The Other Games Thread Week 6

Iron_man

This week we start in Chicago as the Commanders come to town. Can Fields hold off and the bears hold off Wentz and the Commanders?

Thursday Night: Commanders vs Bears.
Sunday Early: Ravens vs Giants, Patriots vs Browns, Bengals vs Saints, Jaguars vs Colts, Jets vs Packers, Bucs vs Steelers, 9ers vs Falcons, Vikings vs Dolphins.   
Sunday Late: Bills vs Chiefs, Panthers vs Rams, Cardinals vs Seahawks.
Sunday Night: Cowboys vs Eagles.
Monday Night: Broncos vs Chargers.

Who ya got for Thursday? Which games do you plan to watch? For me I'm thinking I'll watch Thursday night just to see the train wreck that are these to teams. Our game obviously. Vikings vs Dolphins looks like an interesting one to me. Bills vs Chiefs should be explosive. Cowboys vs Eagles, Cooper rush has been hot with that defense vs the undefeated Eagles. Also probably gonna watch Broncos vs Chargers. 

As much as I believe in Mac, I can still see a scenario where Fields is incredibly successful as a Patriot (and has a higher ceiling than Mac) 

- He has a terrible OL and gets skittish, don't think that happens here

- He doesn't have a quick release but I think in the training wheels offense last year Josh McDaniels would have gotten that out of him already.. they would have had him making instant decisions

- He has even worse "weapons" than here

- Terrible coaching situation  

- He probably rushes for close to 500 yards and has a mixture of Mac's training wheels offense last year and Cam's rushing offense of two years ago 

Disclaimer: I wanted Fields over Mac in the draft and can acknowledge he's been pretty rough on the Bears so far.. but feel he got screwed with that situation. 

I completely disagree.

He is just what I thought he was, great college QB with his big arm and legs, that's it.  He has nothing above the shoulders when it comes to playing QB in the NFL. He is just like Lance.  I felt awful for the kid last night, the high expectations are going to crush him, when they turn on him. That might come in as soon as the 2023 draft.  Top choice and the Bama QB is sitting there!!!!!

IMO it has nothing to do with coaching. Well, if you want, it has something to do with game plan but no coaching can help him with his (head) game. His offense should be don't throw if you can help it or one read, than run.

Mac has it, Fields doesn't. It was so evident last night. The announcer did everything possible to not come out and say, WTF are you doing!!!!!

They even show the in cut and the guy is wide open and he looks and doesn't throw. He had no idea what to do in the pocket and no coach can teach that.

Just asking, in a NICE way🙂🙏.  Maybe you like the player (to much) and you are routing for him to succeed and you just can't see it? 🙂

Lets say it's the opposite with me.  I have admitted , I was dead wrong, when it came to  Tyquan Thornton.

You might have to do the same with Fields.

He was awful. Fields should thank his college OL (6 seconds pocket) for making him rich !!!!!!

• Like 1

@m haynes I won't necessarily try and convince you, I think he doesn't have much of a chance anymore because of his situation. What I can do is give you some of my thoughts about him

• Fields can throw some very accurate passes, especially deep ( that TD was great)
  • Fields has a rocket arm, he's more than capable of tight window throws that Mac can't do ( and has gotten intercepted trying) 
  • His arm and potential for accuracy are what I want in a prospect when I have confidence in my coaching staff. Last year I had all the confidence in the world in the coaches .. so I would want to give them the highest potential prospect at any position 
  • Fields has had issues with a lack of a quick release, that's coachable imo .. look at the offense the Patriots ran last year, it was all quick passes .. Josh would have had him throwing the ball in 2 seconds for an entire year to get him used to that. By now he would have been "fixed" in that regard 
  • Fields running ability has the potential to be top 3 in the league .. he isn't built as strong as Lamar so he can't take that kind of beating .. but you could easily have him rushing for 500-700 yards a year .. adding an element to the offense you wouldn't have with Mac ( even though I think Mac is much more athletic than he is given credit for) 
  • Toughness .. much like Mac .. he can take a beating and keep on pushing.. he's a high level competitor and that's what I want in my QB
  • His horrendous OL has messed up his timing and made him more skittish .. he's been pressured the 2nd most in the league over the over the last two years. The way I see it.. if you are going to invest in a young QB you need to do 2 things .. invest in your OL.. WR.. and RB. A young QB needs all three of those to not get ruined. Don't the Bears have a bunch of cap space? Why not add 2-3 OL who are above average.. they have one above average WR.. why didn't they spend draft picks on offense this year instead of 2 2nds on DB's? I understand wanting to get a better defense but you have a young QB.. fix your offense then worry about your defense. 

