Week 13 - Texans v THAT guy

ET80

1 hour ago, Blaze said:

I guess Lovie key card still works since he did his post game presser. I want to give him an early off season vacation. 

I’d usually question who would take over, but I’d be fine with crowdsourcing any sort of playcalls or decisions via Facebook Live or something.

It literally could not be any worse than it is now.

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I’d usually question who would take over, but I’d be fine with crowdsourcing any sort of playcalls or decisions via Facebook Live or something.

It literally could not be any worse than it is now.

I think you guys need to do what Detroit has done. Get a fireball HC and build in the trenches for 1-2 years, but find a bridge QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I think you guys need to do what Detroit has done. Get a fireball HC and build in the trenches for 1-2 years, but find a bridge QB.

I don’t think a bridge QB is going to placate the masses anymore - and Houston is done with these seasons, people are spending their sports budget on Astros stuff at a record pace (which is expected - why spend money on a sad and forgettable product when you potentially have the New England Patriots/Golden State Warriors of baseball in the same zip code?) 

This decision isn’t just a football decision - it’s a business decision. Fans don’t hate the Texans, they’re apathetic to the Texans (which is worse). They simply don’t care how the Texans choose to lose every week, we’ll just wait it out until Spring Training starts. 

I like what Detroit is doing, but I also look at what Cincinnati did - drafting a QB, improving a slight bit, taking a major offensive weapon to join that QB and watching the show take off - and I wonder why the Texans can’t follow THAT model. Sure - Bryce Young isn’t Joe Burrow, but is Young that bad to where you look elsewhere to bolster your unit? Is Young a top 5 talent in this draft? I personally think he’s considered “bad” or “not worthy of 1.1” because he isn’t 6’ 3” 225lbs - if he was, this would be a “be bad for Bryce” campaign, he’d be the unquestioned #1 pick. (And I started the season as a major detractor of Young going into the season - his actual play has convinced me otherwise).

As far as the coaching staff - I agree, find a fireball who ca galvanize both the locker room and the fanbase. My personal choice is 49ers DC (and former Texans Team Captain) DeMeco Ryans. Even if you forget the ties to the franchise, he’s got a 49ers defense playing at a white hot rate, scheming guys to get to the QB and working above and beyond injuries. Let him pick a staff that hopefully includes a Shanahan disciple as QB/OC that can groom this offense into what’s working in Miami and see where it goes. (Or, bring in Klint Kubiak as OC - another familiar name with a resume that actually deserves a shot).

Yesterday’s problem is indicative of the problem every week - no offense to speak of because you have QBs who are absolutely inept. Can I say for certain that Nico Collins, Brevin Jordan, Jordan Akins, Teagan Quitty aren’t good? Not really, they have been dealing with some below average QB play. Get ‘em a QB, THEN see what they can do.

• Like 4

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/12/05/scenes-from-deshaun-watson-return-to-houston-daily-cover

But what was most notable, and maybe symbolic of this weird Sunday, was what happened just to Haslam’s left. There stood McNair’s wife, Hannah. She was wearing purple shoes, as part of the NFL’s My Cause My Cleats campaign, emblazoned with the logos of the Houston Area Women’s Center, a facility serving local victims of sexual and domestic violence. She also wore a purple dress, as a sign of solidarity with those women.

As Watson approached her husband, she subtly turned her back to the quarterback. My understanding is it was not by accident.

Cal is an idiot - but Hannah is a SAVAGE. My respect level for her went up by a lot. 

Maybe not all is lost.

• Like 2

I still think it's a little bit fantasy land to pretend that a QB is going to save this team. If we take a QB first overall, which we probably will, that guys going to have a tough time throwing to these pass catchers. That one throw into the end zone to Nico was right next to his face. If he was really any good that'd have been 7 right there. He's just a guy, probably like an on the bubble type guy for a lot of teams out there. We'll see how Metchie works out but, yikes man. We need playmakers. 

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

My personal choice is 49ers DC (and former Texans Team Captain) DeMeco Ryans.

I've been really thinking about who Lovie's replacement might be. It feels like a virtual guarantee that we're going to go "against the grain," if you will. I'm thinking.. what about Eric Bieniemy? He fits our criteria in that it would be a surprising choice considering he's seemingly blacklisted from NFL HC positions, and we could pair him with Bryce Young, and that combination would instill a lot of hope in me (probably only a temporary high before the inevitable collapse). If we're gonna do something crazy, do THAT! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I've been really thinking about who Lovie's replacement might be. It feels like a virtual guarantee that we're going to go "against the grain," if you will. I'm thinking.. what about Eric Bieniemy? He fits our criteria in that it would be a surprising choice considering he's seemingly blacklisted from NFL HC positions, and we could pair him with Bryce Young, and that combination would instill a lot of hope in me (probably only a temporary high before the inevitable collapse). If we're gonna do something crazy, do THAT! 

I’m all for Bieniemy - l advocated for him immediately after the BoB firing, and nothing really has knocked me off that. If he’s a candidate, I’m all for it. I just didn’t see him as somebody they’d want to bring in, given how his past interviews went (for the record, I think that’s a BS reason).

I’m on board with Eric B. I’m sure he’ll bring in a few former KC guys as well, guys who can bring an excitement to the current Texans O.

15 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I still think it's a little bit fantasy land to pretend that a QB is going to save this team. If we take a QB first overall, which we probably will, that guys going to have a tough time throwing to these pass catchers. That one throw into the end zone to Nico was right next to his face. If he was really any good that'd have been 7 right there. He's just a guy, probably like an on the bubble type guy for a lot of teams out there. We'll see how Metchie works out but, yikes man. We need playmakers. 

I think “save” is an ambiguous term to me; To me, “saving” this team is taking a 1-16-1 team to 5-12; By no means a turnaround, but now a team that is actually making the plays to win in a 16-9 loss or a 23-20 loss (games where you led for three quarters, no less). Show signs of progress, don’t just get the doors blown off while you’re sitting on 5 yards of offense at halftime. 

Lest we forget, there were a few games where this team carried a lead into halftime and into the 3rd quarter; that was with Davis Mills, Lovie Smith and Pep Hamilton making decisions. So, you bring in more apt decision-makers with a QB who can make plays and - who knows, maybe a 5-12 is on the horizon.

(Dare I dream for 6-11?)

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 11:00 AM, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I've been really thinking about who Lovie's replacement might be. It feels like a virtual guarantee that we're going to go "against the grain," if you will. 

McCown 

1 minute ago, tab said:

McCown 

Honestly, I wouldn't hate it. I know that's dumb but, what can I say? I'm dumb lol. I just think he's got like the right energy, and I also don't believe you've got to work your way up from college equipment guy in order to be a good HC in the NFL. 

I think it really comes down to whether or not you consider actually playing the game "relevant experience". If you don't, you think hiring McCown is crazy, but if you're like me and you do then you can get on board with it pretty easily.