Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

14 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

He actually made great strides over last year. I'm not surprised they took him in the 7th. I just don't think he should've been drafted over Carter

The throw he made against Furman in the quarterfinals was insane, 25 yard dart.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Both should've been drafted over Jake Fromm though. 

I’m sure those 2 drops on those two 45 yard passes were Jake Fromm’s fault in your eyes. Also, the WR on the sidelines ran a poor route, not giving Fromm enough room to fit the ball in on the sidelines so he caught it out of bounds.  Those bad plays by the WRS wouldn’t  have shown up on the stat sheet.

The position players outside of Swift last year sucked for Georgia, that's the only reason Fromm didn't progress as a QB. Its plain as day when you watch the games that his WRs & TE aren't playing well, aren't getting open and are dropping passes.

Just in the first few minutes of that clip, I count two drops and a bad route by the WR on the sidelines that cost Fromm 3 completions which would have been about 150 yards and maybe a TD, and that's not even the whole clip.

Yes, Justin Fields is a better QB - as a Ohio State fan - I’m glad that Fields wasn't given the job over Fromm bc he may lead OSU to a national championship but, I'm not sure Jacob Eason is better as an overall QB. Eason no doubt has incredible arm talent but he makes awful decisions and from most reports isn't a great leader, I’d take Fromm over Eason at this point.

Edited by turtle28

53 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah, I really don’t have interest in talking about it with other teams fans. I generally shy away from those news or general forums the site has. I don’t even really go to the Steelers or basketball forum anymore the way I used to years ago. I just stay here and hound you guys! Haha 🤣 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/30/nfl-personnel-draft-best-worst-justin-herbert?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 050120&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

To me, the 2012 Seahawks draft is the one. I’m sure there are others, but that’s the one that sticks out in my mind as the ultimate murderer of draft grades.

And to be sure of it, this week I went back and—through the magic of google—was able to find a lot of evidence of that. I probably perused a dozen different sets of grades, a bunch from people who do a good job, and who I respect, and who I won’t embarrass by printing their names in this space. I couldn’t find a grade higher than a C. There were Ds. There were Fs. There was biting commentary. Here’s a sampling.

The Seahawks received our lowest Round 1 grade for their reach to grab Bruce Irvin at No. 15. They messed up again in Round 3 with Russell Wilson after having signed Matt Flynn.

The Seahawks went bonkers and picked Bruce Irvin at 15. Could he develop into a solid pass rusher? Sure, but this was a spit take-inducing selection. LB Bobby Wagner and RB Robert Turbin will help, and QB Russell Wilson has a bright future, even if Seattle didn’t really need him. The rest was blah.

The Seahawks are getting slammed for reaching on too many players, including Irvin and Utah State LB Bobby Wagner, who they picked in the second round when they probably could have gotten him later on.

The Seahawks spent a third-round pick on Wilson even though the history of QBs under 6' is poor, to say the least. You don’t spend a third-round pick on a guy who’ll be lucky to be Seneca Wallace. You also don’t do that after signing Matt Flynn as a free agent. The Seahawks are no closer to solving the QB situation now than they were before 2011.

Why does Seattle take (Wilson)? They paid Matt Flynn and two others. Strange pick.

Seattle’s draft was full of reaches. Not only was Irvin a reach, but so were Bobby Wagner and Russell Wilson—their next two picks.

And again, I’m not doing this to kill anyone. I may have made the same mistakes if someone asked me to do a grades column right after the draft eight years ago. But it does highlight how little we know at this juncture. Wilson and Wagner are all-time great Seahawks who will likely have a case for the Hall of Fame.

Irvin was an important piece on a title team, and has lasted longer in the league than a bunch of guys who went ahead of him. Turbin played a role in Seattle. Later-round picks Jeremy Lane and J.R. Sweezy were very good value gets.

Anyway, I added all this up, and figured I’d give you guys something different with the draft in the rear-view mirror. We’re gonna let the scouts take the wheel on this one.

