TCMD off-season

Cbrunn

This is a mock done in the GM mock draft section, a different member of the forum is controlling every team

I got about 9 Mill left to let the Dline market settle and get a spot starter

Depth Chart

Offense

QB - Kenny Pickett / Mason Rudolph 

RB - Najee Harris / Jaylen Warren / Anthony McFarland

FB - Derek Watt / Connor Heyward 

TE - Patt Freiermuth / Zach gentry 

WR - Courtland Sutton / George Pickens / Calvin Austin / Steven Sims

LT - Dan Moore / Greg little 

LG - Dalton Risner / Kevin Dotson 

C - Mason Cole / JC / Kevin Green 

RG - James Daniels 

RT - Chuks 

Defense

DE - Cam Heyward / DeMarvin Leal / Isiah Loudermilk 

DT - Montavious Adams/ Carlos Davis 

EDGE - TJ Watt / Alex highsmith / Baron Browning / Jamir Jones 

ILB - Drue Tranquill / Kazir White / Mark Robinson 

CB - Sean Murphy-Bunting / Cam Sutton / Levi Wallace / Arthur Mullet / Mark Gilbert 

FS - Minkah Fitzpatrick / Tre Norwood/ Miles Killebrew 

SS - Taylor RappDamonte Kazee / Duke Dawson 

Moves

Signed

Taylor Rapp, Drue Tranquill, Kyzir white, Sean Murphy-Bunting, Dalton Risner  

Trades

Diontae Johnson to NYG for 3rd + 5th + 2024 conditional 3rd

32 + 5th + Quincy Roche to Denver for Courtland Sutton + Baron Browning + 67 

Draft 

Edited by Cbrunn
  • Like 2

I actually love the moves you made. Not sure what Coutland Sutton’s contract looks like but he’s an upgrade over DJ imo. I would probably prefer to resign Edmonds over signing Rapp due to the chemistry that’s already built in with Minkah and the rest of the secondary.

Draft could go something like:

1- LT

2- DL

3- LB

4- NT

I wanted to bring back Edmonds but he went for like 6 apy

I got Rapp for like 4 apt for 3 or 4 years i forget 

I probably overpaid for most of the FAs though all are easily cuttable in 1 or 2 years 

I forgot I signed Greg little to a little over vet min 2 year just to kick the tires on

I'll probably end up drafting Addison if he's there in this , and then fill up depth , the 3 3rd rounds will help with that

Edited by Cbrunn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

I wanted to bring back Edmonds but he went for like 6 apy

I got Rapp for like 4 apt for 3 or 4 years i forget 

I probably overpaid for most of the FAs though all are easily cuttable in 1 or 2 years 

I forgot I signed Greg little to a little over vet min 2 year just to kick the tires on

I'll probably end up drafting Addison if he's there in this , and then fill up depth , the 3 3rd rounds will help with that

1 OL…1 DL…offensive weapon…wildcard pick wherever you see fit.

@Cbrunn

quite a post there,  as you had dealings with  dionte and mitch . I see dj traded (nice trade btw) and nothing about mitch. What do we get for him?

Tranquil seems like a solid player, but would you prefer him instead of R.Evans or Van Noy? I always thought KVN was a smart LB, and he can play outside  and passrush as well, versatile.  

I still prefer the idea of trading up to 31 so we have an extra player with 5th year option ¬¬

do we draft Mauch for LT ? that would be 2 maulers on the left side, much improved.  Moore could be the versatile swing OL eventually once the starters settle in.   What would you expect Risner  cap price to be?

With this draft class strong at CB,  lets hope they get one early.  I did see that you have them keeping Sutton, while many out there fear he will go to Minny . 

Justin Houston would be a great signing but I think he still wants to get starter # of reps or close to it and not sure that will happen here.  KVN could help out with rotation.

