What 3 players on the team now, have a lot to prove to you this year?

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’ve heard/watched Marcus Spears’s opinion/cut up of just bad plays from the DL during a few games. I can and did post plays from that same game from just Chase alone where he had an impact & almost had 2 sacks of Josh Allen. 

The 2nd half of that segment in Mina’s presentation points to a larger problem the first 6 weeks of the season with our defense than our DEs having a few bad rushes a game where they went wide, we’re blocked behind the QB & gave up rush lanes to a very athletic QB. 

Through the Bills game & it continued for a few weeks after we were the worst team in the league with 5 DBs or more on the field. Our back 7 sucked, they couldn’t cover which meant our pass rushers didn’t usually have time to get home despite how often they got pressure. The QB could hit his back foot on a 3 or 5 step drip and have his pick of open receivers. Our back 7 had awful communication, didn’t match well to receivers in their zone and blew multiple coverages the first few months of the season which cost us the Saints game & almost cost us the Falcons & Giants games. In the Giants game if you remember Slaton dropped a 40-50 yard TD pass in his hands after Collins & WJ3’s miscommunication on a deep coverage.

Yes, our LB and secondary were not good last year. I called them out after pretty much every game. But it was also a problem with the DL not getting to the QB on longer drops. And quite a lot had to do with undisciplined play from our DEs. I think it's shortsighted not to understand what happened to improve the pass rush last year. You mentioned that it continued for a few weeks after. It most certainly did, we agree. But what happened after that? What happened during our 4-1 record where we were either getting to the QB or hurrying his pass? Backups. That's what. Backups that were NOT as talented as Chase and Montez, but who played better schematically last year than our starters. And the result was opposing QBs with less time to throw. 

This is why I said that both our DEs need to stop glory hunting and do their jobs. The sacks will come. But if you're so focused on getting the sack that you cause yourself to be out of position and create the space for the QB to complete the pass? Then I don't care if you get 5 sacks, or 8 sacks. Because if you're balancing those sacks with 20 bad plays where you kept the offense on the field because of your lack of discipline, it's actually a net negative to me.

16 hours ago, DCNative said:

Yet his numbers aren't a opinion. Stick to what players are paid to do. Sweat is paid to pressure, disrupt, and sack the QB. He's only once again factually 3.5 sacks away from Joey Bosa. A player I definitely don't see the Niner's just letting walk. Brain Burns a guy drafted in Sweat draft class, only leads Sweat by 4.5 sacks. Again the numbers don't lie. That's what will be talked about in those contract negotiations. 

And yet, here we are again talking about his overall play. If you want to just be a boxscore analyst, then go for it. But I have always looked at how a player is actually playing on the field and not just at the boxscore. Because the boxscore alone will not tell you the type of game/season the player had. If he has 5 sacks in the season and then during the season has 20+ plays where he was so undisciplined that he allowed the QB to keep drives alive/throw TDs/etc... then that "gets applied to his hotel bill" as well. But if you only want to focus on the good plays, be my guest. The team is also going to point out the bad ones in those same contract negotiations.

16 hours ago, DCNative said:

What did the Buccaneers do with their Free Agents after winning the Super Bowl, resigned them all for a repeat. If this front 4 can play more like they did in 2020 oppose to last season you resign All Of Them. That's what Washington built thier defense off. Again thinking they did get back to that level of play, you keep that unit together. While on offense Scary Terry is your priority.

I think I've repeatedly said that I would resign them if they revert back to 2020 form, have I not?

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

And yet, here we are again talking about his overall play. If you want to just be a boxscore analyst, then go for it. But I have always looked at how a player is actually playing on the field and not just at the boxscore. Because the boxscore alone will not tell you the type of game/season the player had. If he has 5 sacks in the season and then during the season has 20+ plays where he was so undisciplined that he allowed the QB to keep drives alive/throw TDs/etc... then that "gets applied to his hotel bill" as well. But if you only want to focus on the good plays, be my guest. The team is also going to point out the bad ones in those same contract negotiations.

As said I bet the Niner's or Panthers won't just let Bosa or Burns walk. 

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think I've repeatedly said that I would resign them if they revert back to 2020 form, have I not?

Idk. Seems you have problem or somebody mention the cost. Did you mention Sweat and 20 million? 

George Carimi from Twitter must be thinking how we’re thinking:

Five Commanders with something to prove this season via @FP_Coverage

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2022/05/22/five-commanders-with-something-to-prove-this-season/

Here was my response to him on the Twitter:

1. Chase Young

2. Montez Sweat

3. Jamin Davis

4. Curtis Samuel

5. Carson Wentz - but only bc he’s new & he has like 1 last chance to prove he can be a franchise QB. If he plays as he did last year in Indy, he’s a huge upgrade over our QBs since 2017.

• Like 1

If Chase & Sweat reach their potential over the next two years they should be retained.

I will forever say that the Skins made a mistake not retaining Orakpo in 2015 & should’ve kept him & Kerrigan together. If they had done that, they could’ve drafted Eddie Goldman to be their NT in 2015 instead of Preston Smith. I mean these decisions just have a ripple effect that trickles down through the team years after they are or aren’t made.

It wasn’t even about Orakpo, it was that not keeping him opened up a hole & we spent several years drafting & signing guys to try to replace Orakpo, we should’ve just kept him.

