TCMD off-season

Cbrunn

@Steeler Hitman

What do you think Wagner will cost?  I would want Khan to sign him  and have draft picks (including Robinson) learn from Wagner in the meantime . 

24 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think that depends.  The guys sign these huge contracts and many never get to see most of it because they fail to play to the money and the teams priorities change from year to year. 

exactly, and a reason to not get carried away with mega deals.  Look at dupree just for one of many examples. I think most of those deals are a waste and cause cap issue down the road.  There is value with aging vets  and then also with having a balanced roster with a few really good players instead of that one high priced UFA. There are exceptions, but not many.  If Wagner signed 10M apy last year, it will probably be near that again considering age as an excuse of course

I don't want them to sign ILB Edmunds.  Too many needs elsewhere and the value at ILB just isn't in such a high priced deal IMO.

If Edmunds got 15M apy,  we could get 2 really good OL for that and KP as well as the run game would be on his way. You can control the game with the OL.

ILB in todays game:

1. can't control the game 

2. cap allocation could interfered with getting the most out of the rookie QB contract by not being able to sign weapons/OL

3. if I had to choose I would most often opt for elite passrusher, CB , Minkah type safety  as opposed to most top tier ILB's.  Just the way the game is now and cap management.  

Wagner is an exception and  his pricetag should be good as well ,   so Khan better be getting ready for #54 or #45 .

UFA signings

LT Dillard

OG Risner 

ILB Wagner

DT - vet like Suh, Brockers, Joseph. Not pricey and 1 year deal

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 3rivers said:

@Steeler Hitman

What do you think Wagner will cost?  I would want Khan to sign him  and have draft picks (including Robinson) learn from Wagner in the meantime . 

@3rivers

I am going to guess it will be at least $10 million.  I would be very happy, but surprised if it was less than that. I don't think that happens.  They paid about $8 million, so I am going to think more like $10-$13 million.  They would probably be better with a two year deal. Depending on what happens draft wise, he may not see all the money down the road.

exactly, and a reason to not get carried away with mega deals.  Look at Dupree just for one of many examples. I think most of those deals are a waste and cause cap issue down the road.  There is value with aging vets  and then also with having a balanced roster with a few really good players instead of that one high priced UFA. There are exceptions, but not many.  If Wagner signed 10M apy last year, it will probably be near that again considering age as an excuse of course

His age is a bit of a concern, but he is still better than anyone else we had. 

I don't want them to sign ILB Edmunds.  Too many needs elsewhere and the value at ILB just isn't in such a high priced deal IMO.

If Edmunds got 15M apy,  we could get 2 really good OL for that and KP as well as the run game would be on his way. You can control the game with the OL.

I would rather have Edmunds who we could turn money into signing bonus and have some value down the road. For me $15 Edmunds>$12 million Wagner.  They are not that far apart in $$$.  I think the contract length with a young player like Edmunds could help the cap better. I think he is going to get better, whereas I love Wagner, but he is on the downward spiral.   His downward is so much better than anyone else we have.

ILB in todays game:

1. can't control the game 

2. cap allocation could interfered with getting the most out of the rookie QB contract by not being able to sign weapons/OL

3. if I had to choose I would most often opt for elite pass rusher, CB , Minkah type safety as opposed to most top tier ILB's.  Just the way the game is now and cap management.  

Wagner is an exception and  his pricetag should be good as well,   so Khan better be getting ready for #54 or #45 .

It is hard to tell what the actually $$$ end up.  Edmunds is younger and the Steelers are weak up the middle and have been.

UFA signings

LT Dillard

OG Risner 

ILB Wagner

DT - vet like Suh, Brockers, Joseph. Not pricey and 1 year deal

I could live with that group. That is not bad at all. However, I am not sure that they will go after so many of the aged players like Suh and Joseph.  I would rather see them draft a guy or go with a younger player. 

3 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I could live with that group. That is not bad at all. However, I am not sure that they will go after so many of the aged players like Suh and Joseph.  I would rather see them draft a guy or go with a younger player. 

Suh, Joseph, Brockers,  or even Brandon Williams would be most likely 1 of these. Williams appears to be less costly and could be good for run defence still and GL stands vs teams that will run. 

Draft as well, I want an overhaul at DT . 

5 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I would rather have Edmunds who we could turn money into signing bonus and have some value down the road. For me $15 Edmunds>$12 million Wagner.  They are not that far apart in $$$.  I think the contract length with a young player like Edmunds could help the cap better. I think he is going to get better, whereas I love Wagner, but he is on the downward spiral.   His downward is so much better than anyone else we have.

