State of the Steelers

warfelg

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

thats what I thought, these vets that were elite will wait for the best contract. They might also not get near what they expect,  but thats the nfl. 

if he is healthy, maybe he isn't done.  Not what he was, but not done either.   With Aiyuk holding out, see how the WR trade rumours get going again 

I don’t see how Thomas adds anything to this current WR corps. Aiyuk will be too expensive of a contract IMO. He will get overpaid. I am more intrigued by the prospects of Sutton and given his rapport with Wilson. They do well together in the red zone.

43 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It takes a real POS to “call out” legitimately the most respected player over the last decade for the team you cover. Cam is a six time Walter Peyton MOTY award nominee and you’re a fat worthless blob and he wants to call Cam out and accuse him of being a liar. I mean just come on.. I wonder if MM would have said this in Cam’s presence 🤔

Sorry rant over. I hate that dude.

Every day there is a new article about how impressed the team is with Arthur Smith. 

This isn't meant as a dis of Arthur Smith, but his 5 years of running an offense has only produced 1 ranking inside the top 10 of scoring and yardage. His best ranking in yardage in ATL was 17 and points was 15. 

This is just what it's like to have an adult in the room. Our players would probably retire for fear of knowledge if they ever met Kyle Shanahan. 

The hiring of Matt Canada and his allowance to run the offense for 3 years is going to go down as one of - if not THE - worst decisions in Steelers history. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, rlon said:

I don’t see how Thomas adds anything to this current WR corps. Aiyuk will be too expensive of a contract IMO. He will get overpaid. I am more intrigued by the prospects of Sutton and given his rapport with Wilson. They do well together in the red zone.

Thomas would have to stay healthy and be a good teammate . Then if that happens, he has to accept not getting 120+ passes.  He would be a good WR2 IMO and Wilson can be the slot and move around. Most important, is depth with quality players.  WR as it is could be seen as lacking this, and if the injuries occur at WR, what do we have with the current roster?

I actually am not on board with all the draft capital for a WR1 as others. The draft seems to get several quality WR's and with a legit QB for a change (as well as the steelers ability to draft WR's) , this team could focus elsewhere. 

CB has been a problem over the years, so why not get a proven vet there  (UFA or trade) . 

Agree Aiyuk will be costly, but would be worth it  in most cases.  He can't play DL or CB though, and those 2 positions could be what costs the team more eventually. Never know with injuries,  and how much the WR's will get from the smith offence. 

Lately,  the idea of  Howard, Thomas/trade for Sutton) and getting Golden signed or another proven vet looks to be the best way to complete the roster reasonably.  Howard and Thomas being on prove it deals appears to be a good idea, but never know with that either, some risk there. 

What other quality vet Edge defenders are out there if Golden leaves?  

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

I am shocked. SHOCKED!! that a media person will say something just for clicks.

giphy.gif

thats what the web has turned into. if they could only remove clicks pay and advertising 

40 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Every day there is a new article about how impressed the team is with Arthur Smith. 

I got to the point after a few years, that followig the pitt media is a waste of time. Lots of rumours and hopes and hype, just lame overall, but thats the modern world press from what I see.  

Smith has the OL, RB's and possibly the QB and TE's.  No reason to not do well, but if Meyer can't get the OL going, we know smith has connections to Munchak  :$

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

This isn't meant as a dis of Arthur Smith, but his 5 years of running an offense has only produced 1 ranking inside the top 10 of scoring and yardage. His best ranking in yardage in ATL was 17 and points was 15. 

This is just what it's like to have an adult in the room. Our players would probably retire for fear of knowledge if they ever met Kyle Shanahan. 

The hiring of Matt Canada and his allowance to run the offense for 3 years is going to go down as one of - if not THE - worst decisions in Steelers history. 

My guess is it has more to do with his structure and attention to detail than it does his playbook. They haven't been used to that. Of course, the OL and RBs have to be pleased with a Run Heavy Offense. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

When they produce on the field I will listen to the articles.  Those are puff pieces that come out every OTAs.  Like Bettis trimming down.

15 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

My guess is it has more to do with his structure and attention to detail than it does his playbook. They haven't been used to that. Of course, the OL and RBs have to be pleased with a Run Heavy Offense. 

I like the comments that Smith and the Qbs are taking time to explain WHY certain routes are run in combination with others.  Sounds like that was not happening with Canada

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

My guess is it has more to do with his structure and attention to detail than it does his playbook. They haven't been used to that

I definitely agree with you, it's just such a tragic thing to say about what has largely been such an average producing coach. Average is light years ahead of what we had....and that's hilariously upsetting that an organization and staff let that go on that long. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I like the comments that Smith and the Qbs are taking time to explain WHY certain routes are run in combination with others.  Sounds like that was not happening with Canada

There was also a story about Zach Azzanni lighting into GP behind closed doors for catching and not all out sprinting on day 1 of OTA’s, which is why the video of the next day showed him running all the way to the next endzone and back. Sounds like him and Tom Arth have been really working cohesively and well.

https://steelersnow.com/patrick-queen-turned-down-more-money-to-sign-with-steelers/

when UFA was about to happen, Queen was a player I was hoping they would sign, becaus eof ILB need . After reading this, they appear to also have a player with the right mindset.  He wants to win   and turned down several offers for more $ to sign here. 

dupree OTOH , a former colbert RD1 pick ,  went to a rebuild for more $ 

The speed at ILB when Queen and Wilson are out there will be much different than what we are used to. How much will it help the defence though?

On 5/23/2024 at 12:38 PM, jebrick said:

When they produce on the field I will listen to the articles.  Those are puff pieces that come out every OTAs.  Like Bettis trimming down.

The bar is obviously low based on what we had. Someone needs to be held accountable, if problems persist, starting with the Matt Canada decision and looking out from there. Is it Tomlin? Because, what decisions is he the worst at? Challenges, schematic, personnel or coaching? Long list, but he’s great with people and in front of the press…he’d be the perfect peer counselor. Tomlin basically needs to be kept to limited decisions and on a short leash IMO. They are blinded by him being the face of the franchise, and I have much more faith in our GM and understaff administratively than our head coach. But, most fans don’t get it…still.