2022 GDT Week Four Da Steelers Vs. Da Jets

Steeler Hitman

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm no expert on O-line play, but unless the strategy was for all the guys to fall down, that's a problematic play. 

It's probably not all as bad as it looks overall. Daniels is flowing right for the pitch options of the play and his dude completely lowers his head and bull rushes Daniel's back shoulder. I actually think he does a nice job of recovering from that really odd condition and flipping back to wall off the defender. 

Dotson......well, his is as bad as it looked. Like, really badly. For a dude that came into the league as a power run blocker, he has been pretty disappointing in that part of the game. 

6 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

It's probably not all as bad as it looks overall. Daniels is flowing right for the pitch options of the play and his dude completely lowers his head and bull rushes Daniel's back shoulder. I actually think he does a nice job of recovering from that really odd condition and flipping back to wall off the defender. 

That part doesn’t even bother me about Daniels - its more how easily he got blown back.  His base wasn’t good at all.

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

its more how easily he got blown back.  His base wasn’t good at all.

I don't think I would consider this being blow back. He is moving right and this guy completely bull rushes his left arm.  I am not sure how many people stonewall that, so the fact he can flip back and usher that defender completely out of the play is still a win. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Dotson......well, his is as bad as it looked. Like, really badly. For a dude that came into the league as a power run blocker, he has been pretty disappointing in that part of the game. 

This is a pretty strange development. His pass blocking has been worlds better than his run blocking. 

Watching replays of Chase not reaching up for that ball on the first pick is pretty frustrating. I really thought the sky was the limit for Chase after his rookie season, but he continues to be a disappointment. DJ is still inconsistent. Looks like an all pro one game and then is invisible in the next or noticeable for costly drops.

I've noticed on other sites, that I go on, that there is a section of Steeler fans who really seem to want Pickett to fail. If they can't see how the team responded with Pickett in there, then I don't know what to say. Let him get the experience now. There's nothing to lose. There is no reason why Trubinsky should start another game.

I'm gonna guess there is more to the story here.....but if that's true it will severely damage my perception of Mike Tomlin as someone to lead a team through a rebuild. I will not trust his judgment.

You don't go with a vet to shrink your options and your playbook. It would be absolutely baffling if playing the rookie -- the guy he was trying to avoid playing -- opened up your offense and the way you call it. 

• Like 2

Better view of the first interception. I wouldn't sell DJ's stock yet. He had a lot of plays in the second half where he broke open and the ball went somewhere else. 

Not sure why Pickett wanted this play to Claypool. Also not sure what Pickens route is really doing here. If he goes vertical he takes the corner and it's a super open cross her to DJ flowing the way Pickett is rolling. Canada hasn't had great concepts on the drop back game, but we see this a lot -- 3 receivers vs 6 coverage guys. 

This is where experience and playing time become so important. Hopefully, the next time Kenny sees this he processes that 2 High is MOF open and just hits DJ for an easy 10+.

This isn't bad design by Canada though, but it does leave you wanting a little. The PA and the half roll take the LBs apart and really opens up the middle for DJ. Pickens just isn't doing much and it feels like a long throw on the run from the opposite hash to be the first read. Feels like Kenny's mind might have been made up here after the play was called though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I wouldn't sell DJ's stock yet. He had a lot of plays in the second half where he broke open and the ball went somewhere else.

It does look like DJ was open while Pickett had the ball. Good call on the Pickens route too, wtf was that? My selling of DJ stock has really nothing to do with him as a talent. I just get tired of him quitting on routes and throwing his hands up like it was someone else's fault, plus his debilitating drops. I know his drop rate is actually pretty solid, but it seems like every one of his drops is at the worst possible time or leads to the worst possible outcome. That was a well thought out and intricate post, though. Always good to have solid tape breakdown. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It does look like DJ was open while Pickett had the ball. Good call on the Pickens route too, wtf was that? My selling of DJ stock has really nothing to do with him as a talent. I just get tired of him quitting on routes and throwing his hands up like it was someone else's fault, plus his debilitating drops. I know his drop rate is actually pretty solid, but it seems like every one of his drops is at the worst possible time or leads to the worst possible outcome. That was a well thought out and intricate post, though. Always good to have solid tape breakdown. 

The drops become incredibly frustrating, but he still does the one thing you need to somewhere in your receiving core to do and he does it at a top of the league level -- get open. This is likely a 15+ yard chunk of Kenny reads out C2 and confirms it post snap. If you pause right as he hits his hitch, DJ is breaking wide open in the MOF and Kenny is staring down Chase. That's where Ben wouldn't throw, it's where Trubisky couldn't see, but is where (we hope) Kenny takes advantage. 

I don't cut up stuff so I resort to stealing twitter clips, but there are more shots like this too in the second half. It's why I have always been okay with DJs drops, provided we have a QB who can take advantage. In the past he would make up drops with a 3 yard slant. Now he can do it with a 15 yard dig. 

Re Pickens: I think he was meant to be the first look. We have seen that on Canada's second and long half rolls, but he has usually had it come from and out in the slot. I don't really get this though -- that's a long throw and the type of thing pick 6's are made of. Maybe that route was supposed to pull up the defender and DJ was meant to angle across the field higher and get behind (making the corner player GP or get beat deep), but that's a really long run. Kinda feels like it was a throw away outlet, but that leaves a 2 man route winning against 5. I just didn't get it. 

Maybe the way Kenny stared down one (covered) route and Pickens sat as an outlet this was just a "damned the torpedoes" kinda moment where they called a shot to Chase. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I'm gonna guess there is more to the story here.....but if that's true it will severely damage my perception of Mike Tomlin as someone to lead a team through a rebuild. I will not trust his judgment.

You don't go with a vet to shrink your options and your playbook. It would be absolutely baffling if playing the rookie -- the guy he was trying to avoid playing -- opened up your offense and the way you call it. 

What I’ve heard through the grapevine: it was more about OL gelling and running game going than actual QB play.  I’m not buying for one minute that he intended to sit Pickett all year. I don’t think Mitch was banned from audibling, rather it was a pre done ‘kill’ call Mitch was given based on shell vs Kenny having the ability to go to a ‘b’ play before the ‘kill’ call.