he’s ever going to be a legit blocking TE type or present that skill set and I feel of the two TEs we drafted he’s the bigger project player.

He needs to develop as a blocker, but more importantly for what we would love to use him for, he most needs to develop his route running. Rounds too many of his routes. His route releases could use A LOT of work to give himself greater initial separation. I feel that while he occasionally uses his hands at the top of routes to create separation, he needs to do it a lot more to best utilize his size.

You see the size, measurables, and athleticism and it makes sense that we would draft him as a project to develop.

Yet IMO it also makes sense that we would follow that up by drafting the TE that appears to the more pro ready option in Isaiah Likely. Who I will continue to do a deep dive on, but just based on what I’ve seen, he looks more polished as a route runner and knows what he brings to the table and offers a higher floor and thus a better chance at a more immediate impact.

If I had to guess, Kolar looks like a potential “injury” redshirt option to stash if all the TEs make it out of camp healthy. Let him work with Keith Williams and shadow Andrews for a season and he’s got some very intriguing potential as a developmental option. 

• Like 3

The competition definitely wasn’t the best, there’s a clear speed difference in watching these prospects vs some of the other tape.

That said, Likely has some pretty amazing hands. He makes one handed catches look routine. I don’t find him to be particularly shifty and athletic, so his testing numbers make sense. That said he executes his routes and also the playcalls with the high level precision of a Hollywood actor, so his execution allows him to consistently trick defenders out of position.

I see a willing blocker that has made some nice explosive blocks, but I also see him playing against low caliber talent as well, so it’s difficult to project how his blocking will hold up against legit NFL caliber athletes.

All in all, I think he’s going to be someone that is very intelligent, will quickly adapt to the NFL game, and develop the nuances of his game to allow him to continue to carve out a role. Though ultimately I think he’s got a particularly capped ceiling as a player due to his athletic limitations and measurables. I highly doubt he’d ever develop into an All Pro and I’d very much question if he’s even got pro bowl potential unless he’s able to reshape his athletic profile (I suppose there’s a chance he could considering the program he came out of).

As it stands though, he’s more of your classic H-back guy. More savvy than explosive, not likely to threaten the seam with speed. Should occupy a similar role as we used with Hurst minus the speed, but with more savvy. Maybe he’d compare as a thinner Zach Miller. I’m not displeased, but the more I scout, the more it looks like this was a weak TE class.

Likely could make an impact but I certainly don’t see him as a potent force. Though with the state of the Ravens 2022 receiving core, Likely could make an early career impact.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Does this mean we're going into the season with 4 TE's on the season opening roster?

• Mandrews
  • Boyle
  • Koar
  • Likely

@diamondbull424

I personally think that we would redshirt Kolar, and trim it to three, but that’s only if we add some WR talent via FA. Though if we roll with the young WR core virtually as is, then keeping 4 TEs could make sense.

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I personally think that we would redshirt Kolar, and trim it to three, but that’s only if we add some WR talent via FA. Though if we roll with the young WR core virtually as is, then keeping 4 TEs could make sense.

Agreed. I could see us rolling into the season with five WR on the 53-man (rather than six), then carrying four TE.

Really fun highlights for Damarion 'Pepe' Williams. Your classic Scrappy-Do slot option.

Overaged(24 in July), undersized, poor length(29 5/8"arms), and pretty bad long speed. He won't be able to play outside CB at all for us, and any sort of man responsibilities on downfield routes would have me scared too. Much better suited for zone concepts and attacking underneath work. Trigger, twitch, and physicality are are all plus attributes for him. Plays through the receiver and attacks the ball. Little missile against the run, frame limits how consistently he can actually finish tackles but he's going to get his either way. A+ character. 

Projects as a backup slot who will contribute heavily on kick coverage units. DeCosta said at his presser that they wanted to get 2 CBs in Round 4 if they hadn't taken one on Day 1 or 2. So it looks like they just took the highest CB they had left on their board. The next CB taken was traits fiend Tariq Woolen 12 picks later, it will be interesting to see how their careers shake out comparatively. This selection was considered our biggest and really only reach.

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Really fun highlights for Damarion 'Pepe' Williams. Your classic Scrappy-Do slot option.

Overaged(24 in July), undersized, poor length(29 5/8"arms), and pretty bad long speed. He won't be able to play outside CB at all for us, and any sort of man responsibilities on downfield routes would have me scared too. Much better suited for zone concepts and attacking underneath work. Trigger, twitch, and physicality are are all plus attributes for him. Plays through the receiver and attacks the ball. Little missile against the run, frame limits how consistently he can actually finish tackles but he's going to get his either way. A+ character. 

Projects as a backup slot who will contribute heavily on kick coverage units. DeCosta said at his presser that they wanted to get 2 CBs in Round 4 if they hadn't taken one on Day 1 or 2. So it looks like they just took the highest CB they had left on their board. The next CB taken was traits fiend Tariq Woolen 12 picks later, it will be interesting to see how their careers shake out comparatively. This selection was considered our biggest and really only reach.

Obviously it's a highlight video, but he's definitely got some bulldog in him. Definitely reminds me a bit of Tavon Young.

Lots of 'steals' in this draft for the Ravens according to consensus big boards, but the one that really stands out to me is Travis Jones. 

- One of the most dominant players the Senior Bowl has ever had. Even with poor technique he put up highlight reps against 1st Round IOL like Zion Johnson and Cole Strange. Video below, he looks like a Varsity player going up against the frosh squad. Unstoppable 1v1.

- With no talent around him at an abysmal CFB program he still was a force against the run and had actual pass rush production despite being labeled a NT. Played his best football against the top schools he faced too. Played around 70% of the snaps for his defense at 320+ lbs- so plus stamina for a player his size. Showed highly effective Bull, Club, and Swim on tape. Great motor. 1V1 He wins early often, and if he doesn't he typically wins late. He has to be doubled or he lives in the backfield. 

- 6'4 325 34 1/4" arms , 9.37 RAS

He's now with a professional club. Where he'll get amazing training, coaching, and walk into a position room that has Calais Campbell, Michael Pierce, Justin Madubuike, and Derek Wolfe. It's hard to overstate how beneficial this will be for a guy like him. I'm expecting glowing reports from TC, a dominant preseason, and Travis Jones forcing himself into one the most effective DI rotations we've ever fielded in his Rookie season. Wait and see what this kid can do with other impact defenders around him, it's gonna be awesome to watch. I'm so excited for this pick. 

vs Clemson, Connecticut lost this game 44-7. Watch how dominant he is and how hard he's still playing as the game goes on- despite there being no hope for victory. 

He's the one to watch folks 👀

• Like 3

Obviously there's no malicious intent behind asking them to do this, but it's just kind of dumb imo and a little demeaning. This is their first day in the building and our media team is having them to do a Kindergarten project. IDK, it seems like something an older veteran player like Siragusa or Suggs would have Rookies do as part of their hazing. The only interesting thing about it is Faalele stating he wants to be in the Hall of Fame, you love to see young players be comfortable/confident enough to predict future greatness. One of Lamar's defining moments was standing on that draft stage and telling the world the Ravens were going to get a Super Bowl out of him.

Makai Polk is interesting. Doesn't turn 21 until August, 6'3 w/ 32.25" arms, 1.53 10YS & 2.59 20YS, SEC, set Mississippi State's Rec and Rec Yards record with a 103-1046-9 stat line- Mike Leach offense though.

Don't really see any of our UDFA WRs doing anything in 22', but Keith Williams and Tee Martin are good coaches who can have a strong impact on a player as young as Polk should he make our PS as a stash & develop option.