What 3 players on the team now, have a lot to prove to you this year?

6 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes, our LB and secondary were not good last year. I called them out after pretty much every game. But it was also a problem with the DL not getting to the QB on longer drops. And quite a lot had to do with undisciplined play from our DEs. I think it's shortsighted not to understand what happened to improve the pass rush last year. You mentioned that it continued for a few weeks after. It most certainly did, we agree. But what happened after that? What happened during our 4-1 record where we were either getting to the QB or hurrying his pass? Backups. That's what. Backups that were NOT as talented as Chase and Montez, but who played better schematically last year than our starters. And the result was opposing QBs with less time to throw. 

This is why I said that both our DEs need to stop glory hunting and do their jobs. The sacks will come. But if you're so focused on getting the sack that you cause yourself to be out of position and create the space for the QB to complete the pass? Then I don't care if you get 5 sacks, or 8 sacks. Because if you're balancing those sacks with 20 bad plays where you kept the offense on the field because of your lack of discipline, it's actually a net negative to me.

Let's look forward to a more disciplined season from them. I definitely understand what you saying, in 2020 did the Dline seem more disciplined than in 2021? 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DCNative said:

Let's look forward to a more disciplined season from them. I definitely understand what you saying, in 2020 did the Dline seem more disciplined than in 2021? 

To me, yes. This is why I want them both to revert to 2020 form because I want to resign both of them. If they do that, I have no problem backing up a Brinks truck to their residences.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 10:50 PM, DCNative said:

Why are you doing the same thing they have done with Cousins, and Shcreff? Either resign him or get value for him this year. If Terry and Payne both aren't resigned this off-season that says imo Payne isn't in their long term plans. That being said trade him for player, not a pick. A player they have interest in keeping around for a while. 

My post isn’t what I would do, it’s what I think the team will do. I would’ve traded Payne in February for a 2nd & a 3rd or 4th while re-signing Settle & restructuring Ioannidis. I guess it could’ve been a player too but whatever, they just should’ve traded him. Now they have him quitting in practice & walking off the field bc they don’t plan to re-sign him. It’s ridiculous, it’s a problem they created. 

I do feel they’ll do the franchise game though bc they’ve done it now w/ Kirk & Scherff which is frustrating and sad for Payne & the fanbase. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

My post isn’t what I would do, it’s what I think the team will do. I would’ve traded Payne in February for a 2nd & a 3rd or 4th while re-signing Settle & restructuring Ioannidis. I guess it could’ve been a player too but whatever, they just should’ve trsddd him. Now they have him quitting in practice &’walking off the field bc they don’t plan to re-sign him. It’s ridiculous, it’s a problem they created. 

I don’t feel they’ll do so the franchise game though which is frustrating and sad for Payne & the fanbase. 

Where is this report of him walking off the field in practice? It's ridiculous we have to consistently go through these years of disappointment on and off the field. The fan base definitely deserves better. Not so much from the players but top management. Owner, VP, GM, HC, ect. 

1 hour ago, DCNative said:

Where is this report of him walking off the field in practice? It's ridiculous we have to consistently go through these years of disappointment on and off the field. The fan base definitely deserves better. Not so much from the players but top management. Owner, VP, GM, HC, ect. 

Lavar703 said it in the minicamp thread

12 hours ago, DCNative said:

Where is this report of him walking off the field in practice? 

https://theathletic.com/news/commanders-practice-daron-payne/KoYjDWuy5tLc/ 

Washington Commanders defensive tackle Daron Payne walked off the practice field and skipped team drills on Tuesday over his anger with the lack of a new extension entering the fifth and final year of his rookie deal, a source told The Athletic.

10 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Ok, he walked off due to contract issues. At least he showed up. As said if their not gonna extend him, they need to trade him now for a player. He is putting himself at risk by practicing with no long term money secured. I understand his frustration. 

On 5/25/2022 at 7:19 PM, DCNative said:

Ok, he walked off due to contract issues. At least he showed up. As said if their not gonna extend him, they need to trade him now for a player. He is putting himself at risk by practicing with no long term money secured. I understand his frustration. 

Payne is saying he didn’t walked off the field.

Ben Stading said he did or it looked like he did when the team went to a certain drill. I think it was one on one’s with the OL. In Ben’s defense, he asked for clarity about that after practice from Rivera or DelRio and he really wasn’t given an answer as to what happens. Ben asked if there was an injury or something that we don’t know about? Rivera wouldn’t say. So, when it’s left they vague the reporter can interpret the situation how they saw it bc the team gave no definitive reason for Payne not participating in the drill and walking off the field.

I will say this, Payne seems extra motivated this year to prove he deserves to be paid what his buddy Jon Allen is getting paid; especially judging by his hashtag of #mosthated we could get a pro bowl type year out of Payne which would be awesome if he and Allen are both unblockable in the middle.