Thoughts on my Top 10 RBS of all time

mdonnelly21

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

For sure by today’s metrics, but splitting carries during his prime, especially with Bo, was a big part of that. He was also a TD machine and had a lot of playoff/Super Bowl success.

Even in those 4 years his YPC we're: 3.7, 3.8, 4.2, and 3.8.

Marcus was good. He put up a lot of numbers by staying healthy and he was a very good receiving back, but I really don't think he's underrated. He has no argument as a top 10 RB and I usually see him when people make lists up to top 20, which is about right.

19 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

My guess is solely preservation.

Guy didn't have much of a problem scoring from goal to go situations early in his career but there was a distinct change in goalline touches in '93.

Unless you want to argue that Derrick Moore was a better goal line back.

I think Barry's dancing and propensity for losing yardage is why they took him out. Barry had a risky running style that could yield lots of explosive plays but he also lost yardage quite frequently. Once the Lions were at the 1 yard line, there are no more explosive plays, so you need someone who can hit the hole hard and burst through contact. That wasn't Barry's running style, which is why I think I would put Jim Brown above him. 

On 8/1/2022 at 4:27 PM, Bullet Club said:

First, the people who grew up watching Barry grew up and starting posting. Second, this is not a last five years thing and certainly didn't randomly start in 2019. It's been going on for a minimum of a decade, and likely longer.

I remember in the 90s it was pretty evenly split over who was better, Barry vs Emmitt. Barry was more unique and special, but hard-nosed football types appreciated Emmitt's toughness how he hit the hole. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

I think Barry's dancing and propensity for losing yardage is why they took him out. Barry had a risky running style that could yield lots of explosive plays but he also lost yardage quite frequently. Once the Lions were at the 1 yard line, there are no more explosive plays, so you need someone who can hit the hole hard and burst through contact. That wasn't Barry's running style, which is why I think I would put Jim Brown above him. 

Barry scored 11 TDs from a yard out in his first four seasons.  Emmitt Smith, who no one would accuse of dancing to find the hole around the goal line, scored 12x from the same distance in his first four seasons.

One hits the hole hard and the other dances too much.

1 hour ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Barry scored 11 TDs from a yard out in his first four seasons.  Emmitt Smith, who no one would accuse of dancing to find the hole around the goal line, scored 12x from the same distance in his first four seasons.

One hits the hole hard and the other dances too much.

Last I checked Barry Sanders holds the record for most negative rushing yards in NFL history. He had lots of rushes for 0 or negative yards. It's an empirical fact. 

I ranked Barry no. 2 all time, well ahead of Smith. But an honest assessment of Barry has to include that he was a "boom-or-bust" type back with lots of big plays with a fair number of negative plays as well. That style is not ideal at the goal line. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Last I checked Barry Sanders holds the record for most negative rushing yards in NFL history. He had lots of rushes for 0 or negative yards. It's an empirical fact. 

I ranked Barry no. 2 all time, well ahead of Smith. But an honest assessment of Barry has to include that he was a "boom-or-bust" type back with lots of big plays with a fair number of negative plays as well. That style is not ideal at the goal line. 

I thought you wanted to know why Barry was taken out on the goal line?

And i've never heard the negative yardage thing used against Walter Payton.  Which is odd, because he's #2 on the list. 

Was Walter Payton also a boom or bust type back?

12 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I thought you wanted to know why Barry was taken out on the goal line?

And i've never heard the negative yardage thing used against Walter Payton.  Which is odd, because he's #2 on the list. 

Was Walter Payton also a boom or bust type back?

Ok, well your idea that he was held out of goal line situations because of preservation is obviously a bad argument. Anyone with basic football knowledge knows that scat-back types like Barry Sanders are less effective at the goal line than bigger backs who can burst through the hole and run over people. The idea that the Lions would get down to the one yard line and use worse players so they would kick FGs instead of TDs in nonsensical. The goal line is where you use your best players and plays. 

I don't have the stat the Walter Payton is 2nd in negative yardage so if you can link that I'd appreciate it. But he's 2nd all time in carries and played for some bad teams so that wouldn't surprise me. Payton was an elusive runner whose style is closer to Barry Sanders than other power backs.