John Fox is still employed

G08

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I think Pace uses FA to bring guys into his building to see if they fit his culture and if they produce in this system. If they do, they get paid (see: Hicks, Akiem). If they don't, they get bounced (see: Glennon, Mike).

I have no problem with that. Would I rather him hit? Of course! But he's also not putting us in cap hell by blowing his load on signing these players. For a rebuilding team I have zero problem with that.

The pro personnel department needs to be significantly better if this rebuild is going to get out of neutral.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There are certain facts that we really cannot argue about Ryan Pace

1. Hiring John Fox was a disaster

2. He has not been very good in free agency

3. His drafts have been good and appear to be getting better

I will not argue that his drafts have not been solid-good, but we need to stop pretending that his free agency spending has not been concerning. 

Let's be honest this had very little to do with Pace.

Just now, WindyCity said:

That is largely conjecture. There have been reports on both sides.

He is the GM, Fox is his HC, if he was pushed into it he has to wear it.

I used to not believe it either until Gabriel said Accorsi was involved in the HC coaching search as well and strongly pushed Fox to be the guy since Pace was so inexperienced.

Just now, G08 said:

I used to not believe it either until Gabriel said Accorsi was involved in the HC coaching search as well and strongly pushed Fox to be the guy since Pace was so inexperienced.

And Hoge and Jahns have talked about how Pace was the final decision maker.

We will never know the actual dynamic of the room.

But it is unfair and biased to absolve Pace of any blame for the coaching meltdown that has happened. The GM is not a bystander in what happens with his team in any phase.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That is largely conjecture. There have been reports on both sides.

He is the GM, Fox is his HC, if he was pushed into it he has to wear it.

I don't think anyone believes it was all Pace or anywhere close to it.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think anyone believes it was all Pace or anywhere close to it.

Again does not absolve him of blame.

If you are the GM of the team you take responsibility for who your HC is an how long he ruins your team.

Pace should get 2 more years no questions asked to see through this Trubisky thing and see if he can hire a coach who does not suck. But I do not think he deserves an extension and he does not deserve the impassioned defense of his clear flaws. Pace has done some good things, but as I said earlier the best we can say is that he is an incomplete, because there have been enough bad moves to raise serious questions.

Pace needs to get the coaching hire correct.

He needs to show a significant improvement in free agency and pro personnel

He needs to continue his strong drafting

If he fails at any of those things I will expect the Bears to be limited in their improvement and that we will need to have a serious conversation about Pace long term. 5-6 wins next year is unacceptable in year 4.

The Rams hit in all 3 areas last year

mcVay and Phillips

Whitworth, Woods and Watkins

Gerald Everett, Cooper Kupp, John Johnson starts at safety. That was all without a 1st round pick.

The Bears need to have that type of offseason. I have questions about whether the Pro Personnel side is up to the challenge.

My whole point is if Pace has another crap year which its highly likely the bears have another crap year and its realistic the bears firing him after one more bad year just save everyone's time and give him the axe now.  We don't need a new coach with a lame duck GM 

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Again does not absolve him of blame.

If you are the GM of the team you take responsibility for who your HC is an how long he ruins your team.

Pace should get 2 more years no questions asked to see through this Trubisky thing and see if he can hire a coach who does not suck. But I do not think he deserves an extension and he does not deserve the impassioned defense of his clear flaws. Pace has done some good things, but as I said earlier the best we can say is that he is an incomplete, because there have been enough bad moves to raise serious questions.

No one is saying it does but you can't put the blame solely at his feet when he wasn't the lead guy in the search.

Archived