Justin Houston Brought Back on 1-year Deal

baltimoreRebel

Awesome, was waiting on this one. The Houston/Oweh/Bowser rotation last season was our best in years. If Bowser can return to form after his injury and Ojabo is able to contribute we should field at least a C+/B- level outside pass rush. If Oweh takes a major step forward, which is certainly possible given his profile, we might even be able to creep up towards that B/B+ territory. Which coupled with a projected B+/A level interior unit(Campbell, Pierce, Buike, Jones) could give us the strongest overall pass rush we've had since 2014. Exciting.

Only foreseeable “weak” spot on the defense now IMO is ILB if Bynes finally starts to show his age this year and Queen doesn’t finally have an entire consistent year of playing up to his draft position.

The inverse of that though is if Queen can just somehow manage to play like a first round pick for all 17 games this year our defense could be absolutely next level. He’s had flashes but it’s put up or shut up time for Queen in year 3. Go out and justify being a first round pick at ILB this year and elevate the defense to something legitimately scary.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:04 AM, Ray Reed said:

Only foreseeable “weak” spot on the defense now IMO is ILB if Bynes finally starts to show his age this year and Queen doesn’t finally have an entire consistent year of playing up to his draft position.

The inverse of that though is if Queen can just somehow manage to play like a first round pick for all 17 games this year our defense could be absolutely next level. He’s had flashes but it’s put up or shut up time for Queen in year 3. Go out and justify being a first round pick at ILB this year and elevate the defense to something legitimately scary.

I don’t disagree with your evaluation, I agree with the idea that the spot is very boom or bust.

However for me the caveat is that the ILB position is one where historically speaking we’ve gotten some of our greatest production from the low round and/or UDFA types. ZaKoby McClain for example seems an intriguing option, especially given our multi safety looks where his weaknesses might be somewhat avoided.

Malik Harrison is also entering his third season and he came out of OSU as one of the best ILBs in that class. With his tools, if he figures it out, he could boom.

Now obviously Queen is going to be given the keys to the spot, but if he were somehow to go down, I think we’ve got enough at the spot where others could also boom to success.

But again, realistically, the entire spot could also bust.

Glad it’s finally official for Houston to return. Hopefully MM’s defense is better able to allow guys like he and Campbell to get home and sack the QB. Wink’s defense hindered pass rush production and I’m excited to see if after he’s gone, the defense makes a jump forward, the talent is there.

Edited by diamondbull424