State of the Steelers

warfelg

9 minutes ago, AFF said:

How many times do I have to explain this and I genuinely mean that in a non - Lebeau way….

The Steelers have holes everywhere.

I simply would rather have a YOUNGER player for a LONGER period of time using Heywards $$$$….thats it.

I think holding onto a expensive declining asset in Heyward isn’t the best thing for the Steelers over the course of the next few years…now do you understand my point?

The Steelers have holes everywhere so to plug one you want to create another one?!? Actually a bigger one that already exists?

Again if you wanted cap space to get younger cutting your best DL isn’t it even if he is 35 and $22MM against the cap. Larry Ogunjobi is the better cut for something like that. He gave you nothing, is 30, and could be replaced by Benton easily. 

https://x.com/farabaughfb/status/1772010849508511889?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

What I’ve gathered from Tomlin’s quotes today is that there will be a “competition” at QB during TC, but it will take Fields looking clearly better than Russ for him to win the job. But I do think we will see Fields get plenty of first team reps during camp and possibly a quarter or two with the starters during one of the preseason games. 

Same plan they had with Kenny, but with Fields instead. Huge W

• Like 1

Just now, warfelg said:

At the same time he ain’t wrong. As it stands today who else would play RT to put Jones at LT?

Today, no one. In a month…hopefully Amarius Mims. I just don’t like how obviously comfortable they are with Dan Moore starting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/farabaughfb/status/1772010849508511889?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

What I’ve gathered from Tomlin’s quotes today is that there will be a “competition” at QB during TC, but it will take Fields looking clearly better than Russ for him to win the job. But I do think we will see Fields get plenty of first team reps during camp and possibly a quarter or two with the starters during one of the preseason games. 

Same plan they had with Kenny, but with Fields instead. Huge W

His comments on paper about Kenny seemed tame but man they were biting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Today, no one. In a month…hopefully Amarius Mims. I just don’t like how obviously comfortable they are with Dan Moore starting. 

So this may be one of the few times you hear me say this about Tomlin: that was word salad. My best Tomlin to coach to fan translation is “offseason isn’t over so how do I know my lineup.”

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Both are massive needs.     We currently have zero centers (unless you count Daniels) and one proven WR.   I dont think draft priority should be given to either one TBH.   However, I dont like most of our options at 20 for the positions, so Id prefer we trade down....but that pretty much never happens with us.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The Steelers have holes everywhere so to plug one you want to create another one?!? Actually a bigger one that already exists?

Again if you wanted cap space to get younger cutting your best DL isn’t it even if he is 35 and $22MM against the cap. Larry Ogunjobi is the better cut for something like that. He gave you nothing, is 30, and could be replaced by Benton easily. 

I know you’d be swapping a hole for a hole *giggity*

Again….i just want a younger player for a longer period of time…that’s it.

You only save $4 mill if you cut Ogunjobi right now…I think it’s closer to $9 mill if you designate him a June 1st cut but IIRC you can’t use that $$$ saved til then.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, AFF said:

I know you’d be swapping a hole for a hole *giggity*

Again….i just want a younger player for a longer period of time…that’s it.

You only save $4 mill if you cut Ogunjobi right now…I think it’s closer to $9 mill if you designate him a June 1st cut but IIRC you can’t use that $$$ saved til then.

And that’s fine but Cam was literally our best DL. With Ogunjobi I can legit say you could replace him with Benton, get better, use the cap space that is there (without cutting Cam) for Sneed, Ogunjobi’s savings (for the most part) takes care of the rookie class as post June 1st, 2 year no new money (aka creating void years) deal for Cam makes in season cap room. 

There. Now you get younger like you want and we don’t lose our still best DL player. 

Oh as for the hole for a hole thing. 1 - touché on that. 2 - IMO Benton is an upgrade on Larry O, but still not what a declining Heyward is. So doing that is a net positive IMO but still need another long term player. 

Edited by warfelg