State of the Steelers

warfelg

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

we are acting like we are flush against the cap and we aren't.

Why? Because we didn’t pick up an option and aren’t extending a guy you want to see extended?

3 minutes ago, AFF said:

The thought that people are against extending a young solid starter at a position group that’s been a problem for years doesn’t make any sense to me.

Who’s saying they’re against extending young solid starters?

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Save money if they want to pay Pickens or if they decide to sign Fields/Wilson to a long term deal.  I would rather keep the line together but those are possible reasons for the salary move.

same here. 

how about the estimated $100M they will have in cap space anyways, isn't that enough to keep Daniels? This seems like letting the line slide a bit , not what I wanted to happen especially if the capspace is there?  

what would you expect cap hits to be for Wilson and GP?

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Something I would also not rule out: James Daniels might be the trade bate in a player for a WR. If he is, it makes sense not to work out something that would forward a bunch of cap hit into this year.

good point but again, this takes  away from the OL, not a good idea  as they just finally appeared to get that OL  taken care of. 

58 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Personally I feel like this is the old way of the Steelers operating. Daniels isn't a irreplaceable star (IMO) that you need to lock in, and if you had the quick conversation and the figure was too high, yea let him hit FA. If someone wants to pay him that, then good for him. If he finds out no one else values him that high, then maybe he comes back.

colbert steelers way I can see. Better would be to have a  good player like Foster or of  course DDC ready to go, but thats not the case here.  I was expecting DL early in the 25 draft but what is the OG class like?

1 hour ago, AFF said:

Exactly.

just when I thought the OL was going to be set, it appears it will be a 1 year wonder at best. 

7 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

just when I thought the OL was going to be set, it appears it will be a 1 year wonder at best. 

3/5 OL positions were drafted in 2 years out of rounds 1&2. 1 OG position isn’t going to make or brake you. 

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Why? Because we didn’t pick up an option and aren’t extending a guy you want to see extended?

Sure. Because we are here talking about positional value Vs cost on a team flush with financial flexibility. 

Saying no to extending a good starter in his prime because his market rate is too expensive hits a little different when it would account for 16-18% of the allotted cap space you have available and less than 7% of total cap . 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

Sure. Because we are here talking about positional value Vs cost on a team flush with financial flexibility. 

Saying no to extending a good starter in his prime because his market rate is too expensive hits a little different when it would account for 16-18% of the allotted cap space you have available and less than 7% of total cap . 

So having cap space makes it ok to overpay? I associate that with bad FO operations. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

3/5 OL positions were drafted in 2 years out of rounds 1&2. 1 OG position isn’t going to make or brake you. 

depends on who they get to replace him with.  I have no problem replacing him with Foster or DDC,  but because of recent history, I am still skeptical of what could happen . It's trending in the right direction, but will it continue or take a step back. 

If they are high on players they have, maybe the trade is what will happen.  Daniels versatility at C is also something this team needs, so it just made sense to me to keep him and be set once and for all.  

Even if wilson has a great season, at his age, what would you expect his new deal to be.  GP as well, what would you expect for his new deal? 

Maybe they get Connor Williams to replace Daniels and be set at OG as well as depth at C. This makes more sense if CW has recovered from injury. Daniels has been reliable though, so thats worth a bit in itself

So having cap space makes it ok to overpay? I associate that with bad FO operations. 

Who said anything about overpaying? We are assuming market rate for Daniels and it was market rate for Najee. Your changing lanes here…

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Who said anything about overpaying? We are assuming market rate for Daniels and it was market rate for Najee. Your changing lanes here…

so currently, what would the numerical value be instead of english value/overpaying  designation?

there have been some OG's getting paid , so what will Daniels expect and what is overpaying at this stage?

10 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I mean,

15 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

because his market rate is too expensive

you literally just said “because his market rate is too expensive.” 

But whatever. You got your argument out is a moment of me agreeing with you because you quoted 5% of a post. So I’m out on this convo. 

26 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

depends on who they get to replace him with.  I have no problem replacing him with Foster or DDC,  but because of recent history, I am still skeptical of what could happen . It's trending in the right direction, but will it continue or take a step back. 

If they are high on players they have, maybe the trade is what will happen.  Daniels versatility at C is also something this team needs, so it just made sense to me to keep him and be set once and for all.  

Even if wilson has a great season, at his age, what would you expect his new deal to be.  GP as well, what would you expect for his new deal? 

Maybe they get Connor Williams to replace Daniels and be set at OG as well as depth at C. This makes more sense if CW has recovered from injury. Daniels has been reliable though, so thats worth a bit in itself

I mean just in this positional value of OG isn’t high. You can find good ones in the draft and at value. 

If Wilson has a good year I could see a $30-35MM AAV deal. I think Pickens is in line for a $38MM AAV deal. And don’t forget Muth likely a $15MM AAV deal. 

32 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I mean,

you literally just said “because his market rate is too expensive.” 

But whatever. You got your argument out is a moment of me agreeing with you because you quoted 5% of a post. So I’m out on this convo. 

Hilarious as this is, you might wanna check context of the entire thing before you do the "literally said" part. Especially if you are going to couple that with some bit about only going at 5% of a post. 

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I mean just in this positional value of OG isn’t high. You can find good ones in the draft and at value. 

If Wilson has a good year I could see a $30-35MM AAV deal. I think Pickens is in line for a $38MM AAV deal. And don’t forget Muth likely a $15MM AAV deal. 

Muth  I doubt they bring back unless he really has a great season.

Wilson I can see min 40M but hope I am wrong and you are right of course. 

GP thought, I never thought would get that much  but wait and see. No doubt he could be top WR with a decent QB, no doubt at all. He is that type of player, just had garbage for oC and QB. 

Hey my question was on Locked on this past Wednesday. 

what was the question? I can't listen to saunders that much,  hope you understand  :ph34r: I don't care for most of the media, just rumours and BS most of the time