What I’m trying to say is, I’d hate to open up a hole at either DE spot bc we didn’t re-sign Sweat & Chase. If they become around 10 sack a year guys - which I think is their floor - we have to retain them.

They’re more valuable than DaRon Payne who I think they should franchise tag & trade next year but I feel they’re going to do the Kirk & Scherff song and dance with the tag.

I feel they’ll tag Payne in 2023 & 2024 then, let him walk on 2025 & we’ll only get a 2026 3rd round comp for Payne.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, DCNative said:

Idk. Seems you have problem or somebody mention the cost. Did you mention Sweat and 20 million? 

Yes. Go back and look at my posts. I said that if he has a season like last, that I would still try to re-sign him. But I'm not paying him 20m+ AAV. Now, if he puts together a season like 2020? Yeah, I'll go high.

Either way I'd re-sign him. But only one will I go all out to pay him like a top DE.

47 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

George Carimi from Twitter must be thinking how we’re thinking:

Five Commanders with something to prove this season via @FP_Coverage

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2022/05/22/five-commanders-with-something-to-prove-this-season/

Here was my response to him on the Twitter:

1. Chase Young

2. Montez Sweat

3. Jamin Davis

4. Curtis Samuel

5. Carson Wentz - but only bc he’s new & he has like 1 last chance to prove he can be a franchise QB. If he plays as he did last year in Indy, he’s a huge upgrade over our QBs since 2017.

I think your list is accurate.

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d Chase & Sweat reach their potential over the next two years they should be retained. I will forever say that the Skins made a mistake not retaining Orakpo in 2015 & should’ve kept him & Kerrigan together. If they had done that, they could’ve drafted Eddie Goldman to be their NT in 2015 instead of Preston Smith. I mean these decisions just have a ripple effect that trickles down through the team years after they are or aren’t made.

It wasn’t even about Orakpo, it was that not keeping him opened up a hole & we spent several years drafting & signing guys to try to replace Orakpo, we should’ve just kept him.

What I’m trying to say is, I’d hate to open up a hole at either DE spot bc we didn’t re-sign Sweat & Chase. If they become around 10 sack a year guys - which I think is their floor - we have to retain them. They’re more valuable than DaRon Payne who I think they should franchise tag & trade next year but I feel they’re going to do the Kirk & Scherff song and dance with the tag.

I feel they’ll tag Payne in 2023 & 2024 then, let him walk on 2025 & we’ll only get a 2026 3rd round comp for Payne.

I don't want you our DCNative to think I don't want Chase or Montez on the team. If they can play at 2020 level, I agree let's re-sign them and let's open the wallet to do it. But if I get another 2021 season out of them, then the wallet isn't gonna open as wide. 

And if they get worse than 2021? That's when you think about maybe moving on. But it would have to be way worse.

31 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Most likely true. And most likely it's because they play more disciplined and within the scheme.

No it's because smart/winning organizations more than likely resign their 1st round picks who produce. Especially stat wise. Sacks, pressures, and turn overs are the stats that will get them paid. If Sweat continues to produce those numbers it would be ignorance to let him go. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I’d Chase & Sweat reach their potential over the next two years they should be retained. I will forever say that the Skins made a mistake not retaining Orakpo in 2015 & should’ve kept him & Kerrigan together. If they had done that, they could’ve drafted Eddie Goldman to be their NT in 2015 instead of Preston Smith. I mean these decisions just have a ripple effect that trickles down through the team years after they are or aren’t made.

What I’m trying to say is, I’d hate to open up a hole at either DE spot bc we didn’t re-sign Sweat & Chase. If they become around 10 sack a year guys - which I think is their floor - we have to retain them. They’re more valuable than DaRon Payne who I think they should franchise tag & trade next year but I feel they’re going to do the Kirk & Scherff song and dance with the tag.

Why are you doing the same thing they have done with Cousins, and Shcreff? Either resign him or get value for him this year. If Terry and Payne both aren't resigned this off-season that says imo Payne isn't in their long term plans. That being said trade him for player, not a pick. A player they have interest in keeping around for a while. 

38 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I don't want you our DCNative to think I don't want Chase or Montez on the team. If they can play at 2020 level, I agree let's re-sign them and let's open the wallet to do it. But if I get another 2021 season out of them, then the wallet isn't gonna open as wide. 

And if they get worse than 2021? That's when you think about maybe moving on. But it would have to be way worse.

Injury is what can be said for last season. Yet even when healthy they still didn't look like the 2020 version we were excited seeing. I think the whole unit will come out with something prove and we do get that a great year out of the Dline. They all where 1st round picks so the chip is their to prove themselves on the field. 

47 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes. Go back and look at my posts. I said that if he has a season like last, that I would still try to re-sign him. But I'm not paying him 20m+ AAV. Now, if he puts together a season like 2020? Yeah, I'll go high.

Either way I'd re-sign him. But only one will I go all out to pay him like a top DE.

You have to pay him in the range of a Nick Bosa or Brian Burns range. We can continue to disagree on his 2021 stats, but that still was a impressive season if we are talking a sack every other game. He only played ten games yet still had 5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. Somebody is gonna bite on that. With a even better season you and I agree he would be resigned.