UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

I honestly am burnt out from all this stuff, I don't think I even care who we hire anymore. Everyone has their plusses and minuses.

I made a case for McDaniels and for DeFilippo, so I guess those are my top two choices.

Shurmur seems fine but I selfishly want a homerun swing.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I honestly am burnt out from all this stuff, I don't think I even care who we hire anymore. Everyone has their plusses and minuses.

I made a case for McDaniels and for DeFilippo, so I guess those are my top two choices.

Shurmur seems fine but I selfishly want a homerun swing.

Shumur is just such a boring hire, but I thought the same of Mike Zimmer and he's been an awesome coach for the Vikes. Even Caldwell for the Lions was boring but overall very solid.

Starting to seem more and more that McDaniels is Paces option A and Shurmur is his option B. Really hope we beat out NYG on Friday during the interview process. He's a goldmine hire for where this team is at right now

EDIT: McDaniels that is

Just now, pigsooie5 said:

Starting to seem more and more that McDaniels is Paces option A and Shurmur is his option B. Really hope we beat out NYG on Friday during the interview process. He's a goldmine hire for where this team is at right now

IF he has grown up, that is the huge blemish in my mind. Pompei's article made it seem like he has grown up, but I really don't know.

16 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Flip is the hot choice for sure so Pace better know what he is getting.

That’s when I cringe a little every time I hear somebody say “find their McVay” or “just follow the Rams model.”  Don’t just copy what somebody else did and expect it to work the exact same way. That’s a really easy trap to fall into.

Guys like McVay and Shanahan not only came from NFL bloodlines, but dynasty-grade NFL bloodlines to boot. It’s not enough for a candidate to simply be the next up-and-coming QB guy.

I said weeks ago that resume is only part of the equation. DeFilippo is a legitimate candidate because of his recent work, and his demeanor seams pretty solid, but his work history isn’t very strong.

Shurmur and Nagy have spent extensive time under Andy Reid. Even though the Belichick tree has a lousy reputation, McDaniels has extensive time there. DeFilippo spent three years under Dennis Allen and one under Mike Pettine.

There are never candidates for jobs that are 100% perfect, but all of this has to be weighed.

Just now, G08 said:

IF he has grown up, that is the huge blemish in my mind. Pompei's article made it seem like he has grown up, but I really don't know.

I think people sometimes forget that coaches develop and mature just like players do. I'd actually venture to say that his failed stint in Denver is a PLUS not a MINUS. It gives him a completely other perspective, I have a ton of confidence he will thrive in his second stint and become one of the premiere HCs in the NFL.

1 minute ago, pigsooie5 said:

I think people sometimes forget that coaches develop and mature just like players do. I'd actually venture to say that his failed stint in Denver is a PLUS not a MINUS. It gives him a completely other perspective, I have a ton of confidence he will thrive in his second stint and become one of the premiere HCs in the NFL.

That’s why my #1 question when I’m involved in an interview is how somebody responds to failure and to cite an example. That carries a lot of weight for me. I want to know what somebody does to right the ship when they lose, because it’s inevitable that there will be bad days.

3 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

That’s when I cringe a little every time I hear somebody said “find their McVay” or “just follow the Rams model.”  Don’t just copy what somebody else did and expect it to work the exact same way. That’s a really easy trap to fall into.

Guys like McVay and Shanahan not only came from NFL bloodlines, but dynasty-grade NFL bloodlines to boot. It’s not enough for a candidate to simply be the next up-and-coming QB guy.

I said weeks ago that resume is only part of the equation. DeFilippo is a legitimate candidate because of his recent work, and his demeanor seams pretty solid, but his work history isn’t very strong.

Shurmur and Nagy have spent extensive time under Andy Reid. Even though the Belichick tree has a lousy reputation, McDaniels has extensive time there. DeFilippo spent three years under Dennis Allen and one under Mike Pettine.

There are never candidates for jobs that are 100% perfect, but all of this has to be weighed.

Very good point. We all have recency bias- we see McVay and Kyle Shannahn doing well and we assume that would be the best choice for the Bears. Those TWO candidates were maybe just exceptionally good.

On paper, I would say McDaniels is the best option out there to work with MT10. The kid is accurate (but needs to clean up his mechanics like most young QBs) like Brady but he has that whole other dimension of being an athletic specimen that can not only make plays with his feet but throwing on the run as well.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

On paper, I would say McDaniels is the best option out there to work with MT10. The kid is accurate (but needs to clean up his mechanics like most young QBs) like Brady but he has that whole other dimension of being an athletic specimen that can not only make plays with his feet but throwing on the run as well.

What kind of scheme does mcDs run exactly? The one thing we know about the Pats is they invest a ton in their Oline.

I think it is easy for McDaniels to say he has grown up now he is back in NE where everything goes well basically all of the time but how will he deal with adversity again as the top guy? That is my question...I don't question his ability to develop Trubisky...I love the idea of him using Shaheen the same as Gronk and I think Meredith fits the Pats usual mode of having a solid bigger body like LaFell on the outside then we can sign and draft the guys he wants...the running game would still be our go to as well as the Pats have shown they will grind it out of need be...

But it's how he handles the rest of the team and the personalities of the players on both sides of the ball...how does he deal with the Chicago media questioning him if we score only 9 points in a game or go on a 3 game losing run? Because that will happen and as we have seen with other coaches to come out of NE sometimes they don't have the ability to handle that aspect of being an HC.

3 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

In regards to McDaniels, I like that he comes from an offense that will adapt to fit their personnel rather than asking guys to do something they can’t.

No doubt...we have seen them be a true spread offence...use two TEs as a base D...we have even seen them going to a power running offence at times...means we can draft the best talent and allow McDaniels to adapt to them...as an out and out offensive mind he is clearly a smart guy.

Archived