Edited by turtle28

Man! I loved Sua as a draft selection and prospect, I’m still disappointed that he didn’t turn out to be a good SS or WLB for us. He was and still is his own worst enemy. Kind of surprised he didn’t end up in the XFL this season, but knowing how off he is mentally, he probably wouldn’t do it bc he think it was beneath him or whatever, same with Kapernick or he wanted to be paid millions, not hundreds of thousands of $ to play.

I would think a guy like him would play in a league like that or the CFL to prove to the NFL that he can still play and in hopes that he could get back into the league but... Whatever!

Edited by turtle28

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, they just acquired two of the linchpins of their success in that draft, and multiple other pieces.  Goes to show you their focus on athleticism isn't off the mark.  However, you've got to have the coaches to develop those players after they are drafted.  I trust Pete Carroll to do that.  I didn't trust Jay Gruden to do it, and Mike Shanahan struggled with it.  Rivera has some experience with it, so let's see what he can do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

*If healthy

True but 12 or 13 games of Chris Thompson and the 600 to 750 yards - most of which will move the chains on 3rd down - is worth it to every team. Even though Thompson only played 16 games once for the Redskins - coincidentally in 2016, the year Kirk threw for 5,000 yds - his production is extremely valuable to an offense, particularly on 3rd downs.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True but 12 or 13 games of Chris Thompson and the 600 to 750 yards - most of which will move the chains on 3rd down - is worth it to every team. Even though Thompson only played 16 games once for the Redskins - coincidentally in 2016, the year Kirk threw for 5,000 yds - his production is extremely valuable to an offense, particularly on 3rd downs.

If it was worth it to every team, why is he signing a one year contract with Jacksonville right after the draft?  

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, they just acquired two of the linchpins of their success in that draft, and multiple other pieces.  Goes to show you their focus on athleticism isn't off the mark.  However, you've got to have the coaches to develop those players after they are drafted.  I trust Pete Carroll to do that.  I didn't trust Jay Gruden to do it, and Mike Shanahan struggled with it.  Rivera has some experience with it, so let's see what he can do. 

You know, Jay Gruden had his flaws as a HC bc he was too lax but, I think a lot of people overlook the development that he and his coaching staff did of young players from 2014-2019, it certainly was better than the decade before and arguably the best we’ve had since the Gibbs 1.0 era.

Gruden was hamstrung by Bruce Allen. The main reason the Redskins weren't a playoff team after winning the division in 2015 was because Bruce Allen didn’t invest in the team in free agency and retain those pieces that Gruden used to obtain a home playoff game in 2015.

Allen didn’t retain DJax or Garçon (one of the 2 should have been kept), he didn’t re-sign Kirk or trade him for a 1st round pick when he could have, he didn’t retain Alfred Morris, he didn’t improve the ILB talent through FA or the draft, the DL talent until 2017 & 2018 in the draft and he never invested in a good FS. On top of that bc Bruce didn’t want to pay Kirk, he traded away a 3rd & Kendall Fuller - the leagues best slot corner in 2017 - for a starting QB in Alex Smith. Then, Brice also didn’t trade Trent for a 1st round pick when it was offered. Brice was the problem, not Gruden, we could have had two first round picks and probably more for Kirk & Trent, those are two picks that we’ll never see again.

If Shanahan - who admittedly I didn’t like bc of his personality and his defenses and lack of investment in defenses sucked - McCloughan, or Kyle Smith had been our GM all decade and not Bruce Allen, our teams would have won more even if Jay Gruden was still the HC.

Edited by turtle28

16 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If it was worth it to every team, why is he signing a one year contract with Jacksonville right after the draft?  

Well duh! Because most teams already have their own versions of Chris Thompson as a 3rd down back, or they just drafted a young RB in the last few drafts that they like in that role.

Also, Thompson is going to be 30 this year, that’s the age that most RBs truly fall apart and their career is done.

I mean for the Redskins, we signed McKissic for that role so, it’s clear we value the role and I’m sure we chose him over re-signing Thompson bc McKissic is 3 years younger.

Edited by turtle28