State of the Steelers

warfelg

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

You don't know what his contract looks like yet.  Let's not jump the gun.

Bost I could find was that it's 4/$80MM/$55MM GTD, out after two years.  That means some massive cap hits the next two seasons.

For the record that's $2MM overall more than Johnson and $4MM guaranteed more than Johnson while also being 3 years older than Johnson.

Edited by warfelg

44 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Bost I could find was that it's 4/$80MM/$55MM GTD, out after two years.  That means some massive cap hits the next two seasons.

For the record that's $2MM overall more than Johnson and $4MM guaranteed more than Johnson while also being 3 years older than Johnson.

I bet Kahn did not see the value in handing out a contract like that to a CB when we already have a lockdown CB1 on a rookie deal. Because the draft compensation is peanuts. 

Chiefs screwed themselves imo. Should have just let him walk and taken the 2025 3rd round comp pick. Tagging Snead tied up all that cap during the free agency period and for what?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I bet Kahn did not see the value in handing out a contract like that to a CB when we already have a lockdown CB1 on a rookie deal. Because the draft compensation is peanuts. 

Chiefs screwed themselves imo. Should have just let him walk and taken the 2025 3rd round comp pick. Tagging Snead tied up all that cap during the free agency period and for what?

They basically rolled the comp pick forward a year and gave themselves rollover cap for next year.  They need to work out extensions with McDuffie, Humphery, Smith, and Bolton in the next two years.  That's $20MM they can now roll over.

Also, it's not on Spotrak yet because it's not an official deal, but if done there's a chance that the Titans starting corners in 2025 account for $40MM on the cap.  Add in Hooker, Landry, and Simmons and those 5 would account for 40% of the cap.

They better hope Will Levis is who people hyped him to be.  Because just toss in Ridley and Cushenberry and they have 7 guys for 55% of the cap.

Edited by warfelg

A) Would have loved to do this deal for us (change next years 3rd to this years 3 or 4th though) 

2) this is the style of comp package I would send for Aiyuk (see above about 2024 picks) 

C) I continue to think we really messed up the DJ trade value. Badly. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

@Dcash4 I’ve been wondering if the DJ to Chiefs talks involved Snead at all.

I feel like for what they got they might have given up Snead for DJ straight up..

Reports are we never inquired on Snead.  Sounds like Tennessee was last minute, but Vikings, Colts, and Patriots were most involved.

17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

A) Would have loved to do this deal for us (change next years 3rd to this years 3 or 4th though) 

2) this is the style of comp package I would send for Aiyuk (see above about 2024 picks) 

C) I continue to think we really messed up the DJ trade value. Badly. 

I would’ve done this for Sneed too.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

@Dcash4 I’ve been wondering if the DJ to Chiefs talks involved Snead at all.

I feel like for what they got they might have given up Snead for DJ straight up..

Yeah, I’d like to know what it would have looked like in a trade with the Chiefs. Maybe they just flat out didn’t wanna pay the money? But for what was basically a player swap for a corner with the Panthers, it’s hard to watch a team that was interested in DJ trade a far superior CB for that package. 

It just continues for me what feels like a very scattered off-season…not a well thought out one. 

35 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Crazy to me Justin Simmons, A'doree Jackson, Rock Ya-Sin, and Avonte Maddox are still available.

Agreed.  I thought the Steelers really liked Adoree Jackson in previous years too.  Really thought he would be a target.

Surprised there hasn’t been more noise with Gallup as well. 

10 hours ago, warfelg said:

Reports are we never inquired on Snead.  Sounds like Tennessee was last minute, but Vikings, Colts, and Patriots were most involved.

they missed out iMO, Sneed and Porter would be the best CB duo in the league

what will Howard cost? Thats  plan B for CB unless they really plan on CB in RD1 or RD2?  Maybe RD3?   

Aiyuk better happen for a decent pick, but will it? Courtland Sutton seems like a good value too, maybe Wilson can help this happen. 

Khan seems to make some decent moves, then miss out on some. Sneed I would say was a lost opportunity to really make the secondary much better. He can play the slot as well, and is elite all around CB. In stead we toss away our previous so called WR1 for a CB that had an ACL injury history.  It doesn't add up on paper right now anyways, but see how the season plays out.

Edited by 3rivers

10 hours ago, AFF said:

The contract for Sneed was reasonable considering the market.

I just can't see why a team wouldn't offer a RD3 pick (next year at that) for what was possibly the best CB last year.   Trade dionte, replace his cap with Sneed's contract to be and have the best CB duo probably for years

17 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I just can't see why a team wouldn't offer a RD3 pick (next year at that) for what was possibly the best CB last year.   Trade dionte, replace his cap with Sneed's contract to be and have the best CB duo probably for years

Sneers deal was 4/$76 mill….however $55 mill was guaranteed.

Im guessing the contract would’ve broke down the way the Steelers tend to do low contracts with low year 1 cap hits then it rises up alot…something like $13 mill this year then 3 straight years of $21 mill cap hits.

Trading DJ would’ve saved $10 mill.

I don’t know if DJ was ever offered to the Chiefs…however I woulda took a mid round pick for DJ and then just simply swapped the deal for Sneed(if it was on the table)

• Like 1