State of the Steelers

warfelg

7 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I'm gonna be honest.I don't think Quez Watkins or Van Jefferson really does a whole lot to address the position. Neither one of them were very reliable catching the football last year.

I would argue this means Tyler.Boyd is not coming to Pittsburgh and I would say Josh Reynolds is not either.So I would be really surprised if we don't draft a wide receiver in one of the first two rounds

Yeah, we pretty much have a #1 or #2 WR, with Pickens, and a bunch of #3-5 WRs behind him. I think they either add a top talent in FA/trade/Draft, and there aren’t really any available via FA at the moment. We still need a starter. These guys we’ve signed will be competing with each other for the 3-5 spots. 

::EDIT:: exactly as @VigilantZombie so eloquently put it a couple minutes before my post

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Good.  That would be a waste of a 1st Rd pick.  Not saying he isn't worth one; I'm saying we can likely get a similar projected talent in the 2nd/3rd Rd this year, with as deep as this class is.  Especially if we trade down with Detroit--their 1.29 + 3.73 for our 1.20 + 6.195--then make another trade with two of our, now, 3 x 3rds, up into the 2nd, giving us 2 x 2nds.  We could easily get a top 3 OC, a top 10 WR, and a RT.  All should be day one starters with 3 picks in the top 51, no??

I’m sorry, but I could not disagree with this more. There are 3 receivers in the draft with the ceiling of Aiyuk and they are all going top 10.

• Like 1

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

I’m sorry, but I could not disagree with this more. There are 3 receivers in the draft with the ceiling of Aiyuk and they are all going top 10.

And will assuredly not be as good as Aiyuk in their rookie years. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, 43M said:

Obviously could be true....or could be because our depth chart behind Pickens are guys that would probably struggle making most teams active rosters.

They haven't even really given CAIII a real shot yet.    He may suck, but again....we have nothing outside of ONE guy.   

I wish I had the snap counts at my disposal but I’m pretty sure he took a majority of DJs snaps while he was on the IR this past year. 

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=PIT&year=2023

pretty much did. 

Edited by warfelg

4 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/bepryor/status/1772320809895223748?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

And Aiyuk quick to push back on Lynch’s quote

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Yea. He sounds like a guy done with SF. 

Hopefully he runs himself out of town and they have to lower their asking price. If we could snag him for a 2nd+, instead of a 1st, I’m all over that.

As much as it would be nice to get Tyler Boyd.I don't think he's worth the money of a number one or a number 2 guy.I would say that he is one of the better swat receivers in the league but I wouldn't be paying him for more than that. When it comes to brandon aiyuk, I don't know what is true and what is not about the asking price?Should there have been real conversations?But what I do know is based on the speculated prices There is no way he plays here.

So unless you can otherwise figure out a way to acquire Stefon Diggs Or someone like that.The draft is really the only option I see. 

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, we pretty much have a #1 or #2 WR, with Pickens, and a bunch of #3-5 WRs behind him. I think they either add a top talent in FA/trade/Draft, and there aren’t really any available via FA at the moment. We still need a starter. These guys we’ve signed will be competing with each other for the 3-5 spots. 

::EDIT:: exactly as @VigilantZombie so eloquently put it a couple minutes before my post

I think either Aiyuk or Rome Odunze will end up on the Steelers.

10 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

You are welcome to disagree, but based on NFL.com projections, there are 8 guys graded 6.35 or higher "Will Eventually Be Plus Starter"

https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/wr/all-colleges/

Aiyuk was graded as 6.38 "Will Eventually Be Plus Starter"

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brandon-aiyuk/32004149-5918-9231-4476-63b611051b08

So I'm not alone believing that there are, as I stated "...we can likely get a similar projected talent in the 2nd/3rd Rd this year..."

1 minute ago, Ward4HOF said:

You are welcome to disagree, but based on NFL.com projections, there are 8 guys graded 6.35 or higher "Will Eventually Be Plus Starter"

https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/wr/all-colleges/

Aiyuk was graded as 6.38 "Will Eventually Be Plus Starter"

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brandon-aiyuk/32004149-5918-9231-4476-63b611051b08

So I'm not alone believing that there are, as I stated "...we can likely get a similar projected talent in the 2nd/3rd Rd this year..."

To be fair the word eventually is not a luxury we have.

Just now, VigilantZombie said:

To be fair the word eventually is not a luxury we have.

To be fair, we don't have a starting OC on our Roster, and the top 3 will be gone by 2.51, so I'll take the potentially slightly lower talent for one year, over having Herbig start at OC.