I just don't like the idea of that much on an ILB when the DT and OL could  use some help. Only so much to go around, so it will be the challenge for the FO thats for sure.  L. David wants to finish with bucs, R.Evans wants to stay with Falcons, but would you try to sign him?  KVN can play Edge if required, did well replacing Bosa last year.  Not sure if he has the speed for coverage anymore though. Tranquil might be a player to consider, good blitzer as well 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Suh, Joseph, Brockers,  or even Brandon Williams would be most likely 1 of these. Williams appears to be less costly and could be good for run defence still and GL stands vs teams that will run. Draft as well, I want an overhaul at DT . 

Suh, Joseph, Williams, and Brockers are all north of 30. They are all over 32, so I would definitely prefer someone a little younger after age and wear and tear kind of affected Tyson's performance. I think you run the risk of a higher salary and lower productivity.  Some older players, I don't mind, but the reality is that father time is undefeated and even the greats cannot outrun father time for long.

I would not mind taking a look at Andrew Billings. He is 27 going on 28.  I actually liked him coming out of the draft, but the Steelers passed on him. He is an old school type DT/NG who is strong and better suited for run support. He is probably going to be able to be signed for $2-$3 million range and do what we needed Tyson to do.

I agree that the Steelers should also look to draft a young DT or NG. They need some young and fresh blood inside. 

I just don't like the idea of that much on an ILB when the DT and OL could  use some help.

I respect your opinion, but I think ILB is as important as DT. OL is a priority, but realistically, probably not as much as ILB.  I also am looking long term when I say a player like Edmonds.  I like Bobby Wagner, but he is 33 and he is not the future there. The Steelers would still need to infuse youth into the LB corps even if they signed Wagner. As long as Edmunds is not expecting $18-$20 million per year as some think. I have no idea what the market will be. Sometimes when they say it is going way up, it doesn't. If the price is right, get the  younger guy for long term and our second level is plugged long term in the middle.

Only so much to go around, so it will be the challenge for the FO that's for sure.  L. David wants to finish with bucs, R.Evans wants to stay with Falcons, but would you try to sign him?  KVN can play Edge if required, did well replacing Bosa last year.  Not sure if he has the speed for coverage anymore though. Tranquil might be a player to consider, good blitzer as well 

I am meh on all of those guys.  We got Joe Schobert two or three years too late. Myles wasn't bad, but he seems more Robin than Batman.  I want super hero in the middle. That doesn't mean Edmunds is the only answer.  He may come from the draft as well. I am looking at an intriguing candidate in Mahamoud Diabate from Utah.  I also like the top three guys Drew Sanders, Noah Sewell, and Jack Campbell. I am looking at some long/tall guys who can move and don't mind thumping someone.  We were pretty successful a long time ago with a tall skinny tough guy named Lambert.

g7rp6.jpg

6 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I would not mind taking a look at Andrew Billings. He is 27 going on 28.  I actually liked him coming out of the draft, but the Steelers passed on him.

forgot about him, but yes to this . Was it mainly injury issues that he had?  

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 10:06 AM, Cbrunn said:

Mitch / William Jackson / whiterspoon / gunner were cut 

TJ / Minkah / Heyward restructured

Sutton was transition tagged, expected to workout a long term deal , but he's asking 15apy in this simulation...so we'll visit that in the off-season 

Signings

SMB - 5 for 54 

Kyzir white - 4 for 32 

Risner - 3 for 24 

Rapp - 3 for 11 

Kazee - 3 for 5 

Tranquill - 4 for 33 

All the other depth signings were basically vet min 

I'll set the line at $200m for these players. You taking the OVER or UNDER?

22 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

Round 4 of FA I was able to bring back Robert Spillane on a vet minimum contract for 2 years

Tennessee Titans 3 yrs, $15m  

I don't even think I'd take him at minimum because it'll block Mark Robinson, who Dulac said they would give a chance to start 🙃

A few irks and shirks.

The valuations on Courtland Sutton and Diontae Johnson. The Johnson trade is cute. You're gonna need some sand in your pants to win that one. Imma wipe from that five from you cuz you don't got it in you. You got two lottery tickets (one potential) to find a DJ level caliber of player, who has been an All-Pro 😬

On what planet is Courtland Sutton better than DJ? Also, are you aware that you now have two split ends? We're looking more for an Antonio Brown or Kayshon Boutee/Demario Douglas type of figure opposite of Pickens. Yanno Brown/Bryant, Ward/Burress, Swann/Stallworth

Like that.

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Don't worry about Billings we got #91. A new 91 that probably went under the radar back in December. I think they will add another 3/5t body to the mold in the first four rounds, unless they sign LarryO, which means maybe they'll just specialize in the area in the 7th or kick it on down to UDFA.

15 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I know he had a few minor injuries from time to time, but not sure if he had a major injury in 2020-2021.  He did play last year. I think he can fit a role with run defense and short yardage/goal line.  The guy is freakishly strong. 

• Like 1