Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jimmy G just went to Green Bay and beat the Packers in the playoffs last season, lol. And Brady was better than Aaron Rodger this year. I don't think trading away two picks for Adams means that we're going to live or die by the win now philosophy. 

I'm beginning to think you don't even want Rodgers and you came here to troll. I mean, most of us are done and ready for a rebuild, but in what universe did Brady look better than Rodgers this year? 

If the Raiders decide to go for Rodgers, prepare to be disappointed - because if the Jets or the Titans offer their first rounder, then the Raiders will have to dangle pick #7 to even have a seat at the table. 

Your team is owned by Mark Davis. How do you not expect inept roster construction?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Unless the Raiders feel confident they're going to be in the mix for Tom Brady, McDaniels is going to feel a LOT of pressure to get that QB situation right.  And the QB market isn't looking overly fruitful after they've made it clear they're moving on from Derek Carr.  Perhaps whatever assets(s) they get from him can be re-routed to Green Bay instead.  You could see a situation where it becomes a 3-team trade.

Packers Get: Raiders Pick(s), Team X Pick(s)
Raiders Get: QB Aaron Rodgers
Team X Get: QB Derek Carr

I think we're pretty confident that we'll be able to land Brady. JMD/DZ have connections to him and our owner has had a hard on for TB12 since 2020.

The only issue with that is the timing, we only have three weeks to make a decision on Carr, it doesn't seem like that really fits in with the Packers/Rodgers timeline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Unless the Raiders feel confident they're going to be in the mix for Tom Brady, McDaniels is going to feel a LOT of pressure to get that QB situation right.  And the QB market isn't looking overly fruitful after they've made it clear they're moving on from Derek Carr.  Perhaps whatever assets(s) they get from him can be re-routed to Green Bay instead.  You could see a situation where it becomes a 3-team trade.

Packers Get: Raiders Pick(s), Team X Pick(s)
Raiders Get: QB Aaron Rodgers
Team X Get: QB Derek Carr

Serious question CWood. Carr has a no trade clause. His deal for this year and part of next year is guaranteed like the 2nd or 3rd day of the new league year. I believe before trading commences. Why would he agree to be traded rather than choose his destiny? 

Just now, Sandy said:

I'm beginning to think you don't even want Rodgers and you came here to troll. I mean, most of us are done and ready for a rebuild, but in what universe did Brady look better than Rodgers this year? 

If the Raiders decide to go for Rodgers, prepare to be disappointed - because if the Jets or the Titans offer their first rounder, then the Raiders will have to dangle pick #7 to even have a seat at the table. 

Your team is owned by Mark Davis. How do you not expect inept roster construction?

I'd prefer Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady personally, I think our new regime and Mark Davis have their heart set on Brady though. 

Just now, Old Guy said:

Serious question CWood. Carr has a no trade clause. His deal for this year and part of next year is guaranteed like the 2nd or 3rd day of the new league year. I believe before trading commences. Why would he agree to be traded rather than choose his destiny? 

Carr has $40M in GTD money ($33M in 2023/$7M in 2024) that kicks in three days after the Super Bowl. If he's traded he'll get that GTD money and be in line to make $40M+ in 2024/2025. He won't get even close to that in free agency.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr has $40M in GTD money ($33M in 2023/$7M in 2024) that kicks in three days after the Super Bowl. If he's traded he'll get that GTD money and be in line to make $40M+ in 2024/2025. He won't get even close to that in free agency.

So, the Raiders have to guarantee his money before they can explore a trade. Pretty risky move for a QB who may not garner as much interest as the Raiders think he will. 

BTW, your comment about him not getting close to that in free agency is counterintuitive to the idea of waiting until after it's guaranteed to trade him. The acquiring team has to not only pay him that but give up assets to get him. On what planet does that make sense? 

Edited by Old Guy

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You can agree to a trade, but not execute it until the new league year.  It happened a couple of years ago with Matthew Stafford.  It was agreed to late in January (IIRC), but wasn't official until March.  And I'm not sure the deadline is big a deal as people make it out to be.  He's still tradeable after that deadline, the Raiders just don't save any money by releasing him.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd prefer Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady personally, I think our new regime and Mark Davis have their heart set on Brady though. 

That's fair, and they probably will... I'm not so sure Brady wants to be in LV. 

No matter what, I think the Raiders go all in next year. I think they push hard for one or both of the HoF QBs. If Brady spurns them, Rodgers will be the target.

Just now, Old Guy said:

So, the Raiders have to guarantee his money before they can explore a trade. Pretty risky move for a QB who may not garner as much interest as the Raiders think he will. 

No we have to cut him or agree to trade him by February 15th. (Trade can't be processed until the new league year starts)

We've reportedly already had discussions with the Saints, Commanders, and Jets. And Carr has already started to do research on all of his potential landing spots. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

You can agree to a trade, but not execute it until the new league year.  It happened a couple of years ago with Matthew Stafford.  It was agreed to late in January (IIRC), but wasn't official until March.  And I'm not sure the deadline is big a deal as people make it out to be.  He's still tradeable after that deadline, the Raiders just don't save any money by releasing him.

The deadline is definitely a big deal and we've already made it clear that we'll cut him if we can't trade him. We don't want to be on the hook for that $40M, that's why we benched him and set him home the last couple of weeks, if he got hurt, even just training, it would've become fully GTD.

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

That's fair, and they probably will... I'm not so sure Brady wants to be in LV. 

No matter what, I think the Raiders go all in next year. I think they push hard for one or both of the HoF QBs. If Brady spurns them, Rodgers will be the target.

I agree with that. I think we'll probably pursue Brady first but if we miss and QB's are coming off the board I could see us making a desperate move for Rodgers.

Just now, NYRaider said:

No we have to cut him or agree to trade him by February 15th. (Trade can't be processed until the new league year starts)

We've reportedly already had discussions with the Saints, Commanders, and Jets. And Carr has already started to do research on all of his potential landing spots. 

So if he's not traded until after the new league year in March, his contract would be fully guaranteed at that point.  I'm struggling to find a team that who needs a QB that doesn't think that just under $34M is a bad contract.  He'll probably be restructured as part of the trade to create $20M more in cap space.

BTW, your comment about him not getting close to that money in free agency is counterintuitive to the idea of waiting until after it's guaranteed to trade him. The acquiring team has to not only pay him that but give up assets to get him. On what planet does that make sense? 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

BTW, your comment about him not getting close to that money in free agency is counterintuitive to the idea of waiting until after it's guaranteed to trade him. The acquiring team has to not only pay him that but give up assets to get him. On what planet does that make sense? 

We literally can't trade him until the new league year begins. But if we agree to a trade the other team would be agreeing to take on his contract, including the $40M GTD. 

The planet where they'd run the risk of striking out at QB in free agency which could result in GM/HC losing their job. 

The deadline is definitely a big deal and we've already made it clear that we'll cut him if we can't trade him. We don't want to be on the hook for that $40M, that's why we benched him and set him home the last couple of weeks, if he got hurt, even just training, it would've become fully GTD.

Unfortunately, I think the Raiders kill their leverage when they made it clear they'll cut him.  Because right now any team acquiring Carr is at a minimum getting a 1 year, $46M deal if they were to release him after the 2023 season with only only the $7.5M in dead cap in 2024.  That's reasonable.  Carr holds leverage with that NTC and could be petty and block every trade forcing Las Vegas to eat his cap hit, but Carr has motivation to go elsewhere.