2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

4 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Wouldn't be my first choice but I won't hate it. Bijan can bring a Christian McCaffrey type of play to this team.

also takes him off the board from several “rivals” interested in Bijan in the Bills, Giants, and Eagles. Not to mention possibly the other teams in the conference KC, MIA, NYJ, TEN, BAL, CIN, LAC.

I think the need for CB is vastly overstated. Legitimately one of the better position groups on the team and imo the league. OT isn’t as bad as everyone makes it seem. And WR has players too and can be remedied easily with one more player be it a trade for a vet or a single decent pick at the position anywhere before the fourth round of the draft. If Henry isn’t traded in a package for Lamar or something then TE is very strong between he and Gesicki.

Finding defensive linemen and/or stout front 7 backers along with a playmaker on offense is what it’s about to me. Taking another stab at QB too. Basically best player available at this point.

Only offensive lineman I want to see in first round: Anton Harrison

Receiver/RB first round: Bijan Robinson, Zay Flowers, Marvin Mims

I agree that Bijan is a great player and will great in the NFL.. but the Patriots aren't in a position to take such a luxury pick in the first round. Even if they were in a great position like the Eagles.. I would still trade back from 14 into the mid 20's before considering the pick. They have way too many holes on the roster to spend a high pick on a RB. Especially when they have Stevenson under team control for 2 more seasons. If you really want to draft a RB in the first round, do that in 2 years when Stevenson leaves and you can let them take all the carries year 1 and maximize the rookie contract. Or more likely would be spending a 3rd/4th on another RB next year to redshirt behind Stevenson then take over when he leaves. 

CB is still a huge need, but I agree it doesn't need to be a 1st round pick.. I would double dip at the position though.. maybe 2nd and 4th or 3rd and 4th like they did last year. 

- Jalen Mills is on a 1 year deal and likely moving to safety 

- Jon Jones is likely to move all over the backfield ( Safety / Slot / Outside) so I wouldn't lock him into another year of outside corner

- Jack Jones had his suspension and even then, they want at least 3 outside CB to rotate

- Marcus Jones should stay in the slot 

They don't necessarily need a CB in the first round.. but I think they need someone who can play significant snaps year 1 because they haven't brought in any free agents who have a chance to start. 

The area that they potentially have room to go later is OT.. if they want a starter, I agree Anton Harrison is a great option. Trading back 5 or so picks to grab another 3rd and taking him would be a good idea. Otherwise in the 3rd you have guys like Steen / Freeland you can get as developmental players. If Bill O'Brien really focuses on a fast, spread them out offense then it will reduce the need for immediate help at OT, allowing them to put earlier picks into upgrading receiving options.

I would be happy with one of 4 scenarios happening.. all would be more impactful 1st rounds than taking a RB: 

1) Trade back for an extra 3rd: Anton Harrison (1st) / Marvin Mims (2nd) / Darius Rush (3rd) / Tucker Kraft (3rd) 

2)Trade back for an extra 3rd: Zay Flowers (1st) / Jaelyn Duncan (2nd) / Darius Rush (3rd) / Tucker Kraft (3rd) 

3)Trade back for an extra 3rd: Deonte Banks (1st)  / Marvin Mims (2nd) / Tyler Steen (3rd) / Tucker Kraft (3rd)

4)Trade back to late 1st for an extra 2nd: Will McDonald IV (1st) (I think they will love him) / Marvin Mims (2nd) / Jaelyn Duncan (2nd) / Darius Rush (3rd)

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

3rd and 4th like they did last year. 

cosign this for CB

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

but the Patriots aren't in a position to take such a luxury pick in the first round

they are and it isnt just a luxury but will they, highly doubtful

as for scenarios, i still like mac jones and the roster pieces around. id like to see a scenario where the pats scoop up jack campbell and daniel scott if they trade out and/or miss out on anton harrison/zay flowers/marvin mims/bijan robinson/nolan smith/bryce young/anthony richardson/will levis.