I love Mac a lot more than I expected I would

- He's a competitor

- He's much tougher than I thought, he has taken a beating and other than a 300 pound guy on his ankle.. has always gotten up 

- He doesn't have an arm like I would hope in my franchise QB... but I think he can make it work at a top 10 QB level with the right receivers and not taking huge risks

- He's smart, more often than not he makes the right decision.. we just need to figure out when he gets back if those gunslinger 50/50 throws were him or the coaching staff. Some of those throws were a bit too risky for my blood 

I like Mac a lot .. I think I mainly just think that I would also like Fields a lot if the Patriots drafted him like I wanted. Fields very likely would have had a season last year closer to Lawrence than Jones but by this year I think we would see a major improvement out of him. 

1 minute ago, Crimmage said:

@m haynes I won't necessarily try and convince you, I think he doesn't have much of a chance anymore because of his situation. What I can do is give you some of my thoughts about him

• Fields can throw some very accurate passes, especially deep ( that TD was great)
  • Fields has a rocket arm, he's more than capable of tight window throws that Mac can't do ( and has gotten intercepted trying) 
  • His arm and potential for accuracy are what I want in a prospect when I have confidence in my coaching staff. Last year I had all the confidence in the world in the coaches .. so I would want to give them the highest potential prospect at any position 
  • Fields has had issues with a lack of a quick release, that's coachable imo .. look at the offense the Patriots ran last year, it was all quick passes .. Josh would have had him throwing the ball in 2 seconds for an entire year to get him used to that. By now he would have been "fixed" in that regard 
  • Fields running ability has the potential to be top 3 in the league .. he isn't built as strong as Lamar so he can't take that kind of beating .. but you could easily have him rushing for 500-700 yards a year .. adding an element to the offense you wouldn't have with Mac ( even though I think Mac is much more athletic than he is given credit for) 
  • Toughness .. much like Mac .. he can take a beating and keep on pushing.. he's a high level competitor and that's what I want in my QB
  • His horrendous OL has messed up his timing and made him more skittish .. he's been pressured the 2nd most in the league over the over the last two years. The way I see it.. if you are going to invest in a young QB you need to do 2 things .. invest in your OL.. WR.. and RB. A young QB needs all three of those to not get ruined. Don't the Bears have a bunch of cap space? Why not add 2-3 OL who are above average.. they have one above average WR.. why didn't they spend draft picks on offense this year instead of 2 2nds on DB's? I understand wanting to get a better defense but you have a young QB.. fix your offense then worry about your defense. 

I love Mac a lot more than I expected I would

- He's a competitor

- He's much tougher than I thought, he has taken a beating and other than a 300 pound guy on his ankle.. has always gotten up 

- He doesn't have an arm like I would hope in my franchise QB... but I think he can make it work at a top 10 QB level with the right receivers and not taking huge risks

- He's smart, more often than not he makes the right decision.. we just need to figure out when he gets back if those gunslinger 50/50 throws were him or the coaching staff. Some of those throws were a bit too risky for my blood 

I like Mac a lot .. I think I mainly just think that I would also like Fields a lot if the Patriots drafted him like I wanted. Fields very likely would have had a season last year closer to Lawrence than Jones but by this year I think we would see a major improvement out of him. 

@Crimmage Well I'll stop here. Whats that saying, lets agree to disagree.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, m haynes said:

Mac has it, Fields doesn't. It was so evident last night. The announcer did everything possible to not come out and say, WTF are you doing!!!!!

I agree with that statement too. Fields was hard to watch. Coaching can only do so much.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:15 AM, Iron_man said:

I agree with that statement too. Fields was hard to watch. Coaching can only do so much.

Also it was hard to watch with the orange uniform!!!!   Who the heck thought that was a good choice with the only game on TV??????? The Bears black uniforms are iconic!!!!

• Like 1