Texans off-season thread

ET80

Been traveling, but by way of catch-up, the time has officially come for Bob McNair to cede his CEO/Chairman role to Cal McNair before permanent and irreversible damage is done.  I've never been a fan of McNair's right wing politics, but can admit they were largely aligned both with the state in which he does business and amongst his fellow owners.  However, the line between politics and business has been clearly breached when for the second straight season he has made indefensible tone deaf public statements at ownership meetings on topics that are literally the biggest PR nightmare subjects facing entertainment properties and have brought down plenty of powerful CEO's.  The "inmate" comment was damaging enough to cause a team walk-out and at the very least helped Duane Brown leverage the perception of racial bias into a ticket out of town and placed the Texans front and center in a league-wide controversy that regardless of side has been unquestionably bad for business. 

While those comments were more combustible than this years defense of serial sexual harasser Jerry Richardson, I think even the most right leaning Republicans would question why a CEO would chose to defend and justify a man who had already publicly admitted that it was time for him to sell his team after at least 4 sexual harassment settlements, a damning internal investigation, and several insensitive racial comments to boot.  Look, plenty of us here in Austin stood by Lance Armstrong choosing to believe the best despite mounting evidence he was merely the best cheater and manipulator and used all the good he had done for cancer victims to justify the benefit of the doubt, but when his own foundation fired him was pretty much the signal that public defense was over and unlike Richardson, he didn't get sell anything and get a $3 billion payday.  

In 2018, if your CEO doesn't know how to address racial and sexual harassment issues in a manner befitting a mid-level fast food manager who sat through a mandatory web-ex seminar, he is not qualified to lead, period. McNair is absolutely on track to join his buddy Richardson and Sterling, Schott, DeBartolo, McCourt, as disgraced owners who lost their teams because of words coming out of their mouths as being old and tone deaf simply isn't an excuse.  Cal needs to act now, both to protect his financial interest in a billion dollar franchise and the legacy of his father as both are in significant peril.

And for fun...

Bob McNair reads a room so poorly, I half expect him to show up in Dallas for the draft, complain about Shaquem Griffin's handshake with the Commish, blame the July 2016 Dallas shootings on Kaepernick (who first took a knee in Sept 2016), compare Deshaun's accuracy with Lee Harvey Oswald's, call Dimebag and Stevie Ray overrated, name Vanilla Ice his favorite rapper,  claim Scott Bakula's Necessary Roughness is a better football movie than Nick Nolte's North Dallas Forty, remind people JR got shot in his workplace by woman claiming sexual harassment and that Bobby Ewing would have never returned had he had to do it in a gender neutral bathroom.  Of course, I'll forgive him if he reminds Cowboys fans that the lowly Texans beat the Cowboys in our first game ever and have more playoff wins than they do in the post Jimmy Johnson era.

31 minutes ago, Apollo Stallion said:

And for fun...

Bob McNair reads a room so poorly, I half expect him to show up in Dallas for the draft, complain about Shaquem Griffin's handshake with the Commish, blame the July 2016 Dallas shootings on Kaepernick (who first took a knee in Sept 2016), compare Deshaun's accuracy with Lee Harvey Oswald's, call Dimebag and Stevie Ray overrated, name Vanilla Ice his favorite rapper,  claim Scott Bakula's Necessary Roughness is a better football movie than Nick Nolte's North Dallas Forty, remind people JR got shot in his workplace by woman claiming sexual harassment and that Bobby Ewing would have never returned had he had to do it in a gender neutral bathroom.  Of course, I'll forgive him if he reminds Cowboys fans that the lowly Texans beat the Cowboys in our first game ever and have more playoff wins than they do in the post Jimmy Johnson era.

Nessessary Roughness is better than North Dallas Forty

23 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Nessessary Roughness is better than North Dallas Forty

Sinbad and Rob Schneider were in Necessary Roughness.  John Matuszak and Dabney Coleman were in ND40.  I rest my case.

PS - I'll even spot you points for Kathy Ireland as the hot Kicker, but you'll never top GD Spradlin as evil pseudo Tom Landry. 

4 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Sinbad and Rob Schneider were in Necessary Roughness.  John Matuszak and Dabney Coleman were in ND40.  I rest my case.

PS - I'll even spot you points for Kathy Ireland as the hot Kicker, but you'll never top GD Spradlin as evil pseudo Tom Landry. 

Nessesary Roughness had that epic “his last words were win or ill die”

and it was heart burn. 

On 3/30/2018 at 6:52 PM, Apollo Stallion said:

Been traveling, but by way of catch-up, the time has officially come for Bob McNair to cede his CEO/Chairman role to Cal McNair before permanent and irreversible damage is done.  I've never been a fan of McNair's right wing politics, but can admit they were largely aligned both with the state in which he does business and amongst his fellow owners.  However, the line between politics and business has been clearly breached when for the second straight season he has made indefensible tone deaf public statements at ownership meetings on topics that are literally the biggest PR nightmare subjects facing entertainment properties and have brought down plenty of powerful CEO's.  The "inmate" comment was damaging enough to cause a team walk-out and at the very least helped Duane Brown leverage the perception of racial bias into a ticket out of town and placed the Texans front and center in a league-wide controversy that regardless of side has been unquestionably bad for business. 

