Texans off-season thread

ET80

6 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Word on the street is that he is waiting until after the draft (bad move IMHO)

If the market is saying hes not going to get any real money, then waiting until after the draft is a great idea. He will have a better idea of the landscape, and will see where he can get PT and have a chance to compete. It's not like hes going to go unsigned. 

1 minute ago, Pastor Dillon said:

If the market is saying hes not going to get any real money, then waiting until after the draft is a great idea. He will have a better idea of the landscape, and will see where he can get PT and have a chance to compete. It's not like hes going to go unsigned. 

Normally... I might agree, but you could also have a ton of teams fill their WR needs and decide Dez ain't worth the headache (or $$$)

That being said, I could see teams having a better sense of their needs post draft as you pointed out.

I actually could see Dez remaining unsigned until a team suffers a WR injury (knock on wood)

9 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Ravens signing Snead knocks them out now.  I'm surprised he hasn't signed with anyone yet.

Does it? Snead was a 3 at best in New Orleans. Between him, John Brown, Breshaud Perriman and Michael Crabtree, there's plenty of room for Dez to get in on a one year deal. 

Dez is immediately the #1 in that group, even over Crabtree.

Not a fan of the QB's in the draft after the obvious ones (Allen, Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold).  Maybe Riley Ferguson but that's about it.  Not sure whats wrong with Weeden as the backup.  A rookie isn't going to come in and do any better if Watson goes out.  We need to improve the OL with those 3rd and 4th rounders and get a starting caliber TE.  Maybe we can use a late pick on a QB to compete with Webb for the 3rd string job.

What percentage you guys think we trade up round 2?  I say 60 percent we do.

13 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

What percentage you guys think we trade up round 2?  I say 60 percent we do.

Depends on who is there, IMO:

- If Orlando Brown is there at 33, trade up to get him.

- If Kolton Miller is there by pick 50, trade up to get him.

- If Connor Williams is there by pick 60, trade up to get him. 

Per the DVC, Pick 33 is worth 580 points, which is all three of our third round picks, plus our first pick in the 6th round. (About an 11 point difference, close enough for all intents and purposes). I think each of these guys can compete at RT in this league (with Brown as a boarderline elite RT as a pro). 

You're still banking on an OL with a raw 2nd year player in Julie'n Davenport and a rookie at RT, which is a messy situation to be in to begin with. If one of those three guys is there in the 2nd, don't hesitate to move up.

17 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Does it? Snead was a 3 at best in New Orleans. Between him, John Brown, Breshaud Perriman and Michael Crabtree, there's plenty of room for Dez to get in on a one year deal. 

Dez is immediately the #1 in that group, even over Crabtree.

To be fair Michael Thomas and Ginn was ahead of him. Snead was hurt last season early on and didn't have the year he did his first 2 seasons in the league. 

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Depends on who is there, IMO:

- If Orlando Brown is there at 33, trade up to get him.

- If Kolton Miller is there by pick 50, trade up to get him.

- If Connor Williams is there by pick 60, trade up to get him. 

Per the DVC, Pick 33 is worth 580 points, which is all three of our third round picks, plus our first pick in the 6th round. (About an 11 point difference, close enough for all intents and purposes). I think each of these guys can compete at RT in this league (with Brown as a boarderline elite RT as a pro). 

You're still banking on an OL with a raw 2nd year player in Julie'n Davenport and a rookie at RT, which is a messy situation to be in to begin with. If one of those three guys is there in the 2nd, don't hesitate to move up.

what is the link to that?  I want to see what the value is if we want to trade mid 2nd round.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Ive read some rumors that we are seriously considering a QB in the 3rd or 4th round depending on how the draft falls. I wouldnt be opposed to it at all. Webb and Weeden are not legit options if Watson gets hurt again. 

I'm keeping eyes on Kyle Lauletta from Richmond. He's a small school kid with good athletic tools and arm talent, and looked really good at the Senior Bowl, where OB was his coach.

4th might be higher than where he'd be slotted, but he'd be a really good grooming candidate.

5 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

To be fair Michael Thomas and Ginn was ahead of him. Snead was hurt last season early on and didn't have the year he did his first 2 seasons in the league. 

Nonetheless, it's not like he's going to steal snaps from Dez, who is the superior player. He's on a cheap deal, so you're not losing anything if he gets beat out.

59 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

confusing.  I hate math. >:(

We could easily, according to the chart, trade two 3rds and get into the middle of the 2nd round. 

Ubless there is a LT better than Davenport avaliable then I would rather add depth with the 2 picks. 

Archived