Mitch / William Jackson / whiterspoon / gunner were cut 

TJ / Minkah / Heyward restructured

Sutton was transition tagged, expected to workout a long term deal , but he's asking 15apy in this simulation...so we'll visit that in the off-season 

Signings

SMB - 5 for 54 

Kyzir white - 4 for 32 

Risner - 3 for 24 

Rapp - 3 for 11 

Kazee - 3 for 5 

Tranquill - 4 for 33 

All the other depth signings were basically vet min 

After every round players who hasn't signed APY come down 

Notable players left 

Bunch of edge guys asking over 15 , but with the trade for Browning , backup edge no longer is an issue 

IDL 

Guys I'm looking at, Andrew Billings or A Shawn Robinson , both are still asking 7.5 APY hoping they make it a couple more rounds to drop that a little bit more  

Larry O but he wants 11 apy right now 

Sheldon rankings is at 9 apy

13 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

After every round players who hasn't signed APY come down 

Notable players left 

Bunch of edge guys asking over 15 , but with the trade for Browning , backup edge no longer is an issue 

IDL 

Guys I'm looking at, Andrew Billings or A Shawn Robinson , both are still asking 7.5 APY hoping they make it a couple more rounds to drop that a little bit more  

Larry O but he wants 11 apy right now 

Sheldon rankings is at 9 apy

What are you doing this on?

8 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

So we're basically 3 rounds into FA figured I'd post my off-season see what y'all think

I got about 9 Mill left to let the Dline market settle and get a spot starter

Depth Chart

Offense

QB - Kenny Pickett / Mason Rudolph  - - I think Mason wants to leave. If the $$$ can be renegotiated, I would rather have Mitch Tribisky. He's mobile, knows the offense, and I think he is an improving and solid back-up for the Steelers. 

RB - Najee Harris / Jaylen Warren / Anthony McFarland - - I like this, but would not be averse to drafting a scatback later. McFarland can't seem to stay healthy. I would love to find the scatback version of Jaylen Warren in free agency.

FB - Derek Watt / Connor Heyward -- This is a solid group. Both could be used more to help the offense expand by doing more running and receiving.

TE - Pat Freiermuth / Zach Gentry - - They could really use a great blocker.  I think Connor could help with the receiving threat.  

WR - Courtland Sutton / George Pickens / Calvin Austin / Steven Sims - - I think we are disappointed in Dionte, but he will be here at least another year.  I  would like to see another veteran, but I think it is in addition to Dionte and not as high profile as Sutton.

LT - Dan Moore / Greg Little - - Would not be a bad addition, but I think the team looks to sign a player like Little and draft a OT relatively high. 

LG - Dalton Risner / Kevin Dotson - - I would sign a LG. I like big Ben Powers from the Ravens.  Dotson seems to need competition.

C - Mason Cole / JC / Kevin Green - - I would be looking to draft a future OC. I like the top two, but draft a center and let him develop.

RG - James Daniels - - I love this guy. He and Cole are good pieces to build around and grow from.

RT - Chuks - - I would not be surprised if Chuks get cut due to $$$. He is not bad but I think there are guys in this draft at #32 or #49 who can fit the bill.  I am not against putting Dan Moore here. He is a better mauler and run blocker than a pass blocker.

Defense

DE - Cam Heyward / DeMarvin Leal / Isiah Loudermilk - - I would not mind seeing them draft a player and I think you have to make a pitch for Ogunjobi.  He was good and effective when he was there. Loudermilk needs to step up in 2023.

DT - Montavious Adams/ Carlos Davis - - Looking to replace or improve both of these guys.

EDGE - TJ Watt / Alex Highsmith / Baron Browning / Jamir Jones - - I would look to bring in Bud Dupree or Chase Winovich.

ILB - Drue Tranquill / Kazir White / Mark Robinson - - I am going to spend $$$ here on Edmunds.  If not a 2 year on Bobby Wagner. I bring Spillane baack as well.

CB - Sean Murphy-Bunting / Cam Sutton / Levi Wallace / Arthur Mullet / Mark Gilbert - - Draft a player. In Andy Weidl I trust.