i also would like a scenario where they take a tight end in the first couple of rounda and a qb in round 2 or 3 even if its stetson bennett. i just want a bunch of comparable young talent at qb and hit on one. mac jones might be a hit but right now its worth being safer than sorry

if pats end up with darnell washington or michael mayer in round 1 after presumably a slight trade back and then stetson bennett in round 2, i think thatll yield positive results. probably not the optimal scenario or best case decisions available to be made at their picks but not going to be hurt by those imo either - theyll help

Edited by DoleINGout

8 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Add a RB in the first 3 rounds and I'll be furious. Gibbs you could talk me into into eventually.. but I would still hate it. 

CB / WR / TE / OT are all soooo much more important areas to add before thinking RB. 

I would be concerned if they trade down.   I would laugh if this happens.  It's so outrageous. I would give up right after the pick,  until BB retires. 1st Rd pick on a RB, with so many holes on the roster, that will play less than 50% of the time !!!!

Yes less than 50% because we all know BB would play Stevenson the majority of time. Look at his history with rookies.

I'll just say this.

The Pats have one of the worse WR and OL groups in the NFL. 

Our #1 guy is Parker hardly a elite player. Our number one FA signing at WR was JJS, who doesn't moves the needle, he's a JAG. He's your number two WR .  Don't tell me you were excited with that signing.

The OL who is the best player? Trent Brown.   Who's our RT and the backups at tackle... Reiff and after that, NO ONE. Our 25 yr left OG is another player that doesn't move the needle. His physical ceiling is maxed, and we saw countless times, Strange getting steamed role off his feet. 

There's no way in heck this team goes anywhere until they upgrade the talent. Riley Reiff are you kidding me!!!

Draft scenario for me.

1. Nolan Smith or Gonzalez ---------------  at 14  Elite game changers

2. Flowers or JSN   ------------------------small trade down, mid 1st

3. Wright, Harrison ------------------------ 25 down 1st RD

After this I would go all offense unless there's a defensive player that is rated much higher and you can't pass the value.

2nd Rd  I would look at TE's  and see who's on the board. Laporta, Washington, Michael Mayer, Dalton Kincaid,

3rd RD  WR/ TE  maybe CB (based on rating )  Tucker Kraft,Luke Musgrave, Tyler Scott, Marvin Mims.

After the TE/WR, I look at ratings (3rd RD)  and that would be the CB's such as  Julius Brents, Eli Ricks, Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson, Garrett Williams, Kyu Blu Kelly , Darius Rush.

ADDED    Forgot  OL Duncan in the 2nd and Steen and Wanya Morris in the 3/4 RD.

I don't care who's on the current roster. This team need youth.  BB signed FA at WR and OL and I don't care.  I would replace them with the players above.

----------------------------------------------

Last but not least.

Don't be shocked if Onwenu is traded. If that's the case, look for Steve Avila or  OG O'Cyrus Torrence in the 2nd Rd.

You know BB loves to kick me in the nuts every draft with some Gator crap !!! 

Hines is on the roster as well.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Adetomiwa Adebawore?

Adebawore and Tuli Tuipuloto from USC are both in the same grouping IMO. Not the best size you want. Sort of both tweeners, but man they are tough. Just like Calijah Kancey. I’d like them both (AA & TT) in the second round if we were gonna target that position at that point

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

I would be concerned if they trade down.   I would laugh if this happens.  It's so outrageous. I would give up right after the pick,  until BB retires. 1st Rd pick on a RB, with so many holes on the roster, that will play less than 50% of the time !!!!

Yes less than 50% because we all know BB would play Stevenson the majority of time. Look at his history with rookies.

Not just that, but he can make 4th, 5th, 6th round RBs work just fine. Isn't Rhamondre a 6th rounder?

No need to draft a RB first round. I'd love to know what the trigger was for getting Michel in the first. I suspect it's because we had 2 first round picks

OT, Edge, CB, WR. That's what we should spend first 3 picks on

• Like 1