2023 Mock Draft thread

Forge

3 hours ago, JIllg said:

Love getting McGuire and Fehoko that late, especially McGuire. I think that he can be a useful player in the Arden Key role. Love the positions taken and all of the players I am familiar with. I haven't scouted Schoonmaker yet. What does he bring to the table?

Seems to be one of the better blockers in the class and is alright in the pass game. Similar to Charlie Woerner. 

I wanted LaPorta but he went in the 1st round lol.

• SF
    Luke Wypler
    OC Ohio State

• SF
    DeMarvion Overshown
    LB Texas

• SF
    Zach Harrison
    EDGE Ohio State

• SF
    Will Mallory
    TE Miami (FL)

• SF
    Rakim Jarrett
    WR Maryland

• SF
    Juice Scruggs
    OC Penn State

• SF
    Jake Haener
    QB Fresno State

• SF
    Jake Moody
    K Michigan

• SF
    Robert Beal
    EDGE Georgia

• SF
    Trevor Reid
    OT Louisville

• SF
    Cory Durden
    DT NC State

This is what I came up with using that non pff simulator. Seems pretty pie in the sky that some of these guys fall though 

99 OT Jaelyn Duncan Maryland

101 IDL Gervon Dexter Flordia

102 Eli Ricks CB Alabama

164 Luke Shoonmacher TE  Michigan 

173 Israel Abanikada RB Pitt

216 Alex Forsyth IOL | Oregon

222 Gervarrius Owens S | Houston

247 Yasir Abdullah LB | Louisville

253 Malik Cunningham QB | Louisville

255 Chad Ryland K | Maryland

On 3/30/2023 at 2:49 PM, GW21 said:
  • SF
    Luke Wypler
    OC Ohio State

• SF
    DeMarvion Overshown
    LB Texas

• SF
    Zach Harrison
    EDGE Ohio State

• SF
    Will Mallory
    TE Miami (FL)

• SF
    Rakim Jarrett
    WR Maryland

• SF
    Juice Scruggs
    OC Penn State

• SF
    Jake Haener
    QB Fresno State

• SF
    Jake Moody
    K Michigan

• SF
    Robert Beal
    EDGE Georgia

• SF
    Trevor Reid
    OT Louisville

• SF
    Cory Durden
    DT NC State

I watched a few games of Wypler, and I am very impressed!  His feet are great, and he holds up well enough against the bull rush.  He has a great feel for the game, and would fit really well into the zone scheme we run.  I think he has a high 2nd round grade.  30-40, but he is an exceptional scheme fit who also fills a need.  Whether he beats out Brendal or not, the 2nd string center would be upgraded.

Was it the footwork that drew you to Wypler?  I have my first real draft crush!

EDIT1:  Damarvion The Martian Overshown.  Number 0?!?  Who the F is this guy.  This is going to be a fun watch!!

EDIT2:  Overshown is an interesting player.  I have him at a late 3rd grade with below average scheme fit currently, but with development potential. 

I liked his ability to use his hands to shed blockers.  It was his best trait.  He plays the run well, and takes on blockers willingly.  He seems to understand his assignments well, and runs pretty well.  

He likes to move forward on a lot of plays, as it was his collegiate assignment, and he didn't always get depth in his coverages.  He slipped when changing directions quite a bit.  I would want to analyze his ability in coverage and ball skills to determine where his potential would be.  I have it chalked up as an unknown.  

His form when tackling was not very good.  He did not shy away from contact, and was able to plug holes, but it seems he was either completely upright when tackling, or fully horizontal, without any leverage or bend to his technique.  There were times when he would slide off of players from being too upright, or dive and miss an arm tackle.  I think it is likely his form will improve at the next level, so I wouldn't consider this a long term problem. 

I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him, but he would have to answer some question marks with his workouts and interviews.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

Julius Brents

CB Kansas State

Zach Harrison

EDGE Ohio State

Jonathan Mingo

WR Ole Miss

Jon Gaines II

OC UCLA

Andrew Vorhees

OG USC

Luke Schoonmaker

TE Michigan

Aidan O'Connell

QB Purdue

Jake Witt

OT Northern Michigan

Viliami Fehoko

EDGE San Jose State

Marte Mapu

LB Sacramento State

Jake Moody

K Michigan

Karl Brooks

DT Bowling Green

• Like 2

Just finished my second mock of the year with The Draft Network:

(Trade: 3.100, 6.218, 7.257 to Colts for 3.80)

3.80: Sam LaPorta, TE

(Trade: 3.102, 7.249, 7.255 to Jags for 3.89)

3.89: Sydney Brown, S

3.103: Elias Ricks, CB

5.157: Marte Mapu, LB

5.166: Nick Saldiveri, OT

(Trade: 5.175 to the Cowboys for 6.214, 7.246)

6.214: Jonathan Mingo, WR

7.224: Mekhi Blackmon, CB

7.246: Chad Ryland, K

• Like 3

19 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Just finished my second mock of the year with The Draft Network:

(Trade: 3.100, 6.218, 7.257 to Colts for 3.80)

3.80: Sam LaPorta, TE

(Trade: 3.102, 7.249, 7.255 to Jags for 3.89)

3.89: Sydney Brown, S

3.103: Elias Ricks, CB

5.157: Marte Mapu, LB

5.166: Nick Saldiveri, OT

(Trade: 5.175 to the Cowboys for 6.214, 7.246)

6.214: Jonathan Mingo, WR

7.224: Mekhi Blackmon, CB

7.246: Chad Ryland, K

Not a Blackmon fan, but the round you got him as well as basically all the other picks--Brown, LaPorta and Mingo especially--make this my favorite so far in this thread. 