FS - Minkah Fitzpatrick / Tre Norwood/ Miles Killebrew - - Not bad for depth.

SS - Taylor RappDamonte Kazee / Duke Dawson  - - I am keeping Edmunds if I can. I love Kazee.

Moves

Signed

Taylor Rapp, Drue Tranquill, Kyzir white, Sean Murphy-Bunting, Dalton Risner  - - I like most of the positions, but I prefer different players.

Trades

Diontae Johnson to NYG for 3rd + 5th + 2024 conditional 3rd

32 + 5th + Quincy Roche to Denver for Courtland Sutton + Baron Browning + 67 - - I have to say no. I am not parting with that #32 pick.

I would prefer those two top 32 picks. The three #3's look good, but it is at a cost.  I am not sure the juice is worth the squeeze here. 

Draft 

Very good post though. Like I said, I like the positions, but not necessarily the people. I want a higher impact ILB.

52 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Very good post though. Like I said, I like the positions, but not necessarily the people. I want a higher impact ILB.

what about R.Evans or Van Noy? KVN is versatile, can play edge if required. Evans had a solid season, maybe Minkah can be a reference on the resume ¬¬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Some of those guys you wanted like Edmunds, went for I think like close to 20mil apy 

He's not 11mil better then White or Tranquil  

Powers went for a bit more plus he had like 3 other bids so I didn't want to get in a war and not get anyone 

Dupree and Wagner didn't get cut in this 

Also some teams have like 70 mil to spend , with no obligations or cares about following years so most guys get overpaid 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

what about R.Evans or Van Noy? KVN is versatile, can play edge if required. Evans had a solid season, maybe Minkah can be a reference on the resume ¬¬

Evans had a bunch of tackles , but didn't grade well on PFF ... Now I know that's not the be all end all ... But it's a reference

Kvn is still available, I considered him but with getting Baron Browning didn't even to spend the extra on edge depth

57 minutes ago, Cbrunn said:

no to bed but yes to Wagner. Cut Jack and sign Wagner, about an even cap move. Could they even trade Jack at all?

Evans might not have graded out as well but  would be a good vet next to Wagner and then Robinson could learn from these vets.  Maybe the Falcons defence was part to blame for Evans grading or does PFF account for that as well? 

Our ILB's haven't had leaders in a while. 

1 hour ago, Cbrunn said:

Some of those guys you wanted like Edmunds, went for I think like close to 20mil apy 

current value comparison of Wagner $10M (his rams deal)  vs Edmunds $20M.... I would say this is easy to decide for Wagner.  3 years down the road, thats a different story, but then KP will be up for a new deal then as well . 

Sign Wagner and Evans, let Robinson learn from them . Cut Jack or try to trade hime - what could we get for him?

20 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

I agree not $10-$11 million better, but I am not sure that many for these free agents get what many "so called" experts think. I don't think that many will. I like Edmonds and even Wagner (despite his age), but  at the right price. I think Edmunds can develop into the guy that the Steelers have longed for since the development of Ryan Shazier pre injury.  I also don't want to settle for less and get $10-$11 less in production and consistency.  The Steelers have struggled in the middle with consistency since Shazier.

Powers went for a bit more plus he had like 3 other bids so I didn't want to get in a war and not get anyone 

It is early and all speculation at this point.  However, I think he can have a James Daniels type of effect and gives strength in the run game and depth (Dotson needs competition) along the OL. 

I understand. I just threw those names out as it occurred.  That is kind of my point, there will be names that get added the closer we get towards the start of free agency and even with the draft rankings. That will help prioritize what happens.

Also some teams have like 70 mil to spend, with no obligations or cares about following years so most guys get overpaid 

I think that depends.  The guys sign these huge contracts and many never get to see most of it because they fail to play to the money and the teams priorities change from year to year. 

21 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I feel better about Evans.  I am not sure that he is a long term answer.  I am looking to fix the leaking at ILB.  I would rather sign Wagner and look to draft his replacement. or Sign Edmonds and let him grow with Minkah, Watt, and Highsmith.