Deshawn Pace
    LB Cincinnati

• WAS
    188. Deuce Vaughn, RB Kansas St

Edited by turtle28

2023 NFL Roster

Offense:

QB: Sam Howell, Taylor Heinicke, Jake Fromm

RB: Brian Robinson, Antonio Gibson, Jarrett Patterson, Deuce Vaughan (R7)

LT: Leno, Jaelyn Duncan (R2)

LG: Norwell, Saahdiq Charles

C : Roullier, Sedrick Van Pran (R2)

RG: O’Cyrus Torrence (R1), Wes S.

RT: Cosmi, Lucas

TE: Logan Thomas, John Bates, Cole Turner, Amari Rodgers

WR1: Terry McLaurin, Dyami Brown

WR2: Jahan Dotson, Cam Sims

Slot: Curtis Samuel, Dax Milne 

Defense:

RDE: Montez Sweat, Obada

DT: Jon Allen, Phil Mathis

NT: Da’Ron Payne, Ridgeway 

LDE: Chase Young, JSW

MLB: Holcomb, David Mayo

OLB: Jamin Davis, Jalen Graham (R4), Khaleke Hudson

BN: Bobby McCain, DeShawn Pace (R6)

CB1: James Bradberry, Eli Ricks (R3)

CB2: BSJ, Kei’Trel Clark (R5)

Slot: Kendall Fuller, Christian Holmes

SS: Kam Curl, Jeremy Reaves

FS: Darrick Forrest, Percy Butler

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I really like the philosophy. Go heavy on the offensive line. 

Is anyone firmly against Gardner Minshew? He looks like a tool. But, man, look at his career stats. Most of which came on a really bad Jax team with limited offensive weapons. QBR better every year. Small sample size the last two.

Still young. Heinicke swag. I dunno... I see more upside there than Jimmy G. 

Really, I think you give Howell the ball to start the year.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

How long till Jimmy G inevitably gets hurt behind that line? Does he make it longer than Wentz?

Well, I’ve invested in the OL so hopefully it’s better & Jimmy G gets rid of the ball faster than Wentz. I guess maybe he gets hurt at some point but I’d be ok with that because then we’d see what Howell had & maybe Howell shows enough that we’d think he could be the guy in the future.

1 hour ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I really like the philosophy. Go heavy on the offensive line. 

Is anyone firmly against Gardner Minshew? He looks like a tool. But, man, look at his career stats. Most of which came on a really bad Jax team with limited offensive weapons. QBR better every year. Small sample size the last two.

Still young. Heinicke swag. I dunno... I see more upside there than Jimmy G. 

Really, I think you give Howell the ball to start the year.

I’m not against Minshew but I think Jimmy G is a better more consistent QB & Jimmy has a lot of playoff experience too. 

I have no problem w/ giving Howell the ropes, but I don’t think it’s realistic that happens with this coaching staff.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

The QB situation next off season is simple for me.

If Rivera & Coaching staff remain the same, even with new Owner?

Keep Sam Howell & decide if he or a FA pickup is starter. ( Even if Heinicke or Wentz are brought back)

Build the rest of the team. Specially, O-line as well as others.

If New Owner comes in & all are fired? We get new coach & staff?

Draft QB in round 1 or 2. Build O-line in draft &/or FA. Go from there.

• Like 1

Like the idea of a trade-down to get into a better position to take an interior OL. Based on early reviews, I’d be pleased with either O.C. Torrence or J.M. Schmitz around the late 20s or so. Both really big boys who play like they know they’re big boys. Schmitz is an absolute killer, though I haven’t gotten a good sense of how well he moves on the perimeter. 

And that’s one thing we do have to keep in mind with this particular coaching staff — they appear to value mobility and technical/positional blocking over power and pure brutality in the trenches. From what I’ve seen of O’Torrence (the Florida version, not the UL version), I think he could provide all of the above. But the fear with him is that he’s already pushing the limit in terms of weight — is he going to continue to stay in shape once he’s rich? Tough to know without meeting the kid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well scrap this QB acquisition idea! I want Howell to be in competition to be our starting QB next year which means you don’t sign a FA QB like Jimmy G or Derek Carr & give them a big contract. Instead you re-sign Heinicke or a back up level journeyman QB to compete with Howell & draft another QB in the mid to late rounds to develop behind them in the way we did Howell this year.

With this coaching staff they will sign some other teams reject like the 3 listed in this thread and we will be horrible again when it matters.3 seasons and all the same,lose to start the season and to finnish with enough wins in between to keep them from drafting a franchise QB

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 8:21 AM, MikeT14 said:

How often does something like this happen?

I can’t answer that but both of them don’t have better options. Say their base salaries were cut down & turned into bonuses they got for games played then they’d have the ability to make their full contract back in the way that Heinicke got bonuses for wins that he had.

If Logan or Roullier say no and get cut, both are looking at likely vet min contracts next year because they’d had 2 injury plagued years & in Logan’s case a huge dip in production even this year bc our passing offense focused more around our 3 talented WRs rather than force feeding the TE like Alex did in 2020 when he was our 2nd of 3rd best receiving option behind Terry & McKissic. 

Or there’s a chance if Logan & Roullier didn’t agree to their pay cuts that they’d be employed some or all of the year. Given their age & injury history I can’t see other teams even wanting to sign them as cheaper vets when they could get someone else. Roullier has barely played in 2 years but for us, he’d clearly be the best option at center in retained while for most other teams that’s not the case. If they don’t agree there’s a strong chance they could Ereck Flowers & Landon Collins themselves next season. 

On 1/9/2023 at 9:16 AM, MikeT14 said:

You might want to check if this is possible.

I have no idea why it wouldn’t be. Heck, if not a restructure, they could do an extension like 3 years for $30 million while lowering his cap hit this year to $5 million.