While those comments were more combustible than this years defense of serial sexual harasser Jerry Richardson, I think even the most right leaning Republicans would question why a CEO would chose to defend and justify a man who had already publicly admitted that it was time for him to sell his team after at least 4 sexual harassment settlements, a damning internal investigation, and several insensitive racial comments to boot.  Look, plenty of us here in Austin stood by Lance Armstrong choosing to believe the best despite mounting evidence he was merely the best cheater and manipulator and used all the good he had done for cancer victims to justify the benefit of the doubt, but when his own foundation fired him was pretty much the signal that public defense was over and unlike Richardson, he didn't get sell anything and get a $3 billion payday.  

In 2018, if your CEO doesn't know how to address racial and sexual harassment issues in a manner befitting a mid-level fast food manager who sat through a mandatory web-ex seminar, he is not qualified to lead, period. McNair is absolutely on track to join his buddy Richardson and Sterling, Schott, DeBartolo, McCourt, as disgraced owners who lost their teams because of words coming out of their mouths as being old and tone deaf simply isn't an excuse.  Cal needs to act now, both to protect his financial interest in a billion dollar franchise and the legacy of his father as both are in significant peril.

And he just keeps going...

Even if you think that, why are you saying it?! The guy is an absolute embarrassment.

10 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

And he just keeps going...

Even if you think that, why are you saying it?! The guy is an absolute embarrassment.

That’s not exactly what he said. He said he wasnt talking about the players, he was talking about league executives that have more power than the owners and he regrets apologizing for that. 

Which I think is a lie but it’s also a lie that yahoo posted that he said he regrets calling players inmates. 

35 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

That’s not exactly what he said. He said he wasnt talking about the players, he was talking about league executives that have more power than the owners and he regrets apologizing for that. 

Which I think is a lie but it’s also a lie that yahoo posted that he said he regrets calling players inmates. 

Even if he wasn't trying to refer to players as inmates (which is total BS and excuse he made 3 days after the initial backlash), it was understand by everyone that he was talking about the players, so players, rightfully, took offense to it. He then apologized to the players for the comments because they took offense to it, not the executives. He's saying he should have never had to apologize to the players because he didn't mean it like that, which is ridiculous because that's not how it works. It's not up to him to decide whether or not something is offensive. Again, it's just him being extremely tone deaf.

On 4/5/2018 at 1:40 PM, Marco79 said:

Even if he wasn't trying to refer to players as inmates (which is total BS and excuse he made 3 days after the initial backlash), it was understand by everyone that he was talking about the players, so players, rightfully, took offense to it. He then apologized to the players for the comments because they took offense to it, not the executives. He's saying he should have never had to apologize to the players because he didn't mean it like that, which is ridiculous because that's not how it works. It's not up to him to decide whether or not something is offensive. Again, it's just him being extremely tone deaf.

I didn't buy his revisionist story for a second as apologizing for something you didn't do in the first place is akin to a person saying they didn't mean to steal something while acting contrite and offering to pay for it.  That's what a guilty person does. For him to double down not only shows continued tone deafness and public relations idiocy, but at this point I think the league would be absolutely justified in levying a hefty fine his way and firing up the lawyers to let him know that continued detrimental conduct could lead to forfeiting draft picks, suspension, and on up the line.  Jer Jer in Dallas just got a $2 million lesson in publicly challenging league executives with his anti-Goddell,/Arthur Blank rantings.  While using "inmates" to describe players may be an unpopular take in the court of public opinion, publicly saying league executives are treating owners like inmates is a violation of league bylaws that place the collective power of 31 other billionaires against the violator.  McNair should take a hint at just how out of touch he is when he was the only one to speak up in defense of Jerry Richardson who wasn't strong enough to stand up to team and league pressure and pending investigations.

I can see where his initial comments may have been made privately, but by publicly reopening this to again point the finger instead at a rift between owners and executives, he's crossing a line that requires the league to act or at the very least gives them the leverage to enforce a gag order and provide real consequences if he continues to make statements that damage both the team and the league.  Hell, admitting that he viewed Duane Brown as an instigator and troublemaker and trading him because he raised a stink about an owner's racial comments opens him up to any number of potential legal issues including federal whistleblower, labor law, and civil rights violations and dovetails nicely into Kaep's collusion suit.  

If a coach or player complaining about referees after a single game draws a $25k fine, an owner criticizing executives breaches a far higher standard of respect for the shield.  Players and coaches don't get to take back these comments or reexplain or point to the other positives they say over the course of a press conference and at this point McNair needs to be treated like a habitual offender and massive legal liability.

On 3/30/2018 at 5:52 PM, Apollo Stallion said:

Cal needs to act now, both to protect his financial interest in a billion dollar franchise and the legacy of his father as both are in significant peril.

Question on this - do we know that Cal is any different? Devil you know vs devil you don't know and whatnot...

Archived