What was the last truly great team in the NFL?

CP3MVP

In your opinion? Obviously we all have our own definitions of what a great team is. I was having this discussion with my older brother the other day on the topic of team greatness. Every year a different Super Bowl champion is crowned but not every Sb champion is great. Some years just don’t have a great team. 

2008 Is a classic example for me. There was no great teams, the steelers won the SB with a great defense but overall it was just a good team. The team they beat in the Super Bowl wasn’t even good.  In 2018 my Patriots won the Superbowl, I loved that team they weren’t great. They were a really good team that played well in January. The 04 Team? That was a great team. 

Like let’s look at the last few SB champions. Do you consider the 21 Rams to be a great team? Or the 19 Chiefs or 20 Bucs?

Edited by CP3MVP

The 2013 Seattle Seahawks were a great team, imo. A bunch of Pro Bowlers, a fantastic young QB, they had some talent on their OL back then. Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate, and Percy Harvin at WR. Prime Beastmode was their bell-cow. Legion of boom on defense, with three All-Pros in their secondary. Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, and Bruce Irvin at LB. Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett were on the team, and they weren't even the starting edge rushers.

• Like 3

2016 or 2014 Pats probably if you are talking from top to bottom on both sides of the ball. 

This is a hard question though. Like the 2015 Broncos are historic for their defense, but the offense was such an albatross that idk if you count that as an all time great total team. 

Were any of the 2000s Colts teams great? That is kind of how I view the current version of the Chiefs.  

Just skimming (don't bite my ******* head off) back to 2010 Super Bowl, off the top of my head only the 19 Chiefs, 13 Seahawks, and 09 Saints were teams that I would say were the best team that season, and went on to win the Super Bowl.  

On 5/30/2022 at 5:28 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Were any of the 2000s Colts teams great? That is kind of how I view the current version of the Chiefs.  

Just skimming (don't bite my ******* head off) back to 2010 Super Bowl, off the top of my head only the 19 Chiefs, 13 Seahawks, and 09 Saints were teams that I would say were the best team that season, and went on to win the Super Bowl.  

The 09 Saints had a shaky defense that was very dependent on turnovers. It's arguable that Minnesota was better and they were not favored against Indy in the Super Bowl.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 2

As much as it pains me to say it but the 2019 Chiefs probably. 

Mahomes missed games and had to play through injury early in the year. That team very likely goes 13-3/14-2 and looks a lot more impressive on paper if not for that. 

Other recent “Great” teams I would say are: 2016 Pats, 2014 Pats, 2013 Seahawks, 2007 Pats, 2004 Pats

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

If the 49ers had a better qb in the early 00s I think they would have been a great team. 

The 49ers defense those days even with a great QB wouldn't have been some dominant force. 2001 was the only year where it was quality top ten unit. 

If one needs the caveat of having won the Super Bowl...not many teams in the last circa 25 years to me are going to stack up to squads in the pre salary cap age. 2004 Patriots, 1999 Rams, 1998 Broncos, 1996 Packers 1994 49ers come to mind, but...aren't that many teams recently I can think of where the season was just a three month long coronation to becoming champs like the 1991 Redskins or 1989 49ers. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

8 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

If one needs the caveat of having won the Super Bowl...not many teams in the last circa 25 years to me are going to stack up to squads in the pre salary cap age. 2004 Patriots, 1999 Rams, 1998 Broncos, 1996 Packers 1994 49ers come to mind, but...aren't that many teams recently I can think of where the season was just a three month long coronation to becoming champs like the 1991 Redskins or 1989 49ers. 

Ive heard people argue this the last 20 years,That we haven’t had a great champion since the 99 Rams. Like them and the 98 Broncos were the last great Superbowl champions. 

Me I Disagree. The 2004 Patriots and the 2013 Seahawks were great teams 

It's too subjective to get to a resolution. 

For me, there's only a handful of great teams. 

Like 85 Bears, 84 9ers, 91 Redskins, 75 Steelers, 99 Rams, 92 Cowboys etc. I think the 04 Pats can qualify, given 4th overall O and 2nd overall D that year, plus picking the best season of a genuine dynasty.