State of the Steelers

warfelg

They still have 2 massive holes on the OL…1 and probably 2 at WR, need DL depth and some secondary depth(at least).

Shouldve been more aggressive…I understand it’s a transition year but still, you could’ve got some more pieces for the incoming rookie QB in 2025.

29 minutes ago, AFF said:

They still have 2 massive holes on the OL…1 and probably 2 at WR, need DL depth and some secondary depth(at least).

Shouldve been more aggressive…I understand it’s a transition year but still, you could’ve got some more pieces for the incoming rookie QB in 2025.

There have been some outlandish contracts, maybe they just don’t feel it’s worth it to overpay so much. But then again they signed two special teamers to 3 mill per year contracts. So, I don’t know how to feel, I’ve liked the moves so far but we definitely need more of them.

The receiver position is now scary thin, and I hope they are not done at corner. Still need to get stronger up the middle though, as, outside of ILB, they still need SS, DT and OC upgrades. They need to be significantly faster outside and much stouter up the middle from last year IMO.

I’d go slot receiver in FA and speed receiver in the draft, and I’d stay away from the shrimps. We have Austin already.

Updated wish list

WR: Mike Williams, Tyler Boyd, Josh Reynolds KJ Osborn

OT: I really do not want to sign a FA here. This should be what our 1st round pick is spent on imo

Center: Connor Williams, Brian Allen

CB: Snead, Xavien Howard, Kendall Fuller, Kristian Fulton, 

S: Kam Curl, Justin Simmons, Julian Blackmon, Jayron Kearse 

• Like 1

Jalen Guyton is the WR the Steelers need to sign in free agency. Listed at 6'1 212 with 4.35 speed, Guyton is an excellent deep threat to take the top off defenses. He also has excellent hands and runs good routes. 

Check out his highlights on YouTube to verify his strengths.

Just a quick view of who's available, and some thoughts that may calm some on the ledge:

WR - Tyler Boyd, Michael Thomas, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Josh Reynolds

As I sit back at that MVS might be my top choice.  He's a guy who's got rings, been around 2 great QB's, and despite the drops issues is a solid #2 option since he can get open deep.  I think he's a WR2 that if you draft his replacement you don't feel bad about signing him in the first place.

OL - Tyron Smith, Connor Williams, Trenton Brown, Brian Allen, Bradley Bozeman, Dalton Risner, Halapoulivaati Vaitai

Ok, so hear me out on this, I would go Tyron Smith if he's willing to play RT.  Because he's going to get hurt in season, so it allows us to draft RT in RD3/4 and feel like they will get snaps in season.  Next up, I think I would go Dalton Risner here.  He's played really good the last two years and he's been durable.  Yea he's not a C, but that's where I would say slide Daniels over.  The last two years, our G pickups have been a little later in the second run of FA so I wonder if that's in play again.

DL - Arik Armstead, DJ Reader, Tim Settle, Solomon Thomas

I think this is where Kahn knows that the future is more important than the now.  So I would be willing to bet the second wave, which could include Settle and Thomas, is where he wants to go.  We should want the more rotational guy who you know what you are getting, so as a rookie comes up and takes more snaps it's not a big deal.  I think this year might be Ogunjobi's last year here as he is 30, but also next year the cap savings is more substantial.

CB - Adoree' Jackson, Kendall Fuller, Avonte Maddox

I think there's still some quality here, especially these three as more slot guys.  Again another spot I feel that if you do get Fuller in a second wave, then having Jackson and Fuller join JPJ means drafting another CB in RD1-3 isn't off the table, but you don't feel the rush to start them.

SS - Justin Simmons, Vonn Bell, Kamren Curl, Quandre Diggs

There's still some depth here, but I think after than McKinney contract there's some need to let this market reset itself some.  I think Simmons would be nice, but Curl is who I really want.  Curl is still young, and getting him takes a draft pick possibility for long term development off the table.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

WR - Tyler Boyd, Michael Thomas, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Josh Reynolds

How about some under-the-radar guys like K.J. Osborn, Quez Watkins, Equanimeous St. Brown, Donovan Peoples Jones, or Laviska Shenault??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

How about some under-the-radar guys like K.J. Osborn, Quez Watkins, Equanimeous St. Brown, Donovan Peoples Jones, or Laviska Shenault??

If you weigh whether to pay big money or spend big draft capital on WR, I prefer the latter

10 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I would feel too much pressure to start a rookie early with them in place.