UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

20 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think Pace is already working on this and has an idea of who he wants to interview and the order in which he wants to do it. I don't think he's going to take forever... I hope not, anyway.

Part of the challenge is just logistics.

Like free agents the first meeting is almost the most important.

I am sure there have been years where teams have missed on coaches because they can't get their guy in during the window.

Imagine if DeFilippo spends his bye week in Indy and Tampa, could eliminate the Bears before they have a chance.

29 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Part of the challenge is just logistics.

Like free agents the first meeting is almost the most important.

I am sure there have been years where teams have missed on coaches because they can't get their guy in during the window.

Imagine if DeFilippo spends his bye week in Indy and Tampa, could eliminate the Bears before they have a chance.

The first interview is "only" a day, although I've heard they're pretty extensive. Even if he had 3 interviews lined up, he could go to them all that week.

31 minutes ago, G08 said:

The first interview is "only" a day, although I've heard they're pretty extensive. Even if he had 3 interviews lined up, he could go to them all that week.

I remember reading about one of the top candidates doing 2 interviews a day for a few days during the first week. Don’t remember who it was. These guys will make sure they interview for any job they want. There are only so many jobs and so many chances to be that “hot” candidate. Take Nagy for instance - if he doesn’t get a gig this year and next year KC’s offense woefully underwhelms in 2018 he may have missed his window to get a job all together. 

5 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

That’s not very descriptive. Who are the usual suspects? Is he taking about McDaniels/Harbaugh/Cooter, or all of the OC/QB guys we’ve been hearing about recently?

It's Chicago.

The usual crew:

Harbaugh

Gruden

Cowher

Singletary

Only one has any reason to even be looked at as a HC, but Chucky, Chin, and the Samurai will be all around the outlets as "possible candidates."

You know Gruden loved Trubisky... and Sanchez... and Tebow... and all but maybe 2-3 QBs since the 1980s.

10 hours ago, G08 said:

Could, but one of them stretches into 2 days. Both sides are feeling it, and all of a sudden you are standing at the back of the school dance with the dudes talking about Magic Cards.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Could, but one of them stretches into 2 days. Both sides are feeling it, and all of a sudden you are standing at the back of the school dance with the dudes talking about Magic Cards.

Even after McVay's first interview with the Rams, where he crushed it, he still went out and interviewed with another team before coming back for his second.

22 minutes ago, G08 said:

Even after McVay's first interview with the Rams, where he crushed it, he still went out and interviewed with another team before coming back for his second.

He did not have a time restriction on him.

Some of these guys are going to be going back to work and are not really taking a full week for the bye week.

I do not think that either NE guy took an interview during the bye week. The 49ers took a huge risk waiting on Shannahan and ended up with a trash staff this season.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He did not have a time restriction on him.

Some of these guys are going to be going back to work and are not really taking a full week for the bye week.

I do not think that either NE guy took an interview during the bye week. The 49ers took a huge risk waiting on Shannahan and ended up with a trash staff this season.

Atlanta waited for Dan Quinn and turned out fine.

I don't think it's smart to interview just one candidate and offer him the job (Rooney Rule not withstanding).

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Atlanta waited for Dan Quinn and turned out fine.

I don't think it's smart to interview just one candidate and offer him the job (Rooney Rule not withstanding).

We do not offer 1 candidate the job.

Bye Week

If Defilippo is our #1 guy we ensure that we are #1 on his dance card, take up his time and make sure he knows what we offer before he ends up somewhere else.

Shurmur

Patricia, if we can fit it in.

Week 1

Nagy

Lafleur

2nd Interviews

We could be in a position to do a 2nd interview with guys by the 12th and offer by the 2nd weekend of the playoffs. That would get us into the assistant coaching market nice and early and give maximum time for staff building.

Monday: Fire Fox

Tuesday: Logistics and Interview Requests

Wednesday: Hopefully the travel works out

Thursday: Interview Day

Friday: Interview Day

Saturday: Interview Day

Sunday: Most coaches who are on bye week are probably back home at this point.

The bye week is really 3-4 interview days if you are lucky and the travel and scheduling works out.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Monday: Fire Fox

Tuesday: Logistics and Interview Requests

Wednesday: Hopefully the travel works out

Thursday: Interview Day

Friday: Interview Day

Saturday: Interview Day

Sunday: Most coaches who are on bye week are probably back home at this point.

The bye week is really 3-4 interview days if you are lucky and the travel and scheduling works out.

Sounds reasonable. Gabriel also was talking about how the year that Jauron was fired, the entire building knew it was going to happen so they jump started researching candidates by talking to their former players/coaches etc while the season was still ongoing. A lot of vetting done behind the scenes. It sounds like Pace knew he wanted to draft a QB after the Eagles game last year and thus started his secrecy in scouting Trubisky. Could he be doing the same thing right now? My money says yes.

It'll be nice once this is all over with so we can start really digging into these coaches, their schemes, and then see how our roster fits what they might plan for us.

The timing is also why I would fire John Fox on Tuesday after the Browns game and I have an interview set up with my #1 target on Monday or Tuesday of the 1st playoff week.

If Nagy is my guy I would be in Kansas City on Monday the 1st or Tuesday the 2nd, whichever the Chiefs have off.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Sounds reasonable. Gabriel also was talking about how the year that Jauron was fired, the entire building knew it was going to happen so they jump started researching candidates by talking to their former players/coaches etc while the season was still ongoing. A lot of vetting done behind the scenes. It sounds like Pace knew he wanted to draft a QB after the Eagles game last year and thus started his secrecy in scouting Trubisky. Could he be doing the same thing right now? My money says yes.

It'll be nice once this is all over with so we can start really digging into these coaches, their schemes, and then see how our roster fits what they might plan for us.

I am sure that the background stuff will be done.

I would want to have my #1 guy in as soon as possible as to not lose the chance to interview him 1st.

If Nagy is your guy and you do not interview him on black Monday or Tuesday you may not talk to him for 3 weeks and then goodbye assistants.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am sure that the background stuff will be done.

I would want to have my #1 guy in as soon as possible as to not lose the chance to interview him 1st.

If Nagy is your guy and you do not interview him on black Monday or Tuesday you may not talk to him for 3 weeks and then goodbye assistants.

How does it work with playoff teams that are not on a bye? Do we have to wait for them to be eliminated?

Archived