State of the Steelers

warfelg

19 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Trading for Simmons would be good but we Sustain would make our current Safeties way better whereas Simmons doesn't make our CBs better. A tandem or squadron of CBs like Sustain, JPJ, and (insert names) would make our secondary way better.

That comes at the contrast of opportunity cost though.  Simmons and Minkah playing 2 high or single high switching is better than the current Kazee/Neal rotation, and comes at the cost of a 2nd round pick.

Surtain undoubtedly make the secondary MUCH better, but the reports are Denver wants 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.  The cost there is just so high for that improvement that it’s almost not worth it because of all the other issues we have that need fixed.

Edited by warfelg

26 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That comes at the contrast of opportunity cost though.  Simmons and Minkah playing 2 high or single high switching is better than the current Kazee/Neal rotation, and comes at the cost of a 2nd round pick.

Surtain undoubtedly make the secondary MUCH better, but the reports are Denver wants 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.  The cost there is just so high for that improvement that it’s almost not worth it because of all the other issues we have that need fixed.

I'd give them '24 1st, '25 1st, '24 3rd. He still needs a contract next season so that has to be factored in the bargaining. 

How many CBs have we failed to develop? Here is a 23 year old pro bowl caliber CB who you can add to the current secondary which will level up the other players significantly.

Just now, armsteeld said:

I'd give them '24 1st, '25 1st, '24 3rd. He still needs a contract next season so that has to be factored in the bargaining. 

How many CBs have we failed to develop? Here is a 23 year old pro bowl caliber CB who you can add to the current secondary which will level up the other players significantly.

I don’t disagree with the number of guys we’ve failed to develop but at the same time giving up 2 1sts and the contract is just not something I’d be willing to do with the potential of looking at QB in 2025 being on the table (along with OL, DL, WR, S, ILB needs).

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

I don’t disagree with the number of guys we’ve failed to develop but at the same time giving up 2 1sts and the contract is just not something I’d be willing to do with the potential of looking at QB in 2025 being on the table (along with OL, DL, WR, S, ILB needs).

Based on KP's play/production, I think QB should be addressed rather than resigning Kenny to a massive contract.

4 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Based on KP's play/production, I think QB should be addressed rather than resigning Kenny to a massive contract.

So trading away a ‘24 and ‘25 1st hinders that from happening.

I’d rather trade a 2nd for Donte Jackson (or even Jaylon Johnson) than 2 1sts+ for Surtain with things like that handing around.  I just think giving up what Denver wants for Surtain isn’t worth it for a team as far away as we are.  

Adoree’ Jackson is someone we had interest in when he was unexpectedly cut by Tenn and seems to be on the block for NYG now that I would kick the tires on.

Not a CB but Amani Hooker seems to be on the market and we were really close to signing him last offseason and I would take that shot.

Jalen Mills as a NCB/S is another move I would make a call on.  He has a little of that Cam Sutton positional flexibility in a different way.

Those are all moves that would cost less than Surtain, have a positive impact (acknowledged not as big), and keep our future in tact.

Edited by warfelg

Just now, warfelg said:

So trading away a ‘24 and ‘25 1st hinders that from happening.

I’d rather trade a 2nd for Donte Jackson (or even Jaylon Johnson) than 2 1sts+ for Surtain with things like that handing around.  I just think giving up what Denver wants for Surtain isn’t worth it for a team as far away as we are.  

You get what you pay for. Surtain is elite. Haven't kept up with Jackson and Johnson but Surtain has always been an exceptional player & student of the game. He can match up with ANY WR in the NFL whereas I don't see the other two doing that.

Draft picks are a roll of the dice no matter how much scouting you put into a player. I look at Surtain as gold and draft picks as promissory notes.

5 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

You get what you pay for. Surtain is elite. Haven't kept up with Jackson and Johnson but Surtain has always been an exceptional player & student of the game. He can match up with ANY WR in the NFL whereas I don't see the other two doing that.

Draft picks are a roll of the dice no matter how much scouting you put into a player. I look at Surtain as gold and draft picks as promissory notes.

I get that.  I’m just not comfortable paying the reported 4 picks they want and the contract.  I think it’s too much for a team on the fringe of playoffs rather than on the fringe of a SB.

To me the picks isn’t about having multiple - I’ve been on the wagon for a while I want to accumulate picks, build the line and skill, that way we can trade away 3-4 1sts for a stud QB when the time comes.

EDIT:

Those two guys are easy upgrades on PP and Wallace IMO.  They aren’t Surtain good for sure.  But if you bring in one of those guys and play JPJ more our secondary would be in a much better place.  D

Edited by warfelg

PFF Mock:

1-23 :: Emeka Egbuka WR OSU

2-55 :: Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia

3-87 :: Nazir Stackhouse IDL Georgia

PFN Mock:

I did make a trade, lets see if people know what I did:

1-25 :: Nate Wiggins CB Clemson

2-54 :: Jaylan Ford LB Texas

3-88 :: Kris Jenkins DT Michigan

3-89 :: Johnny Wilson WR FSU

4-108 :: Terrian Arnold CB/S Alabama

4-119 :: McKinney Jackson NT TA&M

6-184 :: Kiran Amegabjie IOL Yale

7-125 :: Payton Wilson LB NCSt

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Yea that’s too high…plus you have to pay him this offseason…it’s not like Minkah where you got him cheap cap wise before paying him.

Id do 24 1st and a 3rd in 25 for him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, armsteeld said:

elite CB is worth it and if we trade all those picks for him, tomlin will have no choice but to play him. Having RD1 picks seems useless if the players don't play that much or at all (such as this year)