2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

6 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Why are most experts who have us trading for Carr talking about this years second round pick plus a mid rounder in 2024? 

That seems expensive no? 

I’d rather wait until LV cuts him. Why give up picks?  If another team wants him so badly that they willing to do that, so be it. There are other equally talented QB’s that won’t coat draft capital.

I really don’t think anyone will trade for Carr knowing LV will cut him. Happens all the time. Woody wants to spend for a QB so if Carr is who they want, we will outbid anyone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Difference being, ~20m (approx.) and no long-term commitment. Signing someone like Tannehill, Jimmy G or Baker AND two additional starters for what Carr would cost, while staying proactive for a long-term solution.

But yea, some stop-gap option is obviously needed. 

I am going with the assumption that we only get Carr after he has been cut. At that point, $ come into play. If Carr still wants $30M/yr, pivot to someone else. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Saleh’s rah rah and t-shirts don’t work if we lose the locker room. 

He chose the locker room over winning already. We went with likable over results. I’ll always stand on that because you don’t make a change when you’re winning games. Like how do you make a change because the new player gives you the best chance to win and then go 1-6 and only score 2 touchdowns in the last 4 games and those came from the guy you benched. I wasn’t on the board after thanksgiving but I know that had to be frustrating considering what Saleh, Garrett and the fans sold on Mike White.

34 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So just so I’m clear, it’s all on Wilson and on no one else? 

No I've stated for a very long time on how I didn't like MLF and dont think he did any favors to help Wilson. But from what I've seen from Wilson in years even factoring in a bad OC. I see no way he's a franchise QB in this league. He'd have to show everything the complete opposite of what he has in 22 games as a starting Qb in this league.

22 games and not a single game with 3 TDs, as well as never a 2 TD game without also throwing an INT.

The only consistency to his game is poor mechanics, poor footwork, bad decision making and no ability to go through reads and read defenses. Not exactly traits that scream franchise QB. Nor traits that magically get fixed by a new OC.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

My idea is this. Go sign or trade for a good vet. Not an average one. Carr comes to mind for me

Agreed but I don’t see that big of a difference between Carr and Jimmy G. I’d also look at Tannehill if the cost for Carr is too high. The point is that I do not see as much as a difference between those three that would dictate trading picks and paying a lot more. All things being close, yeah, give me Carr.

Danny Dimes would still be my first choice but no way are the Giants letting him leave now.

I want no part of Brady or A-Aron. They are asshats and would be a one and done thing leaving us in the same predicament next year.  Plus I despise Brady and I would hate for root against my own QB.

Lamar is an option but the $ he would command and his balky knee makes it risky.

No to Baker, Mineshew or any other career backup. Might as well keep MFW. In that regard, KONY is right.

In the end, I think we end up with Carr, Jimmy G, or Lamar with Tannehill as option 4. 

13 minutes ago, xrade said:

I’d rather wait until LV cuts him. Why give up picks?  If another team wants him so badly that they willing to do that, so be it. There are other equally talented QB’s that won’t coat draft capital.

I really don’t think anyone will trade for Carr knowing LV will cut him. Happens all the time. Woody wants to spend for a QB so if Carr is who they want, we will outbid anyone. 

Either way is good. The issue with LV cutting him is that a dozen teams will be in on him. Where if you trade for him, he's your QB obviously. I cant see the price being high for him. LV has no leverage with him. He has a no trade clause. So if he doesn't like the team calling to trade for him and the restructure they'll do with him. He can say no. And they're forced to cut him. So all that significantly lowers his value. What sets the price for him is other teams. If a team is willing to give up quality picks for him. I could see us out on him. JD rarely loses trades. All that being said... I think he goes for something like 2 4ths or something in that range. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

No I've stated for a very long time on how I didn't like MLF and dont think he did any favors to help Wilson. 

How can you say this and then say you don’t think the issue was coaching or play calling? How can MLF not do him any favors but also the issue not be the things MLF were responsible for.

How can we all not come to the conclusion that Zach Wilson played bad and the Jets did a poor job with his development? The inconsistencies in his game from snap to snap, confusion for the entire offense, poor offensive line play, destroying his confidence(thanks Garrett), etc…

6 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

How do you guys feel about the Saleh philosophy on offense of playing not to lose and leaning on the defense? Do you think it’s detrimental to the offense since they’re essentially given little room to be aggressive?

He isn't as strong as Pete Carroll.  I think Saleh is loose on offensive philosophy right now because offense is stalling. If offense is sound, we can get better picture of Saleh's true nature.  Right now, offense is bad and he leans to defense for better chance to win.  Lions game destroyed Saleh's said philosophy.

12 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

How do you guys feel about the Saleh philosophy on offense of playing not to lose and leaning on the defense? Do you think it’s detrimental to the offense since they’re essentially given little room to be aggressive?

He had to lean on the D because we had no O. Get a decent OL,QB, and OC and let’s see what he does.

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

Agreed but I don’t see that big of a difference between Carr and Jimmy G. I’d also look at Tannehill if the cost for Carr is too high. The point is that I do not see as much as a difference between those three that would dictate trading picks and paying a lot more. All things being close, yeah, give me Carr.

Danny Dimes would still be my first choice but no way are the Giants letting him leave now.

I want no part of Brady or A-Aron. They are asshats and would be a one and done thing leaving us in the same predicament next year.  Plus I despise Brady and I would hate for root against my own QB.

Lamar is an option but the $ he would command and his balky knee makes it risky.

No to Baker, Mineshew or any other career backup. Might as well keep MFW. In that regard, KONY is right.

In the end, I think we end up with Carr, Jimmy G, or Lamar with Tannehill as option 4. 

For me Carr can play in any system. Jimmy G in a certain one. So wo we get as OC plays into this. We still run a version of what we did and SF does. I could see Jimmy G as a Jet. We go with a more open type scheme... I see us shifting elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

For me Carr can play in any system. Jimmy G in a certain one. So wo we get as OC plays into this. We still run a version of what we did and SF does. I could see Jimmy G as a Jet. We go with a more open type scheme... I see us shifting elsewhere.

Well, Carr flunked in McDaniels' system.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I feel like things are moving really slow. We haven’t had a single coaching hire yet around the league besides Schwartz to the Browns.

Ben Johnson stays with Lions so that would give him 2 year as OC.  Good lining up for Saleh's replacement next year don't you think?