50 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Not a Blackmon fan, but the round you got him as well as basically all the other picks--Brown, LaPorta and Mingo especially--make this my favorite so far in this thread. 

Yeah I got lucky with Mingo falling to the 6th. I'm pretty pleased with how the draft turned out. I got the guys I wanted. On Blackmon, I had a luxury pick in the 7th as I got all the positions I wanted to take and he was the best guy available, IMO. I like his coverage skills but don't love the size. The thought with this pick was he'd be on the PS and build up strength and weight to compete for a roster spot next season. 

@Forge, I tried the ultra aggressive strategy in a mock like you to see what I'd have available. I was targeting Julius Brents, but he went 31. I was also seeing how the TE market would shake out and 4 TE went in round 1, which prompted me to be aggressive and move up 50 pick spots to take LaPorta. I wanted to see if any intriguing OT or EDGE would be there but I wasn't a fan of anyone available. I also made a bunch of other trades, too. 

2.51: Sam LaPorta, TE

3.103: Brandon Joseph, FS

5.157: Trevor Reid, OT

5.175: Rejzohn Wright, CB

6.185: Jakorian Bennett, CB

6.217: Jonathan Mingo, WR

7.249: Chad Ryland, K

Overall, I think it's a fine draft. I didn't get the corners I wanted, so double-dipped on guys I like. I'm intrigued with Brandon Joseph at safety for us. I was happy he fell to me after missing out on Sydney Brown. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

@Forge, I tried the ultra aggressive strategy in a mock like you to see what I'd have available. I was targeting Julius Brents, but he went 31. I was also seeing how the TE market would shake out and 4 TE went in round 1, which prompted me to be aggressive and move up 50 pick spots to take LaPorta. I wanted to see if any intriguing OT or EDGE would be there but I wasn't a fan of anyone available. I also made a bunch of other trades, too. 

Overall, I think it's a fine draft. I didn't get the corners I wanted, so double-dipped on guys I like. I'm intrigued with Brandon Joseph at safety for us. I was happy he fell to me after missing out on Sydney Brown. 

What simulator are you using where you can land Mingo in 6? 

EDIT: Oh, I see on your previous mock you used TDN

Edited by GW21

55 minutes ago, GW21 said:

What simulator are you using where you can land Mingo in 6? 

EDIT: Oh, I see on your previous mock you used TDN

Yeah I like TDN more than PFF. I think their mock simulator is better than PFF's and they have more write-ups on guys than PFF.

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yeah I like TDN more than PFF. I think their mock simulator is better than PFF's and they have more write-ups on guys than PFF.

I've been using the PFN simulator. Seemed like when I last went to TDN it was trying to launch some BETA and didn't work. Might have to have a look at it today. Even before PFF made you pay for theirs i liked these other two better anyway. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think that if they got uber aggressive, its probably going to look like a fine draft, but even in yours or mine, I don't know if its worth it.. I think that this is a good draft (I don't think Mingo in the 6th is realistic, but even throwing that out, this is still solid). It's fun to experiment though. 

If they made one big trade up from 99 & 101 to like 60 to get someone, I don't think I'd be apoplectic or anything, but not sure I'd love it. 

TDN definitely has some different values on guys that PFN. First one playing with TDN, I did waaaay too much double dipping on this guy, but I just fired through it without much thought. I would be happy with the first three picks. 

100 - Jordan Battle S
102 - Sam LaPorta TE
103 - Eli Ricks CB
157 - Tyrique Stevenson CB
166 - Robert Beal Jr.  EDGE
175 - Jonathan Mingo WR
218 - Rakim Jarrett WR
224 - Isaiah McGuire EDGE
249 - Brayden Willis TE
255 - Ricky Stromberg IOL 
257 - Jaylon Jones CB

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think that if they got uber aggressive, its probably going to look like a fine draft, but even in yours or mine, I don't know if its worth it.. I think that this is a good draft (I don't think Mingo in the 6th is realistic, but even throwing that out, this is still solid). It's fun to experiment though. 

If they made one big trade up from 99 & 101 to like 60 to get someone, I don't think I'd be apoplectic or anything, but not sure I'd love it. 

I agree that Mingo shouldn't fall that far. First impression of TDN is that they value EDGE and O Line much more than PFN does. It's a fun exercise though.