What was the last truly great team in the NFL?

CP3MVP

48 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I think you guys were lucky to get past the Niners personally. Luck definitely plays a part in the playoffs. 

Luck plays a part in the regular season too.

But if you watch that game, the Niners were actually lucky to even be in the game. When the fourth quarter started, we had one punt and 7 points. A dropped open TD led to a missed FG. Tipped INT. One of the only times Stafford was stopped on a 4th and inches sneak.

That game shouldn't really have been close to begin with. Then we got lucky with the Tartt drop, obviously - but it really should have been out of reach before that.

2 hours ago, LieutenantGains said:

2004 Patriots and 2013 Seahawks are the only truly great champions of the 21st century. I'd say the only three great teams of the 21st century are those two along with the 2007 Patriots.

There are handful in the tier behind them, but they weren't truly great.

Can't be an all time great team without winning the SB in the end, sorry.

Despite the fact had they Won that would of been the best NFL team/season ever.

19 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

All I'm hearing is, they must have been great to intercept a borderline hall of fame QB 4 times.

For real though, this is the problem with a question like this, is nostalgia takes over. We remember the flaws of the recent teams much better than those of the past. Sure, the 2019 Chiefs only beat a bad Chargers team by one score. The 1984 49ers gave up 27 points and won by just a FG against the 4 win Gary Danielson Lions. The 91 Redskins, great argument for greatest single year team ever, had to come from behind to beat the Phoenix Cardinals, who went 4-12. Whose best QB that year was a punter. Teams don't generally blow out every bad team on the schedule.

If we insist on it being a superbowl winning team, the 2019 Chiefs, a few iterations of the Patriots, the 2013 Seahawks, maybe even the 2010 Packers (I'd argue Matt Moore for 2019 KC and Matt Flynn for 2010 Green Bay made the stats and record look less great than they could have for each team.) If we're open to teams that didn't go all the way, the 2019 Ravens, the 2020 Chiefs, the 2011 Packers, a few more iterations of the Patriots, Manning's early Bronco teams, the 2021 Bills, the Andy Reid Eagles teams, a handful of Steelers teams, the 2006 Chargers, etc. Just depends on where we want to draw the line. For instance, I'd consider the early 90s Bills to be a great football team. So by extension, I have no problem calling the 06 Chargers, 11 Packers, 19 Ravens, 02 Eagles, etc., great teams as well.

But I do still agree that not all super bowl winning teams are great. The 15 Broncos, the 02 Bucs, the 09 Saints, those are more great units than they are great overall teams. Teams like the 12 Ravens are a team catching fire at the right time. I can't with a straight face call a team QB'd by Nick Foles great, even if they were great when it mattered.

That wasn’t even a typical 5-11 team

They got blown out once (Vikings) and entered Week 17 with a positive point differential, despite being 5-10